Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance - door locks deadbolts

Options
  • 21-05-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

A number of home insurance policies have their minimum security requirements listing "All external doors are fitted with mortice deadlocks or deadlocking rim latches" or something similar.

Only a few have had additional lines to cover multi point locking systems as used on most doors I've seen installed on houses in the last 10-20 years - think upvc style.

I've found similar references to these locks and standards in the Door Security & Standards in https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Prevention/Doors-2017.pdf. A modern upvc door with a decent anti-snap lock should be much more secure than any wooden door with a deadbolt lock.

Basically I'm wondering why the policy docs are stuck in the past like they are. I'm guessing they don't want to start asking people what type of lock cylinder they have installed as it could get pretty complex.

Advertisement