Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lurking pandemic - Hemochromatosis.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Guys, I'm very scared and hope you can help. I understand there can be no medical advice.

I am female and in my 20s, I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency 6 months ago and have had monthly injections since. The diagnosis was due to a blood test. No other areas of concern in the blood results whatsoever.

I had a follow up blood test 2 weeks ago and just got the results.
    Doctor said my liver is abnormal and I have too much iron.

Iron studies results removed

My B12 remains barely above the minimum despite multiple injections.

>>>As of this evening, the doctor has done another blood test to check for iron (without me having fasted beforehand), and she also did the genetic test. She said it could take 2 months for the genetic results- is this normal?

It doesn't help that my heart has felt a bit shaky the past few days, which I had attributed to overdoing my fitness workouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

First thing, if you understand that there can be no medical advice given, why are you posting results?

Other random nuggets of information:

1) Sticking a needle in tissue is no longer neccessarily the best way of diagnosing a condition.

2) These questions should be directed at your doctor (you haven't said if it is your GP but sounds like it is).

3) You've been around long enough to know that you should read the charter, so please remember in future that by putting something like "I'm not looking for medical advice" at the top does not negate the fact that you are doing just that.

I've changed Magenta's post to remove a comment which I felt could lead to medical advice being given out, and removed the ban I dished out. While the line between seeking medical advice and sharing experiences may be blurred (and indeed open to interpretation), it is best to steer clear of it, and tips on how to do so and to phrase questions so that you can avoid this are available in the stickies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

<Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

is this the only Haemochromitosis thread on boards?

Recently got diagnosed with this.
    Not much detailed information online .

Understand this is a while since it was raised.
    Is guinness still as bad as they say ?
    From what i can gather it only contains 3% of recommended daily iron intake per pint ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

carq wrote: »
    is this the only Haemochromitosis thread on boards?

Recently got diagnosed with this.
    Not much detailed information online .

Understand this is a while since it was raised.
    Is guinness still as bad as they say ?
    From what i can gather it only contains 3% or recommended iron intake per pint ?
    My mum has had this for quite a long time.
    She limits her alcohol and health wise has been fine. She has blood taken every few months depending on her iron levels then might have bloodletting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Just got an update from diagio

In the past Guinness had a higher iron content due to the iron vats it was stored in. Although it is still the same recipe used today 254 years later Guinness is no longer stored in iron vats so Guinness has quite a low natural iron content of 0.011mg per 100ml which would equate to 0.062 for a pint (568ml).

Quite low but also i know excess alcohol is discouraged as it increases iron absorption in general
    Compared to a breakfast cereal of 4.2MG per 30g serving it is fairly miniscule.

Advertisement