Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business/Investment news

Options
  • 14-05-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I was wondering where do you read your daily business news, do you have any particular website/newspaper that you like more than others and are any of them worth the money they charge? I'll probably try most below for a month or so to get a feel on my own, but I figured it's worth checking what others think and maybe you can even add to the list.

At the moment I regularly check:
    1. Yahoo Finance - very convenient as you can add your portfolio + stocks/companies you're interested in and the site filters news relevant to those companies
    2. Morningstar - I love their podcasts (Insight one and Long View) and find general news section quite helpful. Not sure what you get if you signup for basic account though?
    3. Investopedia - Free one, extremely helpful for educational purposes IMO
    4. Financial Times - Just glance it over, I'll probably subscribe to see if it's worth it. Maybe somebody has some insight?

Sites I'm thinking about:
    • Zacks
    • The Wall Street Journal
    • MyWallSt
    These three I don't read/use, but I did hear them mentioned on quite a few podcasts. Anybody uses them on regular basis, are they worth the money or?

News outlets I'm thinking about for some time now:
    • The Economist
    • New York Times
    Lastly, I'm pondering subscribing to the above two for quite some time now, New York Times for some politics and other non-business related news as well. Anybody here reading those regularly (New York Times - Business section in particular, as I know what to expect from the rest of it) - what's your take on value in those?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Macrovoices is is an amazing podcast with very good weekly updates by the hosts on the US and global macroeconomic situation and interviews with very smart people. 2 episodes per week on average (a regular one and a special). It has been my best sources both to keep on top of the global economics situation and learning concepts which will be useful to me in the long term.

It is free and available an all podcast platforms or on their website. It is macro-level, so you won't get anything about specific companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• WSJ
    • FT
    • Businessweek
    • Economist
    • Barrons
    • IBD
    • The annual and quarterly reports for the positions I hold
    • The annual and quarterly reports of the 5 main competitors of the positions I hold
    • Various trade publications for the banking and insurance sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    • WSJ
    • FT
    • Businessweek
    • Economist
    • Barrons
    • IBD
    • The annual and quarterly reports for the positions I hold
    • The annual and quarterly reports of the 5 main competitors of the positions I hold
    • Various trade publications for the banking and insurance sectors.

What's your take on Economist against the others, as that one seems to be popping up most frequent in conversations...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    What's your take on Economist against the others, as that one seems to be popping up most frequent in conversations...

It should be basic reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ransquawk and Bloomberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

FT,
    Bloomberg,
    Economist,
    IMO subscriptions to the above 3 are a must.

Then:
    FinTwit,
    Irish Times,
    Macrovoices,
    WSJ,
    NYT,
    Zerohedge (worth a glance as it can sometimes have nuggets)

Advertisement