Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Bass, how do you give the cattle the minerals? Do you just put it on the silage?What brand are you using?
    What you think of mineral bolus?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

The BPS keeps a lot of fellas in the game. Without it they might realise the true loss in beef rearing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Bass, how do you give the cattle the minerals? Do you just put it on the silage?What brand are you using?
    What you think of mineral bolus?

I can feed both sides of my pens, I sprinkle on the silage at the front and the ground at the back.. Bolus's are again expensive and you have to handle animals to give them to them.

Slava Ukrainii

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/freisian-steers-more-cost-effective-option-to-finish-compared-to-continentals/

Teagasc must be following boards. It not like I have not being telling you all along

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/freisian-steers-more-cost-effective-option-to-finish-compared-to-continentals/

Teagasc must be following boards. It not like I have not being telling you all along

I’ve a batch of them. Can’t believe how much they’ve grown in 2 months. Should be horses by the summer. My only concern is selling over 30 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I’ve a batch of them. Can’t believe how much they’ve grown in 2 months. Should be horses by the summer. My only concern is selling over 30 months.
    Feed them hard in last 2 months before you want them killed. Draft at FS3 no problems. You will be surprised by the weight.

As KK aside feed them for last 6-8 weeks. Use a maize/barley/soya hulls mix.3 kgs/ day. They need plenty of grass. Try to get them out on grass as early as possible. Chinese markets are mainly for cheaper cuts but under 30 months and they want cattle from unrestricted herds.

I expect a lot of these type of cattle to e flat priced next year.

Friesians are great to put on weight if they get plenty of grass.. a lot of Friesians can flesh easier than you think.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Why would you let them run over 30 months? If you're happy with their growth then surely you can pump the feed to them a little bit earlier. Thing about the fresians they'll grow into big stags of things but it's a lot of bone and frame.

My 5 sims off fresian cows are massive heifers now. As tall as a lot of the cows. Not much shape but I'm happy that if the calves come out a bit more shapy then they'll be 100%

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Why would you let them run over 30 months? If you're happy with their growth then surely you can pump the feed to them a little bit earlier. Thing about the fresians they'll grow into big stags of things but it's a lot of bone and frame.

My 5 sims off fresian cows are massive heifers now. As tall as a lot of the cows. Not much shape but I'm happy that if the calves come out a bit more shapy then they'll be 100%
    I'd cash in before 30 months. I recon like Bass says anything over 30 months might not be wanted if Chinese Market takes off. I've done them at 24 months and paid me much better than 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If you can get them to grass early in the spring and keep the grass in front of them all summer 8 weeks before you intentend to kill them start giving them plenty of meal as Bass said 3 -4 kgs a day to get the fat score up to a 2+ minimum and you will have no bother killing them under 30 months. If you notice any bit of a cough at all dose the lot of them even with the cheap stuff. FR are great cattle to thrive if they get half a chance. But similarly if they get a set back then it can take them a wee while to get going again.

• Advertisement

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    If you can get them to grass early in the spring and keep the grass in front of them all summer 8 weeks before you intentend to kill them start giving them plenty of meal as Bass said 3 -4 kgs a day to get the fat score up to a 2+ minimum and you will have no bother killing them under 30 months. If you notice any bit of a cough at all dose the lot of them even with the cheap stuff. FR are great cattle to thrive if they get half a chance. But similarly if they get a set back then it can take them a wee while to get going again.
    Yes the coughing caught me out in the past. Recon it was lung worm. The ones coughing be harder to finish alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

kk.man as a wise auld boy who would be feeding maybe 200 FR bullocks at any time said to me "there is no money in feeding parasites" .
    If you are buying in these type of cattle a lot of the time a good dose is the first thing they should get, I always give bought cattle closamectin pour on when they arrive home as it kills most of parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

When buying friesans you don't have to compete with the egos and showmen

kk.man as a wise auld boy who would be feeding maybe 200 FR bullocks at any time said to me "there is no money in feeding parasites" .
    If you are buying in these type of cattle a lot of the time a good dose is the first thing they should get, I always give bought cattle closamectin pour on when they arrive home as it kills most of parasites.

I use a ivermectin super( either Anime+ or Bimectin +)l lately on buy in. Gauge there weight and dose at 50kgs above. It kills all worms, lice, warables and fluke at about the 8 week stage. I do them again at housing and will use either trodax or Albex at the appropriate stage to kill rest of fluke.

I dose use either ivermectin pour on or injection then during the following summer period depending on time to slaughter. I dose about 7-9 weeks after turnout and again in August. Copper is given in April as well. Minerals over the winter.

The thrive on Friesian from turn out to August is often staggering. But you need to be buying them right to turn a margin

Slava Ukrainii

mf240 wrote: »
    When buying friesans you don't have to compete with the egos and showmen

As well dealers find it harder to find victim's for Friesians that are over priced.

Slava Ukrainii

I gave mine closamectin pour on at turn out too but found once the end of August or start of September came the coughing started. I'm going to nip it in the butt by giving them a cheaper dose aswell later like the start of August from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    I gave mine closamectin pour on at turn out too but found once the end of August or start of September came the coughing started. I'm going to nip it in the butt by giving them a cheaper dose aswell later like the start of August from next year.

Stores all get Levefas here on arrival. Then a fluke dose round January. That’s it till they are killed. Never have to dose anything over two year old here. Yearling get the same treatment on arrival but are dosed again in July/August.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

What minerals would lads recommend for weanlings over the winter, and with prices at present are ye meal feeding weanlings.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    What minerals would lads recommend for weanlings over the winter, and with prices at present are ye meal feeding weanlings.

I would always meal feed weanlings aboit 1.5kgs/ head. I get superchoice from dairy gold. But the minerals are very grey now compared to a very brown colour 2 years ago

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭Base price

dodo mommy wrote: »
    We have been using agrimin boluses - small trace for calves and all trace for older cattle for years. They work out at about €5.30 for calves and €5.70 for older cattle and they work for 180 days. IMO when you administer a bolus you know that the animal is getting the required minerals/vitamins as opposed to using bagged minerals where individual intake can be hit or miss.

https://www.agrimin.co.uk/all-tracer-cattle-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Base price wrote: »
    We have been using agrimin boluses - small trace for calves and all trace for older cattle for years. They work out at about €5.30 for calves and €5.70 for older cattle and they work for 180 days. IMO when you administer a bolus you know that the animal is getting the required minerals/vitamins as opposed to using bagged minerals where individual intake can be hit or miss.

https://www.agrimin.co.uk/all-tracer-cattle-0

I also use Agrimin Boluses and find that they work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I also use Agrimin Boluses and find that they work well.

Funny - just yesterday in the sheep forum we were chatting about bolus and people not being very happy with them... :)

I sometimes wonder about bolus's and other products like this. A 400kg bullock supposed to get 80 grams/day of minerals will consume 9 kgs over 120 days. It hard to believe that they can condense all this into a bolus that you can give them down the gullet and produce it cheaper than bagged minerals which costs about 6.60 for the same 120 days.

I never worry about cattle getting more one day and less the next over 120 days it will generally balance out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I sometimes wonder about bolus's and other products like this. A 400kg bullock supposed to get 80 grams/day of minerals will consume 9 kgs over 120 days. It hard to believe that they can condense all this into a bolus that you can give them down the gullet and produce it cheaper than bagged minerals which costs about 6.60 for the same 120 days.

I never worry about cattle getting more one day and less the next over 120 days it will generally balance out.

Never feed minerals here. Have you ever fed a pen and not fed another pen to see would you notice the difference at turnout or maybe it’s some that you don’t notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Never feed minerals here. Have you ever fed a pen and not fed another pen to see would you notice the difference at turnout or maybe it’s some that you don’t notice?

Tried that once. 2 pens got 2 didn’t and asked a salesman to tell them apart. Guess what happened

Cavanjack wrote: »

I always notice it in the spring. My cattle cost faster than most other lads do. Not only do they cost faster but generally a they cost cleaner as well. I feed a bit of lime as well. Lime leaches nutrients out of animals so you have to feed minerals as well. However it builds bone on cattle.

A recommendation I got was to withdraw minerals for 2-3 mid winter to let there livers clear out and reintroduce until turnout.

You will never notice difference between pens over the winter. Over 120 days an extra 50-100 grams/ day is 6-12 kgs. It's the thrive after turnout is where you notice it.

I have bought cattle in July this year that were not fully coated.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

OK I'm tending towards outwinter ING some FRX to meet the stocking rate next year. What weight should I buy in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Work back from when you will be selling ,ideally stores for finishing next winter would need to be minimum 500-550kg ,so lets say 200 kg gain off summer grazing next year ,you would ideally be buying them at as close to 300 kg as you could get value .Factor in you probably would end up squeezing them as well .What price are 250-280kg fr bulls coming into at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Would you give weanlings 2 Boluses? How much does that cost? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jfh wrote: »
    Would you give weanlings 2 Boluses? How much does that cost? Thanks
    It depends on the manufacturers recommendations vis a vie weigh/age of the animal. I have given an example above of cost per head for the Agrimin boluses that we use but there are other manufacturers selling boluses in Ireland. My advice would be to talk to your local agri store to see what products they sell and work out the cost per head on that basis.

Advertisement