Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open drive/named drivers

Options
  • 23-10-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have my sister and her husband arriving over soon from Australia and I'm loaning them my car for the duration of their stay (27th October - 19th November). I was trying to add them on as temporary drivers to my current policy with Liberty but this is working out at around 200 euro which I think is pretty excessive as it's nearly half my annual premium.

They're both on Aussie licences so I'm not sure I could change to Open Drive. Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

I think you may suck it up and pay the additional premium to add them temporarily to the policy. Open drive only applies to drivers aged 25-70 with a full Irish or EU license so they won’t qualify in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Liberty policy document is a bit vague on this one. A condition for you (the insured) to drive other cars is that you need a full EU licence but the section dealing with other people driving you car (if you have open driving) has no such condition.

However, in the general conditions on p.4, it says the following ...

Description of drivers

Any person shown in the certificate of insurance can drive the vehicle. Where ‘any driver’ is shown, please see the schedule for any restrictions.

So the schedule may have the condition that 'any driver' holds a full EU licence. Along with the usual condition that they are driving with your permission and are aged between 25 and 70. You'll need to ask Liberty because no point in paying for open driving and then getting a schedule which says that your visitors can't drive your car because they don't have EU licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carslover1

For future, Allianz is offering to add temporarily additional driver to the policy for free (by 30 days in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Try adding them (or one of them) as permanent drivers for the duration of the Policy. Often works out cheaper than a temporary addition.
    Again the lack of an EU Licence may come into play. Although if either has held an Irish Licence within the past 10 years it may be enough to satisfy Liberty's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Most insurers will not add non-residents as permanent named drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Most may not. Others will. My Brother (who is resident in the USA for the past 13 years) has been a named driver on my Mother's Policy for the last 9 years....and yes, her insurers are aware of his status.
    He had renewed his Irish Licence shortly before moving to the USA. It has now expired, but apparently they are happy to accept him as a named driver as he has held an Irish Licence within the past 10 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement