Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Congrats, Das Kitty! :)

I've spent the last while working on a draft in Irish. It now contains 40 pieces, the earliest of which were first written in 2005/2006. :eek: Eight pieces still need work, but this is already by far the biggest translation project I've ever attempted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pixelburp wrote: »
    A short story right? "Full of riding" hehe; I have at least one immediate request for clarification ... :D
    Yeah a short story.
    So do we have a timeline of when we might expect?

It will be the autumn I think, but I'll let ye know when I know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I had 18 submissions in a row that came to nothing before this one. I haven't had anything published since June two years ago. Keep on plugging away, you just need the right person to read it.

This "new" story's first version on my laptop is dated March 2013. It's been driving me bananas for 7 years.

Delighted for you.

Now I can tell myself there’s nothing wrong with my writing. My only problem is a lack of persistence.

echo beach wrote: »
    Delighted for you.

Now I can tell myself there’s nothing wrong with my writing. My only problem is a lack of persistence.

It's true. When I started someone told me to always have at least two things on submission, so you always keep the little bit of hope when you get a rejection. The good thing about getting rejected is you have your piece back to send out again. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ooooh how exciting: out of curiosity I thought I'd see if there were any updates on the portal used to submit to that RTÉ competition from months back. The status of my entry has changed (again) to ... "In Progress". Crazy that was back in May. Not that it hasn't been said a thousand times already but this has been a very long year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From here:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

"Over 4000 entries received; shortlist to be announced early September"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Ooooh how exciting: out of curiosity I thought I'd see if there were any updates on the portal used to submit to that RTÉ competition from months back. The status of my entry has changed (again) to ... "In Progress". Crazy that was back in May. Not that it hasn't been said a thousand times already but this has been a very long year so far.

Yup, I noticed my status was in progress earlier this week with the shortlist to come next week. I got momentarily excited but then I realised they are probably not using submittable the way it should be used, i.e. not declining people as soon as they drop out of contention. I presume they'll go through and mass reject people after the shortlist is announced. Shame. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Mr E wrote: »
    From here:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

"Over 4000 entries received; shortlist to be announced early September"

Haha, with four thousand entries this is basically akin to a lottery at some point.

Haha, with four thousand entries this is basically akin to a lottery at some point.

Just as well I hid my lucky numbers in the story so!!

The RTE page has been updated to say the shortlist will be announced “very soon” — we are to keep an eye on our inboxes and RTE’s Culture webpage.

• Advertisement

Update: shortlist will be announced on Saturday at 8AM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Early in the morning; wonder why that is. Does it say if the shortlisted pieces will be published as well, or just the authors of each?

Haha, trying to imagine if by some grotesque confluence of the stars I made it onto the list. Passing out from shock seems the likeliest First Response! :D

8am saturday seems an odd time, i wonder if that has something to do with the publication process for non-news pieces of rte.ie? Doesn’t make any sense. And in the meantime watch your inbox? T’is madness i tells ya.
    Best thing to do is ignore them and scour https://www.dystopianstories.com/writing-competitions-contests/ for the next place to send your story

Early in the morning; wonder why that is. Does it say if the shortlisted pieces will be published as well, or just the authors of each?

Haha, trying to imagine if by some grotesque confluence of the stars I made it onto the list. Passing out from shock seems the likeliest First Response! :D

Unsure re early in the morning, I remember last year it was roughly around six o' clock in the evening. I imagine only the authors will be named -- the stories aren't usually published until the actual winners are announced, then the top three are usually published on the journal and the rest of them are published in tandem with their radio reading.
    km85264 wrote: »
    8am saturday seems an odd time, i wonder if that has something to do with the publication process for non-news pieces of rte.ie? Doesn’t make any sense. And in the meantime watch your inbox? T’is madness i tells ya.
    Best thing to do is ignore them and scour https://www.dystopianstories.com/writing-competitions-contests/ for the next place to send your story

Watch your inbox -- I assume they'll be sending out acceptances and rejections via submittable ahead of time.

Neither long nor short for me, to be expected. Just glad it gave me a little push.

Having read the odd winning entry here and there it comes across like judges gravitate towards the more experimental or intense material. That's not meant to sound bitter mind but it's not my jam so doubt I'm ever in with an ass' roar.

It's funny cos I'd predominantly read sci-fi of all hues yet when I try my hand at it, it comes off phony. Especially if I go really nuts with the premise. So while I've thought of entering smaller niche competitions around the genre I've nothing to show either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

There’s always next year, as they say in Mayo😀

Neither long nor short for me, to be expected. Just glad it gave me a little push.

Having read the odd winning entry here and there it comes across like judges gravitate towards the more experimental or intense material. That's not meant to sound bitter mind but it's not my jam so doubt I'm ever in with an ass' roar.

It's funny cos I'd predominantly read sci-fi of all hues yet when I try my hand at it, it comes off phony. Especially if I go really nuts with the premise. So while I've thought of entering smaller niche competitions around the genre I've nothing to show either.

Very pleased to say that I got a special mention. Probably about the 10th time I've entered and the fist time I've got anything so maybe I'm getting the hang.

I think experimental/intense is a good way to grab the judges' attention. In a field of 4000 entries you need something that makes you stand out, but if that's not your thing then no point doing it. You have to be true to yourself. What I was going for was a strong voice, something that would sound good read by an actor. Having said that, mine was also experimental (the narrator is the wind/rain/sea) and intense (the protagonist's baby dies, then his wife commits suicide) so maybe you're right.

I agree on the sci fi thing, have read sci fi all my life but when i try to write it, it's crap. I get too obsessed with the details of the world and the characters become flat.

