Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability appeal

• 12-11-2019 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I applied for disability allowance at the start of September and have received a letter last week to say it has been disallowed.

I have sent an email to appeal the decision.

Does anyone know what happens next and/or how long it is taking for a decision for the appeal in your experience?

Has the process gotten any quicker?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi I applied for disability allowance at the start of September and have received a letter last week to say it has been disallowed.

I have sent an email to appeal the decision.

Does anyone know what happens next and/or how long it is taking for a decision for the appeal in your experience?

Has the process gotten any quicker?

Many thanks

What are the grounds of your appeal and what supporting medical evidence did you attach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sunnydays123

I have sent them a letter from my doctor detailing my disability. I did not send any letter in the first application. The reason my application was rejected is they have said I am not totally restricted from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭bmc58

I have sent them a letter from my doctor detailing my disability. I did not send any in the first application.
    Were you examined by the Department's doctor already?

bmc58 wrote: »
    Were you examined by the Department's doctor already?

No i have not been examined by the department's doctor? Do you think this will be the next request from them?

No i have not been examined by the department's doctor? Do you think this will be the next request from them?

Well in my case it was.I worked for 15 years and had stamps for all those years and had a very serious accident and was out of work for about 18mths with little prospect of returning to work in the following couple of years(if ever).I applied for Invalidity Pension (which is different from disability benefit) and had to attend a Dept Dr for assessment.Now that was many years ago and things may be different now.

• Advertisement

bmc58 wrote: »
    Well in my case it was.I worked for 15 years and had stamps for all those years and had a very serious accident and was out of work for about 18mths with little prospect of returning to work in the following couple of years(if ever).I applied for Invalidity Pension (which is different from disability benefit) and had to attend a Dept Dr for assessment.Now that was many years ago and things may be different now.

Ok thanks for the information maybe I will be called for this next so. How long did your appeal take?

Ok thanks for the information maybe I will be called for this next so. How long did your appeal take?

My situation seems different to yours(and it was many years ago).I did not appeal anything as after about 18 mths on disability I was told to see a Dept Dr.But you have not got near that stage yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I was recently awarded invalidity and I assume the process is similar for both. I was initially disallowed last Feb or March and I lodged both an appeal and a review. You might as well do both. The review is faster. As far as I know the current wait time for an appeal is 12+months as the appeals office deals with all welfare claims. A review would be looked at by a different officer within the disability section. My invalidity review took about 6 or 7 months.

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I was recently awarded invalidity and I assume the process is similar for both. I was initially disallowed last Feb or March and I lodged both an appeal and a review. You might as well do both. The review is faster. As far as I know the current wait time for an appeal is 12+months as the appeals office deals with all welfare claims. A review would be looked at by a different officer within the disability section. My invalidity review took about 6 or 7 months.

Thank you, this gives me an idea of the timeframe. I would imagine it would be the same with the disability allowance. It's such a long time to wait but I suppose we have no other choice.

Advertisement