Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westie with ears problem

• 24-06-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've a 12 year old westie and she seems to have problems with her ears. Vet wants to sedate her to remove the hair in her ears so that he can see into her ear to identify the issue.

Anyone know if this is what'd be required? Or is it excessive?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Absolutely not excessive. It could be the start of something considerably more extensive to get the proper treatment in place. Westies are absolute martyrs to their skin and their ears.
    The first port of call is to pluck the ears both to get a good look in, but also to allow better air flow into the ear, and to allow topical treatment to get to the skin where it's needed.
    There may be an infection there. There probably is. Hopefully, it'll be mild enough that topical treatment and/or antibiotics will hit it. More severe cases can require surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

as somebody who has a dog that had excessive ear issues had to be cleaned every 3 days

after many different treatments we eventually hit the proper one for her now its just once a month

our savour otomax ear drops

its very important to find the cause and type of infection if its yeast based water will be your biggest enemy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I have a dog with excessive ear wax and it drives him cuckoo. He regularly gets sedated and his ears cleaned by my vet and then its grand for abt 3/4 months during tose months i use special drops and clean them with cotton wool and a gentle cleaner. yes do what the vet says you wont believe the relief he will get. They get very agitated if you leave it too long just do it .

I have a dog with excessive ear wax and it drives him cuckoo. He regularly gets sedated and his ears cleaned by my vet and then its grand for abt 3/4 months during tose months i use special drops and clean them with cotton wool and a gentle cleaner. yes do what the vet says you wont believe the relief he will get. They get very agitated if you leave it too long just do it .

have you tried otomax

discuss with your vet worked wonders with our little lady

its terrible to see them agitated little pets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

jimf wrote: »
    have you tried otomax

can I get it over the counter or is it POM?

• Advertisement

lanod2407 wrote: »
    can I get it over the counter or is it POM?

I get it from my vet

as with all medicine discuss with your vet first just because its ok for mine may be different for your little guy

priced very reasonably about 10eu last for ages

Advertisement