Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vrt values for homebuilds

Options
  • 18-06-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Anyone willing to share what they ended up getting charged on vrt on there conversions. Finding it really difficult to get any consistent info on what value they are putting on basic home conversions. Some info seems to suggest that they price them at retail money for factory conversions which seems totally ludicrous other people have said that they have got pretty reasonable bills. Be interested to see what people have been made pay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

From what I've seen, there isn't any consistency on the values arrived at by revenue. It seems to be the vrt that would have been charged on that year of campervan.
    If you bought a 2012 Ducato van for €5000, spent another €2000 on converting, Revenue will still value it as a factory built 2012 Ducato camper.
    You "should" expect to pay 13.5% of €7000, but Revenue will charge 13.5% of what they perceive a 2012 camper is worth. Which could be €20000 or more.
    Nonsensical, lazy logic, but there you go.
    It's why I'm thinking of buying an older converted camper and refurbishing

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

That would be my fear it is meant to be charged at what the value of the camper would be if sold retail but It seems like they have been known to value homebuilds the same as factory conversions which would be ridiculous but not surprising unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Hooked

enumbers wrote: »
    Anyone willing to share what they ended up getting charged on vrt on there conversions. Finding it really difficult to get any consistent info on what value they are putting on basic home conversions. Some info seems to suggest that they price them at retail money for factory conversions which seems totally ludicrous other people have said that they have got pretty reasonable bills. Be interested to see what people have been made pay.

2005 VW T5 (2 years ago) plus a full DIY build cost of 1500.
    They value the van itself, you need to prove the build cost!
    They charged me 902 euro VRT... which is calculated at 13.3%

If you reverse engineer the maths... they "valued" the van at roughly
    5280 (+1500 build cost = 6780) when I paid 4500 for the van...
    They will aways take a high "open market selling price"

13.3% of 6780 is 902 euro.

In short - my VRT (2 years ago) on a then 13 year old van
    with a very basic build cost of 1500 quid (proven with receipts)
    was 902 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

As has been discussed here before start keeping evidence of similar van's for sale and use this for the basis of contesting the valuation. Everyone gets money back when they contest it in the end it's a public servant operating a system they know is ridiculous, if you do the legwork to cover their ass you will get money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Thanks for the info so far, I know its discussed a lot but actual prices versus costs etc are very seldom discussed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement