Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combo box, irish+satelitte channels

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Linoge wrote: »
    I don’t know why nobody has mentioned this, but a Saorview Connect box would prob do the job perfectly. This would give you Saorview and Freesat, which is better than FTA Satellite from what I’ve read as you get 7 day EPG. You can also record if you add a USB stick. Will have Catch Up services on the box too. Believe it’s called PowerPoint box available in Powercity.

I’m currently researching this option myself. Also possibly FreeView HD with FreeSat will give similar channels. Decider will be the EPG + interface for me.

You'll have to think again, a Saorview Connect box does NOT give all Irish and English channels on one EPG and and it only gives now and next on the Satellite epg, the satellite tuner is fta not a Freesat tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Plenty of users who bought this saorview connect box will disagree of how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

galtee boy wrote: »
    You'll have to think again, a Saorview Connect box does NOT give all Irish and English channels on one EPG and and it only gives now and next on the Satellite epg, the satellite tuner is fta not a Freesat tuner.

Further to this is the fact that you get only now and next epg for UK channels on the connect box, this makes it very poor for recording as you can only schedule to record on satellite by manually setting record timers if it's not on next. It's a pretty hopeless box of you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Linoge wrote: »
    I don’t know why nobody has mentioned this, but a Saorview Connect box would prob do the job perfectly. This would give you Saorview and Freesat, which is better than FTA Satellite from what I’ve read as you get 7 day EPG. You can also record if you add a USB stick. Will have Catch Up services on the box too. Believe it’s called PowerPoint box available in Powercity.

I’m currently researching this option myself. Also possibly FreeView HD with FreeSat will give similar channels. Decider will be the EPG + interface for me.

People do not mention the Saorview Connect box unless pointing out what its serious failings are.

When compared to other available boxes it is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,348 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I always assumed the Saorview connect box was full saorview + full freesat, shame it's not. I assume the issue is with freesat licensing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

dulpit wrote: »
    I always assumed the Saorview connect box was full saorview + full freesat, shame it's not. I assume the issue is with freesat licensing?

Enigma boxes are not licensed for Freesat, there are open source plugins available that could be used
    https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoBouquetsMaker
    https://github.com/E2OpenPlugins/e2openplugin-CrossEPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Lads,

Thanks for all your help. Just trying to get up and running. Have new claremans image loaded but having trouble with saorview.
    Only have a few of the channels and ideas. Have only one sat cable coming in in case that makes a difference

Glad you have everything running ok, now. In case anyone reading this thread is struggling, this post shows how to set up Saorview, with my image.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stuckness

Hi all,

I had an Ariva 153 that will no longer power on. Having read some threads on boards I'm looking at getting a Tiviar from satworld.

If I attach my satellite and saorview feeds will it work out of the box if i get it with enigma2?

I really only want to be able to record and have a 7 day EPG for both feeds to start, might try and go with NewClareman's image then, and thanks to all those involved in creating it.

Router a bit away so might get powerline adapters but if not, do I need an adapter to get WiFi working? I understand WiFi is not ideal.

(Hope this is okay here, didn't want to start a new thread.)

@Stuckness,many boxes have power issues and maybe you have a faulty power supply?
    No box will work straight out of the box as usually a few things need to be setup as we all dont live in the same spot.
    Is it easy to run a long lan cable from router to box,or as said powerline adapters will work on the same ring but if on a different ring they wont connect.

greasepalm wrote: »
    @Stuckness,many boxes have power issues and maybe you have a faulty power supply?
    No box will work straight out of the box as usually a few things need to be setup as we all dont live in the same spot.
    Is it easy to run a long lan cable from router to box,or as said powerline adapters will work on the same ring but if on a different ring they wont connect.

Moulded plug and have tried a number of sockets.

Okay, thanks, scanning satellite or terrestrial is grand, just wondering what point it's at with enigma2?

No, would have to be powerline. Just out of curiosity, does it need an adapter for WiFi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@Stuckness The two main things you need to setup if you install NewClaremans image or the suppliers version, will be your local Saorview settings and your home network settings. A powerline network adaptor is far better than a wifi dongle.

https://www.freetv.ie/ferguson-ariva-53-power-supply/
    Depending on model you have is the feed good on power supply as they have many?

Enigma2 are better boxes open sourced by a number of image makers including openvix so you have a bigger choice.
    Some other boxes you can only have the makers image on that box so your locked in.
    Powerline will be better as i dont use wifi as signals can be interrupted by a number of things.

@Gery Wickolw. Okay, thanks. So I could just get the factory version and flash NewClareman's image directly?.

I understand re the dongle, I was just wondering if the box had WiFi built in. Is a good connection useful for much other than streaming?

Apologies, i know these are basic questions.

@greasepalm. Am happy enough not to revive it tbh having seen the interface on the Tiviar and that it's faster, full EPG, picture in picture etc.

I don't see wifi mentioned in the specs so assume it is done with a dongle. (don't have this box myself). If you get the suppliers version of openATV you can quickly make a backup of that (just in case) then flash NewClaremans image and work away. One of the great beauties of openATV is the ability to easily make backups of your image and settings and restore them should the worst happen. It's almost guaranteed, once you get enigma and see just how powerful and flexible it is, you will want to play with it. Enigma boxes should have a health warning for being highly addictive :)

Grand, cheers. Just to be sure, on satworld there is the option to get the factory image or one programmed with enigma2. Can I flash NewClareman's from factory image or do I need enigma2 first?

LOL on my 9th here and if you have 2 enigma boxes network linked you can watch recordings from 1 box to the other.
    Backups would need a hdd i will assume and if you like recording a bigger hdd.

Stuckness wrote: »
    Grand, cheers. Just to be sure, on satworld there is the option to get the factory image or one programmed with enigma2. Can I flash NewClareman's from factory image or do I need enigma2 first?

Ask them to install openATV enigma2. It will then be easier to upgrade to NewClareMans image.

LOL on my 9th here and if you have 2 enigma boxes network linked you can watch recordings from 1 box to the other.
    Backups would need a hdd i will assume and if you like recording a bigger hdd.

A full image backup is a zip file of less than 150Mb. Settings only backup is less than 1Mb. As a rough rule of thumb allow 4GB per hour of HD recording. You don't need a second box for streaming live or recordings, anything on your network with a web browser will work, laptop, phone or Smart TV.

No smart tvs here yet,phone screen too small and laptop in one room and many tvs.

• Advertisement

@Gery Wickolw. Okay, thanks. So I could just get the factory version and flash NewClareman's image directly?.

Yes, it is easy to convert from the factory version, instructions here. Note: you need to flash one of my old backups first, take your pick.
    You can then flash the most recent image, see here, for instructions. I recommend this as it has a greater range of channels, by default, including the +1’s.
    I understand re the dongle, I was just wondering if the box had WiFi built in. Is a good connection useful for much other than streaming?
    WiFi is not built in and dongles are barely usable, for configuration only. If you are forced to use WiFi, use any dongle with a LAN port. LIDL had some last week, that may still be available. They work ok, but not as well as power line adapters.

A good connection can be used to view the EPG, control the box remotely, view channels on tablets, view IPTV, download covers for music and films, view IMDB info for films, Internet radio, all available by default, with my image.
    Lots of more options can be used, if you have the time and inclination to install and test the wide range of plugins.

Great stuff, and thanks for.all the work on it. Looking forward to getting it going. They're on eBay for 149 euro too for anyone interested.

I’m not sure what you mean by “one ring”, maybe you could clarify. (Powerline adapters need to be on the same mains phase, but apart from that, I’m not aware of any other limitation, from a single distribution panel.)

I’m not sure what you mean by “one ring”, maybe you could clarify. (Powerline adapters need to be on the same mains phase, but apart from that, I’m not aware of any other limitation, from a single distribution panel.)

Yes as you say " same main phase " ring/circuit as mine was not .I did add another 2 homeplugs at the time but replaced now with direct lan cables and switches.

Advertisement