Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here are the Young Men by Rob Doyle

Options
  • 29-11-2014 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading Dublin writer Rob Doyle's debut novel Here are the Young Men, having been recommended it by a relative. I must say, I was not a fan at all.

It was largely plotless, comprised mainly of tedious and repetitive episodes involving drugs, alcohol or sex.

The frequent and graphic depictions of violent acts seemed to be written by someone clearly besotted with Brett Easton Ellis, while trying to channel Irvine Welsh's skill at capturing Scots dialect, but for Dubliners.

I have no objection to profanity, but the pages were filled with such vile language it started to give me a headache. Here's an extract from page 22 of the 304 page book, in which the main, horribly unsympathetic characters yell at Bono's house in Killiney.

'C-NT! C-NT! F-CKIN GAY F-GGOT W-NK-STAIN BASTARD! F-CKING BASTARD! I F-CKIN HATE YE, I WANT YE TO F-CKIN DIE, YE F-CKIN W-NKER! I'LL COME IN THERE AND RAPE YER F-CKIN WIFE AND KILL YER F-CKIN BABIES! I'LL TORTURE THE LITTLE SH-T-STAINS, I'LL STICK ME F-CKIN COCK UP THEIR ARSES TILL IT PUSHES THEIR BRAINS OUT THEIR LITTLE DEAD F-CKIN MOUTHS! I'LL RIP THEIR LITTLE F-CKIN HEADS OFF AND I'LL STICK THEM UP ME ARSE WHILE YER F-CKIN C-NT WIFE LOOKS ON, THEN I'LL RAPE THAT SILLY LITTLE BITCH AND YE CAN WATCH, YE TOTAL F-CKIN SPASTIC YE.'

Anyone else read it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I read an excerpt- I think it was in the Indo?- tbh it doesn't seem like my thing. Don't think I'll be reading the whole thing either :pac:

Seems like misery for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Came highly recommended in the books of the year bit with the times yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Just finished reading Dublin writer Rob Doyle's debut novel Here are the Young Men, having been recommended it by a relative. I must say, I was not a fan at all.

It was largely plotless, comprised mainly of tedious and repetitive episodes involving drugs, alcohol or sex.

The frequent and graphic depictions of violent acts seemed to be written by someone clearly besotted with Brett Easton Ellis, while trying to channel Irvine Welsh's skill at capturing Scots dialect, but for Dubliners.

I have no objection to profanity, but the pages were filled with such vile language it started to give me a headache. Here's an extract from page 22 of the 304 page book, in which the main, horribly unsympathetic characters yell at Bono's house in Killiney.

'C-NT! C-NT! F-CKIN GAY F-GGOT W-NK-STAIN BASTARD! F-CKING BASTARD! I F-CKIN HATE YE, I WANT YE TO F-CKIN DIE, YE F-CKIN W-NKER! I'LL COME IN THERE AND RAPE YER F-CKIN WIFE AND KILL YER F-CKIN BABIES! I'LL TORTURE THE LITTLE SH-T-STAINS, I'LL STICK ME F-CKIN COCK UP THEIR ARSES TILL IT PUSHES THEIR BRAINS OUT THEIR LITTLE DEAD F-CKIN MOUTHS! I'LL RIP THEIR LITTLE F-CKIN HEADS OFF AND I'LL STICK THEM UP ME ARSE WHILE YER F-CKIN C-NT WIFE LOOKS ON, THEN I'LL RAPE THAT SILLY LITTLE BITCH AND YE CAN WATCH, YE TOTAL F-CKIN SPASTIC YE.'

Anyone else read it?

Yeah...****in loved it! :D

Advertisement