Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I will throw in another question while the acronym is pondered...

The Victorians were seriously into mourning - it was a significant industry of clothing, mementos, jewellery and photographs - what was the black gemstone that was principally used to make the buttons and ornaments favoured at the time?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jet? Onyx?

No, I'd say jet, hence jet black.

Yes, jet. Poor Albert's demise created an industry of jet carving for some 40 or 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

New Home wrote: »
    Best of the best?

Body odour to boot?

Nope

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Bring Out The Beer

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Bottom of the barrel ?

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Bottom of the barrel ?

No

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Another good word: what's a snollygoster?

BOTG: Buy one then go?

(covid-shopping-related?)

feargale wrote: »
    Which reigning king is the greatgrandson of an Irishman?

For this and BOTB do yez want a clue or the answers?

• Advertisement

(Showing age...) BOTB - British Overseas Trade Board or more likely, Battle of the Bands.

For this and BOTB do yez want a clue or the answers?

Speaking for myself, yes please.

I'm OOMD* and CAS**.

*Out of my depth

**Clutching at straws

Speaking for myself, yes please.

Does that mean yes, a clue or yes, answers or yes, we have no bananas?

P.S. My stupid laptop is refusing to post this, telling me my message is too short, so I have to lengthen it. How's your father?

Does that mean yes, a clue or yes, answers or yes, we have no bananas?

P.S. My stupid laptop is refusing to post this, telling me my message is too short, so I have to lengthen it. How's your father?

1. I'm in stitches!!! (He's not too great, tbh, but thanks for asking - do you know him? :pac:)
    2. Thanks for the "No bananas" earworm.
    3. Yes please, I need a clue (or a ball of yarn).

1. I'm in stitches!!! (He's not too great, tbh, but thanks for asking - do you know him? :pac:)

Sorry to learn that if you're being serious.

Clues.

1. The king: Middle East.

2. BOTB: Cave taurum.

King: The King of Jordan? (Don't know his name)

King: The King of Jordan? (Don't know his name)

The answer is correct but the question is wrong. Abdullah II's mother is Toni Gardiner from an English military family. I read years ago that her grandfather was from Co. Down but everything I read in the net now contradicts that.

Apologies.

Well taurus is bull, cave means something like hide! so I presume its beware of the bull (among other things :D)

looksee wrote: »
    Well taurus is bull, cave means something like hide! so I presume its beware of the bull (among other things :D)

Absolutely correct. :)

I owe a question -
    What is Hexakosioihexekkontahexaphobia?

• Advertisement

Fear of long words?

No! I only asked it because I liked the word. You could make a stab at figuring it out from the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Would it be a fear of the number 666 ?

Ah yes, 'hexa'.

Correct Bonzodog, your go!

Bumpity bump!

Jeepers, sound charming - taxidermy for two to take away, anyone? :|

Roxane's real name was Magdalene Robin, which I found interesting because Roxane means (sort of) ”russet”, Mary Magdalene had red hair and robins have red breasts. :)

Replacement question: what does "scurryfunge" mean?

"Scurryfunge" is the quick (well, frantic) tidying up you do when guests are on their way. :D

Now, yet another replacement question: what does the acronym TriBeCa mean? Yes, it's an area in NY, but what do those syllables stand for? (In my defence, I've never been to New York, but I've only found out tonight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I believe its the "triangle below canal street"
    Now I owe ye 2 questions

Lol, I was tossing around all sorts of combinations and didn't get anywhere near to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Out of the blue question, cos I'm bored. :)

What do Strombolian, Peléan and Plinian reference?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement