Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running cables through stud Wall to contain TV

Options
  • 08-07-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Having a new stud wall built in front of a chimney breast on which I'll be mounting a TV with the aim to hide all the cables within the wall. So there'll be a power socket directly behind the TV, so I have a clean look.

Consoles, decoders etc will be off to the side of it. So cables will need to pass through the wall, run about a meter horizontally and down.

Is there an easy way of doing this? The electrician says he can run a few different HDMI or whatever I like cables and leave them hanging out either side of the wall for when they're plastered.

The problem is then I'm stuck with whatever cables he puts in, and if they break or are superseded I'll have to cut apart the stud wall and insulation to replace them. Surely, there must be some way of having a tube or something running through the walls, that I can pull whatever cables I need through with a coat hanger?

Does anyone know any solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Always install cables in conduit ( "tube") of a suitable size and install a pull through wire also.
    Plenty of videos on youtube , this one should give you a general idea.

Basically, never ever plaster directly over cables , thats a cowboy electricians lazy ass habit , always use conduit , as you will have to replace cables at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSV4iY2tG-U

Advertisement