Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching a three pin plug

Options
  • 03-07-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As a rule, I wouldn’t be great with electrics, and if any DIY is other than
    Very basic, I employ a professional.
    However I have this humidifier air mist thing, and the plug was dropped and broke. I finally got around to replacing the plug, but when I stripped back the lead, it’s only got a black and a red wire ( it’s probably a Chinese device) so
    Which wire goes where? Never came across this before...
    Any info would be be greatly appreciated
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Can you post a pic of the broken plug, I suspect it may have been a power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Can you post a pic of the broken plug, I suspect it may have been a power supply.

Sorry, in the bin. But it was one of those permanently attached at factory.
    I had to cut it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Was it a standard plug? Some of them air cleaners use a transformer with in the plug

keithdub wrote: »
    Was it a standard plug? Some of them air cleaners use a transformer with in the plug

Standard three pin....

Please post a pic of the cable and any information plate on the humidifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Standard three pin....
    You say standard 3 pin but it could be a 3 pin with a big lump of a back on it versus the ordinary 3 pin. That would be a transformer.

On reflection, this thing only cost a few quid,
    So safest thing maybe is to bin it and replace.
    Thanks all for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

If theres only 2 wires ..it would suggest theres no earth wire..so red would be live + and the black would be neutral..

Turbohymac wrote: »
    If theres only 2 wires ..it would suggest theres no earth wire..so red would be live + and the black would be neutral..

Or red could be a positive and black a negative from an extra low voltage power supply built into the original plug top. A basic voltage dropping circuit could easily be built into a device not much larger than a standard plug top, especially if the manufacturer skips some safety components.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

You're right brightspark.. but its crap or bust..just connect it up and it either works or not.. if the original plug is gone in the bin ....worst case scenario he will trip a breaker.. he could Google the exact make and model of appliance but that's another 50 posts.. connect up and it either works or else goes in the bin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Turbohymac wrote: »
    worst case scenario he will trip a breaker.

The words of someone that didn't spend enough of their childhood blowing stuff up. I can think of scenarios like the low voltage electrolytics going off like firecrackers, shooting molten electrolyte through the vents causing burns, setting fire to the carpet and making the entre room smell like cat piss :pac::pac:

Advertisement