Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance after a death

Options
  • 04-11-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭

Hi. My mother has recently passed away. Up until now the house has always been insured in her name. Myself and my partner have been living with her because she needed a carer (myself). My question now though is how do I go about making sure the house remains insured. Obviously the existing policy needs to be cancelled, its paid in full upto May 2020. As myself and my partner will be continuing to live here how should I proceed with my own insurance? As the Will will take time to be sorted out and I presume this would in turn take time to have the house owner name change, do I still look for insurance as a home owner or is there something else I should be doing? Would i be best to go face to face in an office and explain the situation.

Any help appreciated from those that may have been in a similar situation. We tried talking to the existing provider but they weren't very helpful because I wasnt named on the policy. The only thing they done was marked my mother as deceased.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

markc1184 wrote: »
    Obviously the existing policy needs to be cancelled, its paid in full upto May 2020.

Not necessarily, the insurance company have already noted that your mother has died, did they say the policy would be cancelled? There's no reason why they can't just rename the policyholder to 'the estate of xxx'. It's not like motor insurance - with home insurance the policy is more about the house and less about the policyholder.
    markc1184 wrote: »
    Any help appreciated from those that may have been in a similar situation. We tried talking to the existing provider but they weren't very helpful because I wasnt named on the policy. The only thing they done was marked my mother as deceased.

If they do cancel the policy and until probate is sorted , the executor should insure the house. And either way, if probate isn't completed by May 2020 when the current policy expires, the executor can renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Sorry for your loss, may she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Don't cancel if you don't have to.

I was an executor before and the only provider who would (continue to) insure the house in probate for me was the one who was in situ. You might find it very difficult to get house insurance if none is in place in your particular situation.

And sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Peterx wrote: »
    Don't cancel if you don't have to.

I was an executor before and the only provider who would (continue to) insure the house in probate for me was the one who was in situ. You might find it very difficult to get house insurance if none is in place in your particular situation.

And sorry for your loss.

+1 here, exact same situation. Transfer the payments to your own bank account and keep the current arrangement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement