Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Living In Scotland

• 18-07-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, and apologies if the question seems a little ignorant.

I am aware that there are users of Boards.ie who live in Scotland. What are your experiences of living in Scotland as an Irish person/Irish people? I have always found Scotland to be very beautiful on short trips I've spent there and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, living somewhere is different to visiting on holiday. Is there a strong trend of anti-Irishness or is it something the media blows out of all proportion? I would like to hope its the second and that if you mind your own business its no more problematic to live in Scotland than in Wales or England. However, you do tend to hear a lot more about anti-Irishness in Scotland than in the rest of the UK.

Incidentally, the area I would be looking at is in and around Edinburgh (possibly living in Lothian or Fife).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh, just go there and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

snubbleste wrote: »
    Oh, just go there and see.

I'm at a stage of life, and particularly in terms of family, that I can't be chopping and changing where I live at the drop of a hat. If I make a move then I need to be looking at it for the long term. Hence, asking the question so it would be more helpful to receive more informed replies but thanks for responding anyway.

It can be an urban, working-class thing, but yes there often is a strong-anti Irish feeling in Scotland. But it's not just just the Irish you know. The same people are usually anti-English, anti-French and anti-Pakistani too.

I could never understand the animosity as I have some family in Scotland and I prefer to think of Scotland as a natural extension of Ireland. Just ignore any anti-Irish sentiment you find there, everything about it is beautiful otherwise.

It can be an urban, working-class thing, but yes there often is a strong-anti Irish feeling in Scotland. But it's not just just the Irish you know. The same people are usually anti-English, anti-French and anti-Pakistani too.

I could never understand the animosity as I have some family in Scotland and I prefer to think of Scotland as a natural extension of Ireland. Just ignore any anti-Irish sentiment you find there, everything about it is beautiful otherwise.

Thanks. I've always thought of Wales in that way to be honest. Sounds like, from what you're saying, that it exists but a lot of it is blown up by the media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

The trouble with Scotland,is that its full of Scots...

• Advertisement

fran17 wrote: »

Always preferred this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Very Bored wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, and apologies if the question seems a little ignorant.

I am aware that there are users of Boards.ie who live in Scotland. What are your experiences of living in Scotland as an Irish person/Irish people? I have always found Scotland to be very beautiful on short trips I've spent there and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, living somewhere is different to visiting on holiday. Is there a strong trend of anti-Irishness or is it something the media blows out of all proportion? I would like to hope its the second and that if you mind your own business its no more problematic to live in Scotland than in Wales or England. However, you do tend to hear a lot more about anti-Irishness in Scotland than in the rest of the UK.

Incidentally, the area I would be looking at is in and around Edinburgh (possibly living in Lothian or Fife).

My supervisor is English and the one place he would never go back to is Scotland. There's a stronger sense of anti Englishness there than anti Irish IMO.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    My supervisor is English and the one place he would never go back to is Scotland. There's a stronger sense of anti Englishness there than anti Irish IMO.

Similar to Ireland so :).

Similar to Ireland so :).

Well he lives here and hasn't had any problems so not really. Oh and he lived in Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr.Goodman

Has groundskeeper Willie not thought you anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U

• Advertisement

Well he lives here and hasn't had any problems so not really. Oh and he lived in Edinburgh.

I would say it depends where in Ireland he lives. If he lives in Dublin I would suggest its different to living in certain other areas around the country and I'm not just talking about in and around the north.

That said, from what has been said by other posters here it seems like it probably is blown up at least in terms of the Irish.

I would say it depends where in Ireland he lives. If he lives in Dublin I would suggest its different to living in certain other areas around the country and I'm not just talking about in and around the north.

That said, from what has been said by other posters here it seems like it probably is blown up at least in terms of the Irish.

The level of anti immigrant in this case English man in Ireland doesn't compare to the levels of anti immigrant in Scotland.

Mr.Goodman wrote: »
    Has groundskeeper Willie not thought you anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U

When he started proposing himself as leader of an indepedent Scotland instead of Billy Connolly I started to ignore him ;).

Sounds like, from what you're saying, that it exists but a lot of it is blown up by the media etc.
    It is exaggerated in my view because I've never had a problem with it, but then I've never worked in Scotland.

I imagine if you were a nurse, a bank clerk or (here, knock on wood) a clamper, you might experience this bigotry, but those people tend to become pretty hardened to the slurs of the public anyway.

If you live in a nice neighbourhood in Scotland and you work in any half-decent environment, I'd struggle to believe that you would witness any anti-Irishness bigotry, whereas you might get it in the most horrible corners of Glasgow.

Well my supervisor is a scientist and experienced strong anti English sentiment from other scientists. He discouraged me for applying for a job in Edinburgh university.

It is exaggerated in my view because I've never had a problem with it, but then I've never worked in Scotland.

I imagine if you were a nurse, a bank clerk or (here, knock on wood) a clamper, you might experience this bigotry, but those people tend to become pretty hardened to the slurs of the public anyway.

If you live in a nice neighbourhood in Scotland and you work in any half-decent environment, I'd struggle to believe that you would witness any anti-Irishness bigotry, whereas you might get it in the most horrible corners of Glasgow.

OK, thanks. Doesn't sound all that different to anywhere else. I've been spat at in a rougher area of Dublin by some scumbag because I was wearing a Kilkenny shirt. Does that mean everyone in Dublin hates people from Kilkenny? Hardly. Would I have been spat at had I been wearing anything else? Possibly. Have I been in Dublin at other times with a Kilkenny shirt and not had problems. Yes, an infinite amount. Equally, I have an English friend who was told to f*ck off by a bus driver in Wales for being English. He lived in Wales for many years before and after and never had problems. Sounds from what you're saying that it is as I hoped, I could run into bother if I'm unlucky but no more than anywhere else and on the one hand it could be for being Irish whilst on the other it could be because I'm tall, wear glasses or am exceedingly handsome (rolling on floor laughing).

Sounds good. Now all I need to do is sort out all the other details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

That's a stretch. Plenty of rural Ireland has had English migration for years, west cork is an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm not a fan of Scotland personally, but I'm not Irish. Not my cup of tea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I'm Irish, and have now lived in Scotland near 8 years.

I work all round Scotland, and have met people from all parts of the country.

I've never come across anything anti-Irish, or even been aware that it was apparently a thing - either based on my own experiences or other Irish people I've known here.

Oh and my Irish accent is as strong as ever, so it's not like they don't know I'm Irish. Constantly get asked to say 'dirty tree and a turd', and I've found there's a big novelty factor to being Irish in Scotland.

A Scot recently gave me a tip that asking Scots to say 'there's been a murder' is the equivalant of them asking us to say 33 and a third, so have been having good fun with that :D

All good fun, and cannot recommend Scotland strongly enough.

Also, OP, regards if you're posting in the right part of the site, I'd say there may also be a few relevant threads in the UK section, as there's a few Scotland related threads there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=915

• Advertisement

That's a stretch. Plenty of rural Ireland has had English migration for years, west cork is an example.

I'm from rural Ireland so I wasn't having a pop and I know a number of people even from my own locality who are anti-English.
    I'm Irish, and have now lived in Scotland near 8 years.

I work all round Scotland, and have met people from all parts of the country.

I've never come across anything anti-Irish, or even been aware that it was apparently a thing - either based on my own experiences or other Irish people I've known here.

Oh and my Irish accent is as strong as ever, so it's not like they don't know I'm Irish. Constantly get asked to say 'dirty tree and a turd', and I've found there's a big novelty factor to being Irish in Scotland.

A Scot recently gave me a tip that asking Scots to say 'there's been a murder' is the equivalant of them asking us to say 33 and a third, so have been having good fun with that :D

All good fun, and cannot recommend Scotland strongly enough.

Also, OP, regards if you're posting in the right part of the site, I'd say there may also be a few relevant threads in the UK section, as there's a few Scotland related threads there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=915

Thanks. Sounds good.

This post has been deleted.
    What an enlightened people.

Well my supervisor is a scientist and experienced strong anti English sentiment from other scientists. He discouraged me for applying for a job in Edinburgh university.

That's very surprising. My mum worked in Ed U a very long time ago (in science) and loved it. She's Irish, but had lived in England a good while at that point. She often talks fondly of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not living in Scotland but i've been there a good few times. The only anti-Irish sentiment i've got since moving to the UK has been from Scottish people. That said some Scottish people will love you if you're Irish.

It's not really a place i'd like to live though. I've seen enough of the place in my numerous visits there and don't really feel that compelled to go back unless i have to. (Though i will add the Hebrides is the only place i've been able to find white pudding in all my time in the UK so Scotland has that going for it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think some Scots have a deep down resentment of the Irish for some reason. My theory is they resent that we actually did what they don't have the balls to do - go your own way. Scotland is like a child that refuses to leave home (home being the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Spent 2 summers in Scotland, Edinburgh, while studying.
    Loved it, never once came across any anti-Irish stuff.
    Had a ball, Scottish women loving our accents.

The thing about the Scots is that they feckin hate everyone equally, even themselves. They're a bit like the Aussies that way. They hate everyone, but hate themselves so much that they don't take out their hatred of others on them. If ya get me.

They've a very specific dark sense of humour too..... I know that's a sweeping generalisation....
    It's kind of like they way us lot are very self-deprecating about ourselves individually, well, the Scots take that to a higher level.

EG.
    A: I'm a bit of a bawbag
    B: Aye, y'are. Sure, I'm worse though, I'm just a pure c*nt.
    A: Naw, you're just a bampot, I'm the pure c*nt

etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CantonaGod

Lived in Edinburgh and Linlithgow for 10 years, a bit of banter with the more rangers orientated locals, apart from that no issues. 99% of scots are grand and v similar in outlook to Irish. There are subtle differences (not the most generous nation). Other nationalities wil come in for much more negative reaction than Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

They couldn't really care if you are Irish or not tbh, I was there. Compared to mainland England there is far less ethnic minority groups in Scotland but wages are generally lower and they have some pretty bad socio economic issues in many parts of Scotland.

Nice scenery, I did the Isle of skye, the highlands and the orkney Islands. Superb.

Glasgow is a dump and Edinburgh is a very nice spot. Aberdeen is a place to avoid like the plague unless you love traffic and insane property prices.

Hachiko wrote: »
    They couldn't really care if you are Irish or not tbh, I was there. Compared to mainland England there is far less ethnic minority groups in Scotland but wages are generally lower and they have some pretty bad socio economic issues in many parts of Scotland.

Nice scenery, I did the Isle of skye, the highlands and the orkney Islands. Superb.

Glasgow is a dump and Edinburgh is a very nice spot. Aberdeen is a place to avoid like the plague unless you love traffic and insane property prices.

I've always thought Glasgow was underrated. Edinburgh is something else though. I've never been to Aberdeen but I have always wanted to for some strange reason, for some odd reason I have a picture in my head that its nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I've been living in Scotland for the last 6 years
    I experienced alot of anti-Irish sentiment in smaller towns where I lived. It was quiet viscious at times but the same people are also the types who were just bigots in general.
    Depends what circles you travel in. Amongst less educated people you will no doubt experience it varying from just taking the piss to genuine vicious hatred. More educated people probably think it but don't say it. But friendly piss taking will always be there and if you have a problem with that then stay in Ireland.
    More often than not though you will get a warm welcome due to being Irish or just a warm welcome because Scottish people are lovely.
    I live in a very small place now in rural scotland, most of the people are grand.
    No idea about Glasgow and Edinburgh only every visited those places but Glasgow people are incredibly friendly. I've been there alot lately and the people are great. Used to think it was a ****hole but I've come to like it more over the last few months.

Friendly piss-taking doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've lived in Wales and in England and both received and given it in equal measure. Plus, for a while my voice took on a Welsh twang from living in Wales so initially when I came back to Ireland I was in the bizarre situation of being Irish but being called a sheepshagger etc. As I speak Italian and have a lot of Italian friends I even get and give from that point-of-view too. Even the nastiness you mention seems like its amongst the rougher elements which is to be expected everywhere. That kind would hate someone because they were wearing yellow whilst they were wearing brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I lived in Scotland for about 14 years and though it took a few years the place and the people really grew on me. There's a small Irish (Catholic) hating element for sure but they are usually easily spot in their rangers football tops or by their tattoos. Most Scottish people love the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I live in Edinburgh and I've never heard any anti-Irish comments here. I wasn't aware that was even something that happened until someone I know mentioned that there was an anti-Irish sentiment in Aberdeen when they first moved there (but that was decades ago!). Most of the time when you say you're Irish, the person tells you they've been to Ireland and like it, actually.

If anything, I've found Scottish people to be very friendly towards us Irish. We have similar cultures (the Scottish Gaelic-speakers in particular), we have similar senses of humour and the countries are quite similar geographically as well. I guess I don't know any Rangers fans though, maybe it would be different if I was hanging out with them.

Edinburgh's a very international city in general though, full of people from all over the world so the Irish don't stand out at all here, even though there's a huge Irish community. I hear a lot of Irish accents when I go into town, mainly students. The Edinburghers love their "Irish bars" though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

fran17 wrote: »

I like the Scottish, but gave me a chuckle!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I have about 4 Irish friends living in Edinburgh, Im half-scots / half-irish myself and depending on where you live (as with all countries) its amazing. It's better to live there than Ireland in a lot of ways and cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've worked with a number of Scottish people in Ireland and a couple of them were even Rangers fans but obviously not the ultra biggotted hardcore or they wouldn't have been living and working here. Always great craic and banter with them, my impression has been that Scottish and Irish people are incredibly alike in a lot of ways, there are of course exceptions to the rule by generally speaking we're two people's who compliment each other well.
    The tight fisted stereotype seems to be something they like to play up to, which always leads of good banter.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I live in Edinburgh and I've never heard any anti-Irish comments here. I wasn't aware that was even something that happened until someone I know mentioned that there was an anti-Irish sentiment in Aberdeen when they first moved there (but that was decades ago!). Most of the time when you say you're Irish, the person tells you they've been to Ireland and like it, actually.

If anything, I've found Scottish people to be very friendly towards us Irish. We have similar cultures (the Scottish Gaelic-speakers in particular), we have similar senses of humour and the countries are quite similar geographically as well. I guess I don't know any Rangers fans though, maybe it would be different if I was hanging out with them.

Edinburgh's a very international city in general though, full of people from all over the world so the Irish don't stand out at all here, even though there's a huge Irish community. I hear a lot of Irish accents when I go into town, mainly students. The Edinburghers love their "Irish bars" though...

Edinburgh is a well educated town, that has very few native scots. Not a fair representation of Scotland at all.

I find the scots to be quite racist. I live north of Edinburgh, in a far less populous town/city. They love the Irish, until we dissent that is. Even during the independence referendum, every scottish nationalist I knew or met would be pally pally with me, until I revealed that I was a 'No' voter. Then I become an Irish C*nt. Same for defending english people. If you dare speak up in favour of England or an English individual, stand by! Although maybe that's nationalists in general.

English people get a terrible time over here. Outright racism towards England as a country and English individuals.... and thats not limited to nationalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have several relations and friends who went to Aberdeen to study and have stayed in Scotland to work afterwards. No one's ever mentioned any trouble, they all have lots of Scottish friends and Scottish significant others, the Rangers v Celtic thing is always cause for some banter but no more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

discus wrote: »
    Edinburgh is a well educated town, that has very few native scots. Not a fair representation of Scotland at all.

I find the scots to be quite racist. I live north of Edinburgh, in a far less populous town/city.

Oh, I know Edinburgh's an anomaly. But I'm just back from a week in rural Skye and was in Glasgow, Inverness and Aberdeen lately too (on a work-related thing, meeting with locals), and I have quite a few friends from other parts of the country. I have honestly never experienced any anti-Irish sentiment anywhere here. I guess it depends on where you go and who you mix with though, like anywhere. I did try to stay out of the referendum conversations though, like you said, they mightn't have liked me expressing opinions on that...

I learned everything I needed to know about Scotland from darkplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

I moved to Edinburgh in 1988, though I'm not there at the moment (currently living in Asia). I never had any problems being (Northern) Irish. Yes, some piss-taking, etc., but I kinda enjoy that.

I could never understand the animosity as I have some family in Scotland and I prefer to think of Scotland as a natural extension of Ireland.

Maybe that there is the problem?

Maybe they just don't like being seeing as "an extension of Ireland" or "an extension of England" or whatever. They just want to be seen as...Scottish. Which would be completely understandable.

Maybe that there is the problem?

Maybe they just don't like being seeing as "an extension of Ireland" or "an extension of England" or whatever. They just want to be seen as...Scottish. Which would be completely understandable.
    It's just my personal view.

I don't ring up Heartland FM every time I go over, to tell them some unknown Irishman thinks of Scotland like a natural extension of Ireland. You flatter me to think anyone would be bothered enough to be care one way or the other.

It's just my personal view.

I don't ring up Heartland FM every time I go over, to tell them some unknown Irishman thinks of Scotland like a natural extension of Ireland. You flatter me to think anyone would be bothered enough to be care one way or the other.

Oh no no no. I wasn't for a minute suggesting you are famous in Scotland.

But a lot of Irish people do share that view, that they are our Celtic cousins, we're all the same, people here were on the edge of their seats hoping Scotland would vote to leave the Union - it was the headline news here for a while - and so on. I was merely suggesting that our desire to throw our arms around them might provoke some of the antipathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

I've been living in Edinburgh for 5 years now and I absolutely love it. I definitely haven't experienced any anti Irishness. Most of my friends here will take the piss out of my accent a bit, but in an affectionate way. Temperament wise, I think Scottish people are really similar to Irish people. It's a fantastic city to live in, as well as being absolutely beautiful. I'm starting to sound like the Scottish tourist board now, but I really do love it. I'm 27 now and have no intention of moving back to Ireland any time soon.

Advertisement