Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promised Promotion but Cancelled due to CoVid

Options
  • 13-05-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I work for a large MNC was recently pushing for a promotion 12 months ago. Roll around to now and I got my promotion but the company have announced they are no promoting anyone due to CoVid19 & the financial situation.

I know many have lost jobs but it is still very frustrating not to be rewarded for all my hard work. Is there anything I should check with my employer or anyone in a similar boat? Really annoyed but still grateful I have a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thefa

Assuming you want the financial reward and not just the title, I think the best bet would be to just keep performing and give no excuse for the promotion not to go ahead when things improve, which they will. Maybe have a chat with your manager or bringing up at a review when the company is on the up again as a subtle reminder that you still are keen on the promotion. It can only serve you well showing you’re a team player and professional even facing a let down. It must be frustrating to be a victim of the circumstances but I’m sure you’ll get your reward in due course and whether you got promoted in 20 or 21 probably won’t matter when you look back on it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

thefa wrote: »
    It can only serve you well showing you’re a team player and professional even facing a let down.

It also shows that they undervalue themselves and are easily pushed around. There is always a huge double edged sword to actions like the above, always important to be conscious of that.

I don’t see how implementation of a company wide policy during Covid as being pushed around. We don’t know the company involved but the majority have taken hits with many implementing some form of cost reduction. Until the OP comes back saying others are still getting promoted, I disagree.

As far as a huge double-edged sword goes, I think you are projecting some exploitative business idea on the situation which, again, hasn’t been detailed at this point.

If the OP insists on the promotion immediately, do you see this being successful or working out well in any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

thefa wrote: »
    I don’t see how implementation of a company wide policy during Covid as being pushed around. We don’t know the company involved but the majority have taken hits with many implementing some form of cost reduction. Until the OP comes back saying others are still getting promoted, I disagree.

As far as a huge double-edged sword goes, I think you are projecting some exploitative business idea on the situation which, again, hasn’t been detailed at this point.

If the OP insists on the promotion immediately, do you see this being successful or working out well in any sense?

Why promote others when you can get away with not doing that? There's really no benefits for any organisation to promote staff. They would simply be spending extra money for the sake of it.

I'm projecting a huge exploitative business idea because that's exactly what happens the majority of the business world. Businesses exploit situations for their own benefit. That's the fact of business.

I definitely see the short and long term benefits of making a strong detailed case for the promotion. I really don't see any down side to making a case at the very least.

Augme wrote: »
    Why promote others when you can get away with not doing that? There's really no benefits for any organisation to promote staff. They would simply be spending extra money for the sake of it.

I'm projecting a huge exploitative business idea because that's exactly what happens the majority of the business world. Businesses exploit situations for their own benefit. That's the fact of business.

I definitely see the short and long term benefits of making a strong detailed case for the promotion. I really don't see any down side to making a case at the very least.

Indeed there’s an opportunity to have a chat with your manager as I said in my first post, especially if say the additional duties of the promotion are still required but expectations would want to be tapered in light of the directive. If the company make an exception, it will just create issues for them. I personally do not think it sounds like good timing to dig the heels in over and i can’t see impatience being rewarded in the circumstances.

You can think what you want of businesses but they promote staff to retain good staff and fill roles in-house which often carries less costs and risks. I’m sure there could be opportunities for the OP in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

You've been walloped by an extraordinary external event, outside of your and the company's control.

It sounds like you were both in a good place together - you doing well, them wanting to promote you. I'd aim to stay in that place in the hope that what was planned will get back on track once the crisis lessen a bit and things start returning to normal.

If the company try to long-finger you on it when the time comes or if you think you can do better elsewhere, then you always have the option of moving to another employer, of course. Just not a great time to do it, but you'll know your situation and the cards you hold best.

There might be some other concession or perk they can give you in the meantime, which has some if not all of the value, which helps you along a bit.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement