Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxsat 320 replacement?

Options
  • 30-10-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading from my trusty 12 year old Humax Foxsat 320. It's still going strong, but I think it might be time to think about a replacement before it dies.

I set up the Tiviar last year for my parents and they liked the fact that Saorview and the Sat channel were all on the same EPG.

But I'm in two minds about whether I'd prefer to stay with a Freesat brand box myself. In particular, I wasn't too sure how well the Tiviar would handle multiple recordings at the same time. Also I thought the design of the Tiviar's remote was very basic.

I like the way Freesat handles channel conflicts and the kind of smart stuff the Humax does to select alternative transponders or suggest +1 channels to eliminate recording conflicts.

So for anyone that upgraded from the Foxsat in recent years, did you opt for a newer generation Humax box or go down the Linux route and what influenced your decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I recently got a Humax HDR 1100S eBay seems to be the best source for these as they are not produced by Humax anymore. It does the same as HDR320 but interface is much better and it is wireless, although that is not really an advantage as all the on demand content is geo blocked.

There appear to be 500gb and 1TB versions available in reasonable quantity just need to decide who you buy from I guess.

Freesat have new boxes out (not manufactured by Humax) which can record four progs at once if you have the wide lnb fitted. Apparently these are not as good as the Humax boxes and this is backed up by the feedback I read through.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Trevord wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from my trusty 12 year old Humax Foxsat 320. It's still going strong, but I think it might be time to think about a replacement before it dies.

I set up the Tiviar last year for my parents and they liked the fact that Saorview and the Sat channel were all on the same EPG.

But I'm in two minds about whether I'd prefer to stay with a Freesat brand box myself. In particular, I wasn't too sure how well the Tiviar would handle multiple recordings at the same time. Also I thought the design of the Tiviar's remote was very basic.

I like the way Freesat handles channel conflicts and the kind of smart stuff the Humax does to select alternative transponders or suggest +1 channels to eliminate recording conflicts.

So for anyone that upgraded from the Foxsat in recent years, did you opt for a newer generation Humax box or go down the Linux route and what influenced your decision?

I have had a Humax HDR1100S for a few years now with no problems, never misses, works out of the box, postcode needed, that's it, yes no Saorview, but. The Linux boxes appear to thick most ot the boxes, Saorview and Satellite on one list, etc, a bit involved in set up, that can be an enjoyable challenge if that's your thing.

Advertisement