Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another driver cut into my lane and collided with me.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You're over thinking it buddy. I wouldnt start thinking about automatic brakes and opening that can of worms with the insurer, also I'm fairly sure these aren't automatic, they just assist in an emergency stop. He changed lane in front of you and you hit him and you couldn't stop in time to avoid it. He's at fault, if you want the scratches fixed claim against his policy, his car and how he repairs it is his problem. The location of the damage on the 2 vehicles will be evidence as to what happened and who's at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

zubair wrote: »
    You're over thinking it buddy. I wouldnt start thinking about automatic brakes and opening that can of worms with the insurer, also I'm fairly sure these aren't automatic, they just assist in an emergency stop. He changed lane in front of you and you hit him and you couldn't stop in time to avoid it. He's at fault, if you want the scratches fixed claim against his policy, his car and how he repairs it is his problem. The location of the damage on the 2 vehicles will be evidence as to what happened and who's at fault.

That is basically it, in a nutshell.

Apologies for the stupid questions but I have never been in this situation before.
    If I want to claim off his insurer, do I have to ring them directly with his details, or will my insurer do that on my behalf?
    Obviously the least worst outcome is if I can get my car repaired at no cost and not have a claim on my own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yup, leave the safety braking feature out of it,
    The fact that his his driver side door was dinged as he tried to jump into a space (or none) kind of shows that he was forcing his way in..
    Also dont say you couldn't stop in time just that he crashed into the front of you...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

If you have photos of damage of scratches to his passenger door I dont know how he could claim he was not doing a dangerous manoeuvre. The damage of scratches on passenger door would indicate that he was not fully in the lane and his car was moving when the collision occurred.

If you had hit him at the rear of his car then he could claim he was fully in lane before the collision and you should have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Any chance you got the details of the driver behind you as a witness?

I've given my card to 3 or 4 people as potential witness. Never called though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any chance you got the details of the driver behind you as a witness?

I've given my card to 3 or 4 people as potential witness. Never called though

id said the fact that you came up as a witness put the person in the wrong off to fight it so the call was unnecessary, good thing to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

batman1 wrote: »
    If I want to claim off his insurer, do I have to ring them directly with his details, or will my insurer do that on my behalf?

You need to lodge a claim yourself directly withe the 3rd party's insurers. Your own insurers do not do this on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Basically, the other car is at fault.
    Indicator or not there is no right to cut in on an adjacent lane unless it is safe to do so e.g. adequate clearance.
    The physical evidence of the damage will help you considerably unless he is going to claim that he was stationary at 45 degrees to you and that you crashed in to him :rolleyes:

As others say above you have options.
    I would deal directly with his insurers and seek payment of 100% of my car damage + depreciation if car was new + car hire for period of repair.
    If offered a percentage of my claim on the basis of other driver's twist on the facts I would refuse and tell them to cough up 100% or I will see them in the District Court "as far as the property damage aspect of matters is concerned". I would be surprised if the other insurers defended the case.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Basically, the other car is at fault.
    Indicator or not there is no right to cut in on an adjacent lane unless it is safe to do so e.g. adequate clearance.
    The physical evidence of the damage will help you considerably unless he is going to claim that he was stationary at 45 degrees to you and that you crashed in to him :rolleyes:

As others say above you have options.
    I would deal directly with his insurers and seek payment of 100% of my car damage + depreciation if car was new + car hire for period of repair.
    If offered a percentage of my claim on the basis of other driver's twist on the facts I would refuse and tell them to cough up 100% or I will see them in the District Court "as far as the property damage aspect of matters is concerned". I would be surprised if the other insurers defended the case.

Thanks.

The damage on both cars clearly shows that in order for me to do the damage I would have had to been travelling in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Thanks.

The damage on both cars clearly shows that in order for me to do the damage I would have had to been travelling in reverse.
    I'm confused now, is the damage to your car front or rear?

• Advertisement

I'm confused now, is the damage to your car front or rear?

Front driver side bumper/wheel arch. The scratch pattern runs from rear to front. If I had run into something, the pattern would be the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Front driver side bumper/wheel arch. The scratch pattern runs from rear to front. If I had run into something, the pattern would be the other way around

You could still change lanes etc and be at fault..

I get what you're saying as you didn't but there is no definite way to prove that.

I reshaped a Audi A5 to an A3 when the guy decided to do a road rage and a crash 4 cash at the same time....
    He done this while I was driving a big bus and absolutely destroyed his car....

The idiot forgot there are CCTV cameras all over these and it proved what he done. I was found to have done nothing wrong.

What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Any update buddy? I'm losing sleep!

zubair wrote: »
    Any update buddy? I'm losing sleep!

Ha. I don't want you becoming ill thinking about it.

So, local bodywork guy says €150 to repair the scratches on my car. I haven't yet brought it to the main dealer as it's due a service anyway in the next few weeks so will get a quote from them but expect that to be higher.

I'll then offer the other driver the option to pay for the repair and if I get no joy then I will contact his insurer.
    My other option is to suck it up, get my own car repaired and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i would main dealer it if under warranty and new and especially if on a pcp .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

As well as installing a dashcam, another tip - always take a photo of the insurance disk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement