Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tri - Need advise on kit

Options
  • 07-06-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

All, there are probably a million of these threads but I'm looking for advice on the gear I need for my first tri. I've complete many duathlons and
    a few marathons so happy with running and cycling and have tri bars on bike etc, but I've never entered a triathlon before. I am new to swimming
    and obv' had my access to pools cut off so thought it's good time to get the kit and get into the sea.

I dont want to over expose myself on the investment but I'm also ok for buying the right kit. I probably wont end up doing many so again,
    I dont need the best kit. I don't event really know what I need apart from the wet suit, I assume you dont have running shorts and a top on
    under the suit, so dont know how I change or if I need a tri ruining suit?

Anyway, if anybody can steer me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

This is the required gear you use during a typical race:

Swim:
    Trisuit (worn through the race)
    Wetsuit
    Goggles (ok not strictly mandatory...)
    Swim cap
    timing chip on left ankle (provided by race organisers and worn throughout race)

Transition 1/Bike:
    Strip wetsuit, goggles, hat
    Put on Bike helmet
    Bike shoes
    Bike
    Number on your back (pinned or an elastic race belt)

T2/Run
    Leave helmet, bike, bike shoes
    Put on running shoes
    Number on your front (pinned or an elastic race belt)

There are other items permissible (glasses, talc in shoes, small towel, gels, drink, Garmin, etc) but not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

ok thanks. This is what I need.

Have everything from bike down. Does the race supply the cap? What type should I get for the sea? I just have cloth one you get for pools?

Is there anything I need to know about the fitting of the wetsuit/tri suit?
    How much do you recommend I spend on each, for a beginner?

Also what's the difference between the length of the sleeve on the suit, do I get a no sleeve, short or long?

Get yourself at couple of silicone caps- much more comfortable and you can wear a couple of caps if the water is cold (organisers cap is often thin).

Trisuit- I'd say go with your regular T-shirt size (if a Med tshirt get a Med trisuit). Some suits are better than others, but I've only noticed marginal gains for higher cost.

Wetsuit- its worth spending a bit extra and getting a proper fit from a store such as Bace2race. Correct fit is very important (I'm an XL in most gear, wear a Medium Tall in most wetsuits, for example). Get a full length suit. Buying a cheap suit online is a false economy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

You mean full length sleeves?

You mean full length sleeves?

Yes, fell length sleeves for the wetsuit- its only the very strongest swimmers who might get any benefit from sleeveless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement