Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Month of Summer...

• 01-08-2019 12:07am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, August 1 st is upon is now and already the evenings are closing in just that little bit earlier. High summer - July is done and dusted - and only a month to go till September.

Do you all try to make the most of the final month of a Summer? Any plans for weekend breaks or a holiday abroad until the start of school on Sept 1st (for those who have kids) or are you keen to just get through August and look forward to the cooler climes of Autumn?

Traditionally, August is seen as the “silly season” when not much newsworthy seems to happen and the politicians are on the summer break.

I actually find August to be a very productive month. I try to get things that I leave off because of other commitments done during this months, and it can be good for catching up when old pals I haven’t seen in a long while.

Any thought on August...as summer starts to wind down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I thought August was the first month of Autumn :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

RMAOK wrote: »

You thought wrong. It's the third metrological month of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I like autumn, fresher air and leaves changing colour.

We're edging closer to the madness of December though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Look on the bright side. Soon Tubberdy will be back, and with all those A list celebs every week...

If the weather is decent I’ll try to fit in a few summery trips before the 9 months of winter set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

RMAOK wrote: »

By some definitions summer, by others autumn. For me, it’s a summer month. The best weather in the heatwave of 1995 was in August. August is often the warmest or second warmest month of the year. Schools are still out. The moniker Indian Summer is applied to good September weather. August is summer.

• Advertisement

By some definitions summer, by others autumn. For me, it’s a summer month. The best weather in the heatwave of 1995 was in August. August is often the warmest or second warmest month of the year. Schools are still out. The moniker Indian Summer is applied to good September weather. August is summer.

Definitely a summer month. Fond memories of the '95 heatwave, decamped to Lahinch for several weeks during August. We took to the surf every morning (whenever there was a swell), and fired up the barbeque by evening. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

August is summer. And much of September can feel like summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

IM NOT LISTENING IM NOT LISTENING

August: nothing happens, it's a month of waiting for me. Inbetweeners in calendar form.

Weather is a bit meh, typically muggy or unremarkable, the promise of summer is on the wane, half the country is on holidays or a slow down; it's all a bit of a yawn. Unless you're off chilling on a nice beach in the west there's not much going on is there? You can get a seat in the Dublin city pubs at least. No children, so the holidays/back to school things don't really feature in any practical sense for me.

I love autumn. People start to get it together again, I love city lights at night, clothes are better, the promise of nights drawing in. Real fires. Pretty orange leaves everywhere. Sigh.

Sorry August. Perhaps I just need to figure out a way for us to get along better. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Similar to you OP i use this month as like a point to turn and get some long to do list jobs done or at least active coming into winter. I'm looking forward to seasonal veg locally. I had a kiwi today that came from New Zealand.

Seems to be a good month to catch up with people alright, the foot goes off the gas for people this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,846 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod noteClosed for the moment.
    We've often had the seasons debate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement