Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Try Autoline, and First Ireland. It might also be worth going into your local FBD office. Alternatively, put your Classic in your partners name, with you a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rippy wrote: »
    i'm also named driver on partners car

That is usually good enough for the classic policies that First Ireland do, but if I were you, I'd ring them all, Rippy

An hours work or so but you could possibly save hundreds...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So .. i've been through all the ones, that I could think off ...

I've got an original irish 1985 Land Rover 110 High-cap pickup, that's been completely rebuild and is modified ... and that in itself presents a few challenges.

First Ireland won't insure it under the vintage insurance, because the maximum increase in engine that their insurance broker AXA will accept is 400cc. My 110 started life with a 2.5l 200TDI ... but it now has a 3.5l Mazda SLTi under the bonnet.

Carole Nash won't insure it, because it's a pickup.

Campion Insurance won't insure it, because my daily driver is over 15 years old.

Autoline was the only one, that gave me a quote of 630 EUR. That being said, that's fully comp, 5k milage/yr, windscreen, recovery etc. included.

Any other suggestions ? Is there any club memberships, that would help me bringing the price down ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Marlow wrote:
    Any other suggestions ? Is there any club memberships, that would help me bringing the price down ?

Www.iveta.ie vintage cars, jeeps and vans policies are 220e for 20-24 year vehicles or 125e once over 25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Www.iveta.ie vintage cars, jeeps and vans policies are 220e for 20-24 year vehicles or 125e once over 25

Touch site URLs need www prefix otherwise they are corrupted.

https://www.iveta.ie/

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Esel wrote: »
    Touch site URLs need www prefix otherwise they are corrupted.

https://www.iveta.ie/

It says club membership is €25 with insurance taken out.

John Dough wrote: »
    It says club membership is €25 with insurance taken out.

Reasonable I'd have thought?

The explanation is here:
    https://www.iveta.ie/index.php/insurance

Simona1986 wrote: »

What insurer are they using as rates seem very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

John Dough wrote: »
    What insurer are they using as rates seem very competitive.
    Cover can only be initiated on receipt of completed proposal form to Campions Offices.

Says it on the page there :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Marlow wrote: »
    Says it on the page there :)

/M

I have looked for it but I can't find it?

Is a daily car required for this policy? They don't mention it...

• Advertisement

Is a daily car required for this policy? They don't mention it...

It's mentioned on the proposal form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Third party only, no fire and theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Evening folks.

I'm 25. Have been a named driver on the auld fella's FBD policy for the past 7 years or so. No claims in that time. Currently rattling along in a 1.4D4D Corolla, happy out.

Looking to insure a 1990 1.8l Sierra as a daily driver in coming weeks. Will be doing roughly 35k km's a year so a limited mileage classic policy isn't an option.

Hoping to phone around tomorrow evening. Seeing as I've a history with FBD I'll phone them first. After that who should be my next port of call?

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

So you need a daily insured car and third party only for E125 not bad!!
    Any other stipulations like engineers test ,NCT and tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Wow, 14 years since I started this thread?!
    Time flies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Do the non Autoline companies also discriminate against non imported Japanese cars? For example if I bought an Irish MR2/Lexus 400 will they still give the mass produced spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Hi folks, I'm turning 25 in a few weeks and looking to pick up a classic over the next few months. I had been reading this thread and understood that most classic car insurers would take a car at 20 years, provided the driver was over 25 themselves.

I had been looking at cheap (€2-3000) MX5s and it seemed Autoline would be a good bet. I rang them to see what their requirements and they said that the age for Jap cars had now been raised for 30 years old (for the driver), in line with what other insurers were now doing. Rang a few others and got the same story - they won't touch a Jap car now whether it's an import or domestic model unless the driver is 30+. They said they would do a Euro car (ie. E30 318 BMW) no problem at 25. Problem is, I wouldn't rate the reliability of BMWs and such vs Japanese cars.

Has anyone got any advice in terms of either insurance companies that would provide classic insurance for a Jap car at age 25 or even reliable and inexpensive models of Euro car if I was to go down that route instead? Or better yet - does anyone own a early '90s BMW and can confirm if they are as unreliable as everyone says?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I dont know who you've been taking to about the bmw's but I guess they either had a bad experience or never had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hi folks, I'm turning 25 in a few weeks and looking to pick up a classic over the next few months. I had been reading this thread and understood that most classic car insurers would take a car at 20 years, provided the driver was over 25 themselves.

I had been looking at cheap (€2-3000) MX5s and it seemed Autoline would be a good bet. I rang them to see what their requirements and they said that the age for Jap cars had now been raised for 30 years old (for the driver), in line with what other insurers were now doing. Rang a few others and got the same story - they won't touch a Jap car now whether it's an import or domestic model unless the driver is 30+. They said they would do a Euro car (ie. E30 318 BMW) no problem at 25. Problem is, I wouldn't rate the reliability of BMWs and such vs Japanese cars.

Has anyone got any advice in terms of either insurance companies that would provide classic insurance for a Jap car at age 25 or even reliable and inexpensive models of Euro car if I was to go down that route instead? Or better yet - does anyone own a early '90s BMW and can confirm if they are as unreliable as everyone says?

Thanks in advance guys!

Seems to be hit and miss with insurers. I insured a twin turbo Z when I was 25 classically without any issues with FBD; that was 4 years ago. Still have the car, still insured with them, still the same price upon renewal

Walked into FBD yesterday to see if they'd insure a Peugeot 406 classically and was told they wouldn't. When I asked why they said it would need to be over 25 years, which I casually pointed out about a 98 C180 we have with them insured classically. I was then told some fumbly excuse about it not being a classic so I walked out. I'll just keep asking round

I'll be looking to insure my E34 (again) later this year when it turns 30. It is an electrical nightmare I attribute to the cars age and condition of the earthing points and has on occasion left me at the side of the road (many moons ago at this stage). Still wouldn't trade it for the world though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I can't really speak for my own E30 as thats in the shed the last 8 years :rolleyes:

But I never had any major problems when I had a E30 touring with 318iS engine fitted, it was my daily. The only unreliable thing about it was me replacing things that I thought would take an hour but ended up taking a full day! Once properly maintained there is no reason for them to not be reliable, I have a number of friends who daily theirs.

My daily is 1999 318iS and it has been very reliable, the starter is acting up now but I already have a new one ready to go in. Besides the usual consumables such as bushes both bmw's have been very good from my experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

A friend wanted to insure a 02 Mercedes E200 with Autoline, but they turned it down. He already insured with them for a 99 Merc. but would not do a transfer. When I asked why, they told me that since First Jan.last they will only insure cars OVER 20 years old, and drivers over 30 years old. This was due to people using their 15/16/17 year old cars for every day use. They did mention that they MIGHT insure Jags, Ferraries, & Soft Top Mercs, over 15 years old. I don't think there is now any Insurance that will offer Classic Insurance on a 15 year old car.!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

mattroche wrote: »
    I don't think there is now any Insurance that will offer Classic Insurance on a 15 year old car.!!

Maybe not here in Ireland, but over the water...

Age of vehicle for the purposes of classic car insurance is really down to the vehicle and the underwriting gods at the company concerned.

I've had no issue (in the UK) insuring a Citroen BX when it hit 20 years old. Try the same now with a Xantia and you may find the answer "non". I couldn't add a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet to my existing classic car policy with one insurer (it was 18 years old, but they'd take it at 20), but I could start a fresh policy with another (because it was over 15). It would probably be a no if it was a tin-topped 306.

In terms of Japanese cars, I've noticed in recent times that it has to be much older and more exclusive to get past the underwriters.

Underwriting policy may change over time, but also differ between existing and new business.

Edit to add:
    Insurers found quick and easy to say "over 25" for the vehicle age in the past. Now they are having to develop their methods of weeding out those looking for a cheap meal ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A follow up from my earlier post.

Bought a '92 Sierra and have it insured on it's own policy with FBD.

I'm 25 years old, have been a named driver on an FBD policy for ~7 years.
    3rd party, fire and theft.
    35,000km's a year.
    Full glass cover.

€920

Might be of interest to someone searching the thread in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Does anyone know what’s up at AXA? My branch closed (Nutgrove) who always gave great service. Wanted to get a price to change my Audi 80 to an ‘87 200, took about 2 days and 3 hours to get through, spoke to a lad in the North who said to go to a branch, he suggested Wicklow!!.....😡 Catch 22.

Rang FBD and they quoted no problem, need proof of a main use second car. Now back on to AXA trying to cancel my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

mattroche wrote: »
    A friend wanted to insure a 02 Mercedes E200 with Autoline, but they turned it down. He already insured with them for a 99 Merc. but would not do a transfer. When I asked why, they told me that since First Jan.last they will only insure cars OVER 20 years old, and drivers over 30 years old. This was due to people using their 15/16/17 year old cars for every day use. They did mention that they MIGHT insure Jags, Ferraries, & Soft Top Mercs, over 15 years old. I don't think there is now any Insurance that will offer Classic Insurance on a 15 year old car.!!

I have my Supra with them but wanted to buy a gen 3 MR2 but they did not start selling here until 2000 so I guess I cant do it for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I think Autoline give a different schpeel for everyone, I just took out a policy with them, 29, car is 15 years old and is a UK import Jap marque.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That set you back two grand, InstaSte? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

unkel wrote: »
    That set you back two grand, InstaSte? :p

€580

Daily is €830 with RSA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Has anyone added a 15yo car with First Ireland recently? I have the legacy policy etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi does fbd offer breakdown assist with classic car comp cover as i might need to use it to get a car to a garage for repair if so what company do they use & what is the number to ring.

Advertisement