Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Lockheed wrote: »

Some sort of eviction or repossession. Doesn't look too bad. Sand and paint the front door, new doors for kitchen and wardrobes from IKEA, new white goods, carpets, curtains, borrow a mower, rent a skip and a couple of days cleaning up would sort out most of that. Not sure if that white stuff on the tiles cleans off easily.

No idea what the area is like, but you could be saving a fair few grand for a few days graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is it a trick of the camera or is the toilet really that shape?

flazio wrote: »
    Is it a trick of the camera or is the toilet really that shape?
    It's the standard estate agent's lens, look at the other photos and most things are misshapen!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

KevRossi wrote: »
    Some sort of eviction or repossession. Doesn't look too bad. Sand and paint the front door, new doors for kitchen and wardrobes from IKEA, new white goods, carpets, curtains, borrow a mower, rent a skip and a couple of days cleaning up would sort out most of that. Not sure if that white stuff on the tiles cleans off easily.

No idea what the area is like, but you could be saving a fair few grand for a few days graft.

The estate is right behind a halting site, decent schools nearby though. Trim prices are crazy but its the one estate that's still reasonably priced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What on earth happened in this house?

Occupants burned the kitchen cabinet doors for firewood? Seems to be a load of sawdust around the twin crying chairs. All the stuff that's missing is wood (wardrobe doors, bed frames, dining room table as well as the kitchen stuff).

Although there's a lot of ceiling lights just ripped out too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kinsale.

The entrance pallet is such an unpretentious statement.

Shabby chic on mushrooms.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

0lddog wrote: »
    Beats the socks off that house in Malahide :)

What do The Dutch do in the way of rates / property tax ?

Depends on where you live but to give an idea: 0,1280% on the value of the place. And it is the tax office that decides the value

But BER Rate G? I thought the BER only went as low as F. An estate agent quotes F as meaning "An older property, barely a shell with single glazed windows and no insulation."

What's G? A field with a strong gate?

Yes, the location is good. But you'd have to demolish the house, which at 72sq.m. is already so small it seems to almost occupy the whole site. And you can't build up, the neighbours (whose houses face the site) would naturally object against blocking their sea view/light.

Kinslae is nice, but not this nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I love the bedroom door in pic11 :pac:

My mam still wallpapers her house and there is lots of cool 'art' still on the walls from when we were kids.

plenty of those Super S's on her walls too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

But BER Rate G? I thought the BER only went as low as F. An estate agent quotes F as meaning "An older property, barely a shell with single glazed windows and no insulation."

Yes, the location is good. But you'd have to demolish the house, which at 72sq.m. is already so small it seems to almost occupy the whole site. And you can't build up, the neighbours (whose houses face the site) would naturally object against blocking their sea view/light.

a G house might mean two open fireplaces, single glazed windows, almost no insulation, house could be perfect otherwise and not that difficult to bring up to D which many perfectly good houses are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

thanks for that, laughed a lot..:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

inforfun wrote: »
    3dc7e184a6b22a521d89b1ca13b61978.jpg

https://www.funda.nl/koop/beekbergen/huis-41521372-berg-en-dalweg-32/

These kind of places really don't help me trying to convince people we are not all on drugs in The Netherlands.
    Expected it to be designed and built in the 70's but it is relatively new from 2007

From the outside, it looks like a cafe and gift shop building in the middle of a zoo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Exactly. I wouldn't have a clue in relation to what it would cost to do something with that, but that's a heck of a lot of money, imo, just for the house / site, as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

On a point of order, a question was asked about the origin of the word McMansion

I put forward the theory that it's really derives from a Sunday Times (Ireland) article from about ten years ago about what they called a "Muck Mansion"

This is a farmer who with some land with road frontage during the Celtic Tiger would throw up a tatselessly non designed house with ofch and 8 bedrooms with the expectation of selling it for €€€'s

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cml387 wrote: »
    On a point of order, a question was asked about the origin of the word McMansion

I put forward the theory that it's really derives from a Sunday Times (Ireland) article from about ten years ago about what they called a "Muck Mansion"

This is a farmer who with some land with road frontage during the Celtic Tiger would throw up a tatselessly non designed house with ofch and 8 bedrooms with the expectation of selling it for €€€'s

the word has been around since the 1980s in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

According to wikipedia it originated in 1980's LA.
    Related terms include "Persian palace", "garage Mahal", "starter castle", and "Hummer house".

Although the houses you described are probably the first McMansions in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I first heard it abroad when an Austrian tourist used it in one of his holiday blogs after travelling around Ireland. That was around 1999/2000.

"Garage Mahal"

I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

"Garage Mahal"

I like it.

Must be pronounced in an American accent for full effect :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    a G house might mean two open fireplaces, single glazed windows, almost no insulation, house could be perfect otherwise and not that difficult to bring up to D which many perfectly good houses are
    Having seen someone come around to do a BER survey on my (then) apartment, I question the value of the whole system. Only actual measurements were room and window sizes. Seems like a lot of potential improvements are gaming the algorithm rather than anything that will actually save money.

Must be pronounced in an American accent for full effect :p

Linguistic miracle as i am, i did give it a French flavour. Works well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

PommieBast wrote: »
    Having seen someone come around to do a BER survey on my (then) apartment, I question the value of the whole system. Only actual measurements were room and window sizes. Seems like a lot of potential improvements are gaming the algorithm rather than anything that will actually save money.

Our house was purchased under the idea that insulation and energy saving was decent enough, as it was energy rating C2, turns out there are massive voids in the walls of a splay which drain heat like crazy and there is seriously inadequate ventilation in other places, get damp at times etc, un lagged hot water cylinder - but all the windows are very big and are triple glazed, and the oil boiler is very new. Thats what gave it a c2 I suppose Whole system is very open to manipulation

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

3dc7e184a6b22a521d89b1ca13b61978.jpg

https://www.funda.nl/koop/beekbergen/huis-41521372-berg-en-dalweg-32/

These kind of places really don't help me trying to convince people we are not all on drugs in The Netherlands.
    Expected it to be designed and built in the 70's but it is relatively new from 2007

Is it a house.jpg

Squint the eyes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

From the outside, it looks like a cafe and gift shop building in the middle of a zoo
    Is it half thatched??? :eek: I was NOT expecting that!

I sooo want that pink chair! And I soooo don't want that "matching" sofa in the same room.... my back is twanging just looking at the picture!

The bathrooms are a bit clinical looking, but other than that it's kinda funky - with some stuff around the place it'd be cool, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

PommieBast wrote: »

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

https://www.daft.ie/14398855

The upstairs bathroom!!! It would be like doing your business in a coffin!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did that used to be a pub or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Navy blue wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/14398855

The upstairs bathroom!!! It would be like doing your business in a coffin!
    That is just the weirdest house!

I couldn't figure out if it must have been something else in a former life - half the ground floor is taken up with that huge hallway, with a serving hatch to nowhere, it seems to have 2 kitchens one of which isn't mentioned at all, one of the rooms doesn't seem to have any windows.....

and then there's the stairway to heaven in the back garden :confused:

The whole thing just gives me the shivers!

Advertisement