Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm workers wages!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

J DEERE wrote: »
    Was getting 12 an hour and 18 for Sunday's before leaving in 2012. 200 cows, milking all year round. Was given breakfast and tea
    was that for milking? give 40 euro per milking here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

I was getting €10/hour a few years back. The farm relief pay min wage an zero travel allowance.

Fairly sure FRS pay well over minimum wage. Over 11 down south

Fairly sure FRS pay well over minimum wage. Over 11 down south
    do you still have to wait a month to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

whelan2 wrote: »
    do you still have to wait a month to be paid?

Paid 15th of following month. Always on time to be fair. If 15th is a sat or sun its in account Friday midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Tell me where a guy will get €700 a week elsewhere

I wouldn't be taking the colour of it

Is that for a 65 hour week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I worked off farm for years and can appreciate how hard and physically demanding working on a dairy farm can be .long hours and proper work on a farm has to be worth more than min wage,fair enough if its only for someone used sporadically for jobs like foddering ,cleaning sheds,powerwashing sheds etc but a full time guy on site for 12 hours a day deserves more unless he's a total dimwit

For a 6 day week netting 100 per day with prsi paye and USC its costing €146 per day That's € 876 per week €45k per yr I'm phucked if any farm worker is worth more than this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

For a 6 day week netting 100 per day with prsi paye and USC its costing €146 per day That's € 876 per week €45k per yr I'm phucked if any farm worker is worth more than this

100 nett is good bucks in fairness and ur right no farm worker is worth more than that ,thought it was gross.any jobs going!!

mahoney_j wrote: »
    100 nett is good bucks in fairness and ur right no farm worker is worth more than that ,thought it was gross.any jobs going!!

I'd say you'd be gone before emergency tax would be paid

conor t wrote: »
    Is that for a 65 hour week?

Costs €14.58 an hour. On that a lad couldn't get enough hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Have a lad that milks for me true frs top man in fairness does double milkings most summer says he take home 1000 a week he says he snowed under with milking this time of d year he does the fenching with frs with his own mf 399 he get 30 euro a hour for the tractor says it wouldnt burn a tank of diesel in d week he said he far better off with frs than a farmer full time hard to blame him he has his own farm as well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Absolutely not.
    1hr for breakfast and 1 hr for lunch
    2 hours for both they must be traveling a fair distance for the grub. I got €10/hour which included breakfast dinner and supper I took out time for eating half an hour for dinner and 20 minutes each for breakfast and supper. The man I worked for always said if you don't feed a worker properly he won't be able to work.

2 hours for both they must be traveling a fair distance for the grub. I got €10/hour which included breakfast dinner and supper I took out time for eating half an hour for dinner and 20 minutes each for breakfast and supper. The man I worked for always said if you don't feed a worker properly he won't be able to work.

No grub here. In any other job people bring their own grub what's so different with farms?

I deal with a guy who blows about how he always feeds workers. Was there one day a dinner time and a sparrow would've been hungry after what he called dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I pay a young lad 50 Euro for a half days work every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Can't argue with that. For casual work I can't see any issues with €10 an hour before tax, if there is responsibility involved then up she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

was that for milking? give 40 euro per milking here

No that was for full days. Milking normally took three hours from start to finish. 24 units, 2 men auto cluster removers etc. how long does it take to do your milking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

think alot of young people dont want to do the work now adays
    very,very true post that

No that was for full days. Milking normally took three hours from start to finish. 24 units, 2 men auto cluster removers etc. how long does it take to do your milking?
    about 1.5 hours now or 2.5 hours in summer, they still get the 40 euro/milking regardless of how many cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

You'd nearly make us feel sorry for you! :D:p
    Are you going to say they aren't worth it, your self/brother iirc? have been round plenty long enough to know what you want in your staff otherwise you would only be paying 50% of that. The luxury of having someone you don't need to hold their hand/keep checking on or answer the phone to every hour is worth alot! And for arguments sake if you had to suddenly drop everything for a week the cows will be milked and the farm won't burn to the ground without need for prior planning. :)
    Often the case accommodation is provided which can muddy waters in a room rented in a house vs a full house for a family of 4 eg.

think alot of young people dont want to do the work now adays

I wouldn't blame them. A lot of farmers aren't easy to work with and aren't overly happy to pay either

Typical working week on busy dairy farm would be 60hrs a week. That works out at 10/hour net with no overtime being paid. Depending on skills and ability if you can't afford to pay that then you can't afford a full time worker

• Advertisement

Typical working week on busy dairy farm would be 60hrs a week. That works out at 10/hour net with no overtime being paid. Depending on skills and ability if you can't afford to pay that then you can't afford a full time worker

Wish you all the best in your job hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I wouldn't blame them. A lot of farmers aren't easy to work with and aren't overly happy to pay either

Yeah a lot of farmers are miserable out and out, especially some dairy men I have dealt with buying cows off private, I suppose better in their pocket than mine is they're thinking too, worked for one lad before and he used to pay me €60/day 8am-approx 6.30/7, used to help half milking in am and full milking in evening in that too, was costing me €12 in diesel to get there daily, granted got the breakfast dinner and tea there, I used to have to be up at 5 to do a few jobs before I left and doing jobs till 11/11.30 that night when you'd come home, very nice lad to work for ill say that, do regularly chat still, I didn't quit I finished off till he didn't need me anymore as he had an operation and that was the main reason for me being there in the first place but I think if he rang me to come again in the spring I'd have to be getting a significant rise, on that if there's anyone looking for a worker in the busy time in the spring I'm currently scouting about anywhere not a ridiculous distance from north Kk area thanks

simx wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of farmers are miserable, worked for one lad before and he used to pay me €60/day 8am-approx 6.30/7, used to help half milking in am and full milking in evening in that too, was costing me
    would you not negotiate wages/hours before you start work for these people. If they are let away with it they will continue to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

would you not negotiate wages/hours before you start work for these people. If they are let away with it they will continue to do it.

I did, I think I was a bit too egar for the work, I also wanted to do a bit of milking which I have done a bit of relief milking for local lads since, learn from these experiences I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Like in any industry there are bad employers and bad employees so generalisations while can ring true are most of the time unhelpful. I know that when I eventually take someone on i will have to adapt as much as the person coming in. So, for the dairy industry anyway as its planning on expanding, teagasc or whoever could perhaps start running more days on hr type scenarios which may benefit the industry as a whole

Milked out wrote: »
    Like in any industry there are bad employers and bad employees so generalisations while can ring true are most of the time unhelpful. I know that when I eventually take someone on i will have to adapt as much as the person coming in. So, for the dairy industry anyway as its planning on expanding, teagasc or whoever could perhaps start running more days on hr type scenarios which may benefit the industry as a whole
    think the main problem in the future is where will the workers come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭red_diesel

Lads, what type of money can a well qualified, experienced farm manager expect to earn on a large dairy farm these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

think the main problem in the future is where will the workers come from?

There will always be young lads who love that type of work, farmers sons who like me said i might as well work for someone else and get paid for it than work at home and not get paid.
    These type of lads love that work , time flies doing it , the job varies constantly, from animals, feeding , dosing , animal care, servicing machinery , driving machinery , repairs , maintenance, building sheds, making gates, working out in the weather, meeting different people in the course of the job.
    I loved it when i was at it. The experience was good and a hell of a lot was learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

red_diesel wrote: »
    Lads, what type of money can a well qualified, experienced farm manager expect to earn on a large dairy farm these days?

Depends on level of responsibility. Guessing 35-45k before tax..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭red_diesel

C4d78 wrote: »
    Depends on level of responsibility. Guessing 35-45k before tax..

If this is he case, excluding lifestyle benefits and passion people have for the work, the numbers don't stack up for well qualified personnel. Someone with a degree and 15 years post grad experience can realistically expect around 55k. And that's for a 35 to 40 hour week. The older you get the more you appreciate the work life balance.

Advertisement