No luck for me either, onto the next one I suppose! Posting together up to the deadline was pretty fun, is there another competition deadline in a month or two that we could all submit to?
    Very pleased to say that I got a special mention. Probably about the 10th time I've entered and the fist time I've got anything so maybe I'm getting the hang.

I think experimental/intense is a good way to grab the judges' attention. In a field of 4000 entries you need something that makes you stand out, but if that's not your thing then no point doing it. You have to be true to yourself. What I was going for was a strong voice, something that would sound good read by an actor. Having said that, mine was also experimental (the narrator is the wind/rain/sea) and intense (the protagonist's baby dies, then his wife commits suicide) so maybe you're right.

I agree on the sci fi thing, have read sci fi all my life but when i try to write it, it's crap. I get too obsessed with the details of the world and the characters become flat.

Fair play km, getting a mention out of 4k+ entries is an incredible feat. Would love to read your piece if you felt comfortable PMing it to me but if you would rather not, no bother, I completely understand wanting to keep boards/writing separate.

That’s brilliant news! Congratulations.
    I can never write anything the right length for that one. I’ve only entered once and came nowhere.

My story is being published in November in The Stinging Fly. I feel safe enough it’s going to happen after all the editing work that we put in over the past month!

It will probably be on the website, though I’m hoping for the mag. It’s very long though, so I’m keeping my expectations low.

I also found out another story is going to be translated to Italian. It’s great to have a few boosts in a row!

• Advertisement

Congratulations, you must be delighted; I echo others' thoughts, if you feel like / can share the piece.

Yeah, I've tried pushing in more intense or experimental directions before - just to see if I could - and it almost always came off feeling inauthentic or overwrought in a very adolescent way. Or at least that was what the self-criticism said so who knows. In the main, I find it very hard to keep that kind of narrative intensity up for long - and quickly becomes uncomfortably adjacent to the whole "tortured artist" cliché I try to avoid. I want to still enjoy this hobby so try to keep it all light :D

Ian McDonald (Luna) sat an interesting course in the Irish Writers Centre back in 2018; one item he mentioned that still acts as a useful guide was to either write "the ordinary in an extraordinary world", or "the extraordinary in an ordinary world",which seems bloody obvious 'til I realised part of my problem was writing extra-ordinary in extraordinary worlds :D

Now comedy on the other hand ... I'd love to be able to write good comedy but I'd argue it's one of the hardest art forms around. Be it writing or performing.

Is there another competition deadline in a month or two that we could all submit to?

I echo this question. I'd love to write towards a goal like this.

Nanowrimo might happen this year for me (only 6 weeks away).
    My girlfriend and I are thinking about collaborating on a short story collection under a pseudonym.

No luck for me either, onto the next one I suppose! Posting together up to the deadline was pretty fun, is there another competition deadline in a month or two that we could all submit to?

Fair play km, getting a mention out of 4k+ entries is an incredible feat. Would love to read your piece if you felt comfortable PMing it to me but if you would rather not, no bother, I completely understand wanting to keep boards/writing separate.

I tried to PM it but my browser/the form objected to the o-fada. If you want to PM me your email I'll pass on a copy.

That’s brilliant news! Congratulations.
    I can never write anything the right length for that one. I’ve only entered once and came nowhere.

My story is being published in November in The Stinging Fly. I feel safe enough it’s going to happen after all the editing work that we put in over the past month!

It will probably be on the website, though I’m hoping for the mag. It’s very long though, so I’m keeping my expectations low.

I also found out another story is going to be translated to Italian. It’s great to have a few boosts in a row!

Well done, I've been trying for Stinging Fly forever and not so much of a sniff. Let us know when it's up/printed.

I echo this question. I'd love to write towards a goal like this.

I always keep an eye on https://dystopianstories.com/writing-competitions-contests/ although it's quiet enough over the next month. I sent a later draft of this story to the Manchester Fiction Prize, closes on Friday, but it's £18 and I suspect with the size of the prize that it's out of my league. Still , the only way to win competitions/short listings is to keep entering.
    Also don't know if I've mentioned this on here before but I'm a big fan of the ongoing competition in Writers' Forum magazine: https://writers-forum.com/short-story-contest/ £6 to enter and £5 for a critique, but I've found the critiques are superb and an excellent way to bring a story that bit closer to competition ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well I didn't get there either, but, it was my first attempt and I am glad I gave it a go.

Dan.

Well done, I've been trying for Stinging Fly forever and not so much of a sniff. Let us know when it's up/printed.

Same here. It came after 18 straight rejections so all the sweeter.

Between a Francis MacManus mention and an upcoming publication in The Stinging Fly, the rest of us are in good company! Congratulations to both of you, Das Kitty and km.

@km, I sent you a private message there with my email address but it didn't show up in my sent box so let me know if it went through.

I think I could commit to this one. Anything before November would be too much for me with my current schedule. But if you guys would prefer to submit to something before then, don't let me stop you.

• Advertisement

Between a Francis MacManus mention and an upcoming publication in The Stinging Fly, the rest of us are in good company! Congratulations to both of you, Das Kitty and km.

@km, I sent you a private message there with my email address but it didn't show up in my sent box so let me know if it went through.

I think I could commit to this one. Anything before November would be too much for me with my current schedule. But if you guys would prefer to submit to something before then, don't let me stop you.

That's probably worth a tenner, though it's hard to know what they'll be looking for : "We set no limits on length or presentation and allow combinations of prose and poetry as well as dialectic and colloquial speech patterns, unusual grammatical formulation and anastrophe."
    Still, all you can do is send your best work, then find the next competition.

Advertisement