Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics vs orthopaedic shoes

Options
  • 19-09-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have flat feet, plantar fasciitis and basically constantly in pain with my feet.
    For sore feet, have you found orthotics or orthopaedic shoes like Ecco more helpful? I find it next to impossible to find shoes I can wear and not be in agony by lunchtime. But None of the shoes seem to be particularly attractive! I don’t mind investing in decent footwear but don’t want to buy and then discover they’re no use to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've been using orthotics for over 30 years. I have very flat feet and had symptoms similar to yours. The only thing that worked for me were the orthotics. Be careful where you get them. The first pair I got done were through a physio and sent to a lab in the UK to be manufactured. They were crap. The ones I use now are made by a practitioner in Dublin who has his own lab for manufacturing. PM me if you need a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Tropheus wrote: »
    I've been using orthotics for over 30 years. I have very flat feet and had symptoms similar to yours. The only thing that worked for me were the orthotics. Be careful where you get them. The first pair I got done were through a physio and sent to a lab in the UK to be manufactured. They were crap. The ones I use now are made by a practitioner in Dublin who has his own lab for manufacturing. PM me if you need a name.
    how long do they last you and how much do a pair cost ?? Thanks

They cost between €500-600 for a pair custom made. That's all in including the devices themselves and appointments/follow up.

They are carbon fibre so very hard wearing. I've had them last up to 10 years once they're looked after. You can also get them reconditioned for around €100 - that's replacing the insole cover and repairing any wear to the base. Grit in shoes is the biggest culprit in terms of ware. It's hard to avoid no matter how much you try.

They are expensive, but hard wearing. The first version I got were hard plastic and not as good in terms of wear, but technology for fitting and manufacturing has moved on a lot in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Tropheus wrote: »
    They cost between €500-600 for a pair custom made. That's all in including the devices themselves and appointments/follow up.

They are carbon fibre so very hard wearing. I've had them last up to 10 years once they're looked after. You can also get them reconditioned for around €100 - that's replacing the insole cover and repairing any wear to the base. Grit in shoes is the biggest culprit in terms of ware. It's hard to avoid no matter how much you try.

They are expensive, but hard wearing. The first version I got were hard plastic and not as good in terms of wear, but technology for fitting and manufacturing has moved on a lot in recent years.

Just wondering when u first started wearing the insole did it take long before u were pain free ??

Just wondering when u first started wearing the insole did it take long before u were pain free ??

It took a couple of weeks to adjust to the orthotics and then a couple of months before I was pain free. Everyone is different and has different biomechanical issues so experiences will also differ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement