Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Profit in Summer Grazing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Don't think that there should be any profit in it if the real farmers that winter stock can't make a Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I know the thread title mentions profit, but margins are miniscule whatever the system. You need to be rolling big numbers in drystock and lads doing this in reality are few and far between. Anyways, decoupling of payments is the reality and it happened a long time ago.

Back to looking at the summer grazing system.
    Lets break it down by looking at the advantages first off. No silage to be made. No slurry to be spread. These are two of the biggest contractor bills on drystock farms. Now imagine cutting fertiliser bill (because no silage) or having the 'luxury' to spread all your current annual fertiliser allocation on grazing. Big saving on outgoings.

Payments will not be affected once minimum stocking rates observed for ANC, and in reality these are easily met.

Now lets look at the time savings. 5 months off. And let's face it they're 5 of the least glamorous months farming wise! 5 months of zero commitment to the farm. Teachers only get 3months off ffs!! :D

I've managed to fine tune and pare down my summer routine. Stock have continued to thrive for me with fewer man hours. Investment in 'grazing infrastructure' (fencing, water troughs) has paid dividends in this regard.

Now l haven't managed to be able set up a system to do this in the winter time. Basically stock need to be seen daily. They sh*t in water troughs, silage needs to be shoved in. I believe there is an opportunity for some inventor to automate and address these issues. l calculate there is roughly 3 times the man hours with stock in the wintertime.

Cons.. with summer grazing there would be more time needed to source stock in springtime and more stock to be sold in backend. The logistics of this would have to be looked at. If a good lad could be got to source cattle and drop in yard in spring, it would leave only the selling for the farmer to contend with.
    A lot more topping to keep control of grass in May and June. The option to bale and sell surplus could be looked at.

Definitely food for thought. It is something l will be giving careful consideration to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Anyone with a link to a previous thread where a poster was bragging about the return he was making from I think it was summer grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Tomjim wrote: »
    Anyone with a link to a previous thread where a poster was bragging about the return he was making from I think it was summer grazing

There is a thread going somewhere about compulsive lying, I think You'll find him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cavanjack wrote: »
    There is a thread going somewhere about compulsive lying, I think You'll find him there.

If it is the lad I am thinking about he was banned. But as for lying that is a bit harsh. He has a system going where he had a dealer buying in lightish yearlings and he got goodish weigh onto them. His were coming in early March his numbers were small and I think he made and sold a bit of silage as well. He used to get 180+ kgs onto the cattle. Most of the cattle he seemed to get were badly wintered sucklers that had a frame but were not export quality. Was he New Beef Farmer or something like that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I was against him ding dong. Look if we all ran our farms like we were renting them, graze it extensively, and sell silage bales off the swarth.. no maintenance, p and k , drainage, reseeding,hedge trimming, building, it would appear to leave a profit but how long would that last before the soil grows little but crows foot rushes or rag worth.. Then the wet years and the freak of this summer drought. No get rich quick.. ap2016 or something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

This thread badly needs AP2014

Don't think that there should be any profit in it if the real farmers that winter stock can't make a Bob.

What is a real farmer. For years part time farmers were called hobby farmers by the FJ and IFA and a few others Any farmer that was not full time was a.hobby farmer. Nearly every second beef farmer that is so call full time either hauls cattle, is a factory agent, a dealer or a small time contractor. Most of the lads that do nothing else are single men in there sixties.

As Seamus Mallon said the Good Friday agreement was Sunningdale for slow learners. Well it was the same for with the snobbery about part time beef farmers. It was name calling by slow learners. My attitude to anything is to look at the numbers and if they do not stack up exit it. Winter finishing is a dead duck until we get forward pricing for these cattle or processors stop acting the dick from Christmass on.
    Willfarman wrote: »
    I was against him ding dong. Look if we all ran our farms like we were renting them, graze it extensively, and sell silage bales off the swarth.. no maintenance, p and k , drainage, reseeding,hedge trimming, building, it would appear to leave a profit but how long would that last before the soil grows little but crows foot rushes or rag worth.. Then the wet years and the freak of this summer drought. No get rich quick.. ap2016 or something similar.

Restive has it AP2014. His system did not suit everyone. He lived a bit away from the land he inherited. He maximised his SFP ANC and REPs at the time. He stocked and a bit with it to collect his payments. If I remember he may have fed a bit of silage in the spring and autumn to maximise cattle returns. I remember it was pointed out to him about P&K loss in silage and he was starting to take that on board. Himself and wrangler had a few set too's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not sure if he looks in but it would be nice if he gave us his twopence worth now...If the mods could see their way in allowing him to contribute, if only for a few days or a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

What is a real farmer. For years part time farmers were called hobby farmers by the FJ and IFA and a few others Any farmer that was not full time was a.hobby farmer. Nearly every second beef farmer that is so call full time either hauls cattle, is a factory agent, a dealer or a small time contractor. Most of the lads that do nothing else are single men in there sixties.

As Seamus Mallon said the Good Friday agreement was Sunningdale for slow learners. Well it was the same for with the snobbery about part time beef farmers. It was name calling by slow learners. My attitude to anything is to look at the numbers and if they do not stack up exit it. Winter finishing is a dead duck until we get forward pricing for these cattle or processors stop acting the dick from Christmass on.
    Willfarman wrote: »

Restive has it AP2014. His system did not suit everyone. He lived a bit away from the land he inherited. He maximised his SFP ANC and REPs at the time. He stocked and a bit with it to collect his payments. If I remember he may have fed a bit of silage in the spring and autumn to maximise cattle returns. I remember it was pointed out to him about P&K loss in silage and he was starting to take that on board. Himself and wrangler had a few set too's
    Love the Seamus Mallom quote!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Straw poll: if you won 5,000 Euro on a scratch card and wanted to spend it on cattle next March, what would you buy?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Straw poll: if you won 5,000 Euro on a scratch card and wanted to spend it on cattle next March, what would you buy?

Cull cows, I think they are going to be scarce as anything that blinked wrong the last 12 months got a happy meal.

It would depend on when you wanted to sell. If you were in for the longhaul I buy yearlings if they were not on fire.

Slava Ukrainii

It would depend on when you wanted to sell. If you were in for the longhaul I buy yearlings if they were not on fire.

I'm going to give the game away now and outline my brilliant plan to make a fortune from cattle!

(Most of it came from reading threads on here)

1. Buy yearling HE or AA cross heifers in March/April, around the 250-300kg mark (550-600 Euro); if coloured ones were available at the right price I'd look at them too
    2. Put 150-180kg on them at grass on til October, and house then in our own straw-bed shed; budget is approx. 200 Euro for silage, meal, and straw
    3. Sell out of the shed in March, at north of 500kg and hopefully 250kg deadweight

At 4 Euro/kg, they might leave 100-150 Euro per head after various other costs (transport, dose, fixed costs, etc.)

Are these figures wildly optimistic or just regular optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The only person I know at summer grazing picks up cull cow's early in the spring and kills them thru the summer. Over winters very few cattle at all. Its the buying in price where he looks for profit more than the selling price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Mooooo wrote: »
    The only person I know at summer grazing picks up cull cow's early in the spring and kills them thru the summer. Over winters very few cattle at all. Its the buying in price where he looks for profit more than the selling price

This is a logical approach as the growing is done and weight goes on quickly, they can be bought right in late feb ,early march and pushed out when prices peak and grass starts to fail in late july.

I'm going to give the game away now and outline my brilliant plan to make a fortune from cattle!

1. Buy yearling HE or AA cross heifers in March/April, around the 250-300kg mark (550-600 Euro); if coloured ones were available at the right price I'd look at them too
    2. Put 150-180kg on them at grass on til October, and house then in our own straw-bed shed; budget is approx. 200 Euro for silage, meal, and straw
    3. Sell out of the shed in March, at north of 500kg and hopefully 250kg deadweight

At 4 Euro/kg, they might leave 100-150 Euro per head after various other costs (transport, dose, fixed costs, etc.)

If the If you have to keep them in a shed ffrom late October to March to finish to finish you would be at nothing. Straw bedding finishing cattle is a disaster. Impossible to keep straw under them. If they were 270 kgs in March and you put 180 kgs on them during the summer you would expect to have them 450 at housing in October. 50 days finishing would have them out pre Christmass at 250 DW. Assuming that they are HE/AA and they grade O-/O= on balance and you get the breed bonus of 10c/kg at a base of 4/kg thsi would give you a final price of 3.95/kg or a gross pricwe of 987. If they cost you 575 in the yard in the spring it would leave a gross margin of 402.

Costs ?, grass 75 euro, dosing-vet-mortality 25 euro, transport-mart fees-slaughter fees 45 euro. finishing costs 50days at 2.70/day 135 euro, misc 30 euro. Total costs are 310 euro, net margin is 92 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I dont think any cattle finished out of shed leave anything.
    Had an angus heifer calf march 17 bought to suck a cow, kept ticking over. Shes being killed today. I think she'll kill 260 kilos maybe more. Sold to butcher,might get 3.90 we'll see. Prob make 1000 or a bit with it. Bought for 250e as a calf.she didnt cost the world and got only 80kg meal to finish her. Should increase the ko a bit. You would Prob buy weanling heifers over 200kg for 400 now. Would be a nice turn in them. Easier kept than heifer twice their age in a straw shed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Make Plenty of cash from sheep if ya wanted

You’d want to spend a fortune on fencing or else be great on your legs.

Here's a bullock I bought in spring late April. Red Lim, 595 kgs €1440. Killed late Sept 393 kgs R=3=, €1503.
    Never again.

Jaysus, how much did you lose on him after all costs? Anyone remember that money in beef thread by APR14, he was going to put his figures up but it still wasn’t possible to figure out the profit he claimed as he just gave a shoddy snapshot of his sales docket.

He came back later with an update only saw other posters mention him after writing this post, here’s a link.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057349066/1/#post93549914

• Advertisement

I think their'd be more money out of making and selling the fodder off the farm.
    Average enough land would produce about 18 bales per acre. Sell bales at 10 euro profit = 180 per acre plus add back on the sfp and Glas and you would be on easier money than trying to buy bullocks, feed them, dose them, test them, do all the herding for the year then sell them for less than you paid for them in spring!

Until you hit a year of surplus fodder or dodgey payers. I did it long enough with my own sage gear, it’s a fools game.

I dont think any cattle finished out of shed leave anything.
    Had an angus heifer calf march 17 bought to suck a cow, kept ticking over. Shes being killed today. I think she'll kill 260 kilos maybe more. Sold to butcher,might get 3.90 we'll see. Prob make 1000 or a bit with it. Bought for 250e as a calf.she didnt cost the world and got only 80kg meal to finish her. Should increase the ko a bit. You would Prob buy weanling heifers over 200kg for 400 now. Would be a nice turn in them. Easier kept than heifer twice their age in a straw shed

If 2018 had been different, we would have bought those kind of heifers now and tried to finish them on grass/meal for this time next year, but no silage means that's out the window for 12 months. Thanks for the insight and fair play to ya for turning a few Euro given the year that's in it.
    If the If you have to keep them in a shed ffrom late October to March to finish to finish you would be at nothing. Straw bedding finishing cattle is a disaster. Impossible to keep straw under them. If they were 270 kgs in March and you put 180 kgs on them during the summer you would expect to have them 450 at housing in October. 50 days finishing would have them out pre Christmass at 250 DW. Assuming that they are HE/AA and they grade O-/O= on balance and you get the breed bonus of 10c/kg at a base of 4/kg thsi would give you a final price of 3.95/kg or a gross pricwe of 987. If they cost you 575 in the yard in the spring it would leave a gross margin of 402.

Costs ?, grass 75 euro, dosing-vet-mortality 25 euro, transport-mart fees-slaughter fees 45 euro. finishing costs 50days at 2.70/day 135 euro, misc 30 euro. Total costs are 310 euro, net margin is 92 euro.

Looks like we might be better off buying slightly heavier animals (300kg) in Spring and aiming to finish pre-Christmas, with as short a time as possible in the shed. As has been said on here before, the margin is decided the day you buy. If you pay too much, they'll cost you money. We were caught like this with store lambs before.

If we went down the summer grazing route, the 300kg animal in March should be 480kg in October and leave a gross margin of 960 - 600 = 360 (using 2.00/kg as a base). Costs: as above just with slightly lower grass and finishing costs, say 250, giving a net margin of 110 - give or take a tenner here or there.

Tis an education to be part of boards - thanks again for the figures and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Hmmm, if a 300kg animal is only worth €2/kg in March, the same animal will hardly make €2/kg or even close to that in October.

tanko wrote: »
    Hmmm, if a 300kg animal is only worth €2/kg in March, the same animal will hardly make €2/kg or even close to that in October.

I was being overly simple. Would 2.20/kg be more accurate for March, meaning 300 gross margin and 50 profit after costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

tanko wrote: »

I was being overly simple. Would 2.20/kg be more accurate for March, meaning 300 gross margin and 50 profit after costs?

Doubtful i'd say.
    I sold three eleven month old calves in April this year, 2 AA bullocks 260 and 280 kgs made €680 each and a Saler x Lim heifer 280 kgs made €720. Runts is all they were.
    2.20 kg would have bought nothing around 300kgs that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

This thread has me baffled.If summer grazing doesn’t pay then it pays for no one including the man who lets his stock out of the shed on first April.Whats the difference?

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    This thread has me baffled.If summer grazing doesn’t pay then it pays for no one including the man who lets his stock out of the shed on first April.Whats the difference?
    +1 No point in buying small store cattle in the spring and returning to the mart in the fall with the hope of a twist.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    +1 No point in buying small store cattle in the spring and returning to the mart in the fall with the hope of a twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The profit in summer grazing is not between what you buy and sell a bullock for

It’s the difference between what you sell him for and what you buy his replacement

You’ll make a bit of money at it, you won’t be rich but will any beef farmer

Couple things to bear in mind 1) tb can be a problem so you need a get out plan. 2) you mightnt make money every year, but over the medium term you could make 200 an acre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

How do you buy the exact same bullock twice?

Advertisement