Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just an aside, but does anyone know if the total bunch of bus stops on Bachelor's Walk will be spread backwards a bit?

It is total chaos there at the moment. Too many buses both DB, private and hop on/off etc. all struggling for a space to set down and open the doors to let people on and off. The pavements are very narrow also.

I'm thinking of the road space between Swifts Row and Liffey Street here. Given the spirit of Bus Connects, it would only involve a few metres of walking compared to the current situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Kh1993 wrote: »
    It also Rolestown will be served by Ashbourne to Swords bus that doesn't fall under their remit. Who'd remit is it? Local Link? BE?

A tendered out NTA service similar to the 139 would be my bet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just an aside, but does anyone know if the total bunch of bus stops on Bachelor's Walk will be spread backwards a bit?

It is total chaos there at the moment. Too many buses both DB, private and hop on/off etc. all struggling for a space to set down and open the doors to let people on and off. The pavements are very narrow also.

I'm thinking of the road space between Swifts Row and Liffey Street here. Given the spirit of Bus Connects, it would only involve a few metres of walking compared to the current situation!

I'm sure that chaos will be reined in.

It's insane in the morning. So much so I've taken to hopping off at the four courts and hopping on a 145 there for safety.

I would hazard that with the removal of private car traffic will reduce the chaos omewhat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It can at times,appear as if we in Dublin have presented Jarret Walker with some massively complex conundrum,unsolveable by modern man.

The reality is we haven't,we are simply yet another City which has realised that it's current Public Bus Service has long passed it's ability to cope.

Take Wellington New Zealand as an example.

It's City Council first embraced JW & Associates back in 2012.

https://wellingtontransport.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/wellington-bus-review/

A quick read through the points of debate at the time,shows it could have been C&P'd directly from Dublin 2018....

Yet in Wellington,some 6 Years later,we find the Bus service situation remains less than fully sorted....one wonders where we in dublin will find ourselves in 2024 ?

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/363666/wellington-new-bus-services-to-change-following-complaints

Interesting too,that Wellington also appears to have it's own IR issues with perhaps a Kiwi Dermot O Leary leading the charge. :)

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/362547/tit-for-tat-continues-between-wellington-union-and-bus-company

Onwards and upwards down under...:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I'm sure that chaos will be reined in.

It's insane in the morning. So much so I've taken to hopping off at the four courts and hopping on a 145 there for safety.

I would hazard that with the removal of private car traffic will reduce the chaos omewhat anyway.

Yes, I have done similar myself on occasion!

Are you SURE that cars will be removed from that section of the Quays though? I thought it was imperative that access to Arnott's car park was a priority. Way above the thousands of commuters who need a Dublin style "rapid transport" lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes, I have done similar myself on occasion!

Are you SURE that cars will be removed from that section of the Quays though? I thought it was imperative that access to Arnott's car park was a priority. Way above the thousands of commuters who need a Dublin style "rapid transport" lol.

DCC has been more/less removed from the decision making process. The NTA are planning a cycle way.

cgcsb wrote: »
    DCC has been more/less removed from the decision making process. The NTA are planning a cycle way.

That's interesting. I haven't heard a peep from Arnott's re lack of car access so far.

What will happen now!

I am a bit sceptical, not to you personally cgcsb, but because this could be a game changer. I'm thinking of BT car park in S. William Street, a place that could be a total model for pedestrianisation, but no, why? because access/egress is required for BT car parks.

Oh I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I spent a bit of time on the interactive map and generated a few isochrones. 

I took ten large centres of employment around the city and looked for the increase in jobs accessible within 60 minutes. Table below.

For my sample the increase is between +1% and +94%, with a non-weighted average of +27%. The smallest improvements are in the city centre and the biggest improvements are in the outskirts. 

This is consistent with all of the Bus Connects rhetoric. The 'An Lár' focus of the network will remain, but the big missing links - radial routes - will be much improved.

Location   60-minute jobs reachable
    Airport 30%
    Mater 10%
    Blanchardstown Centre 94%
    Intel 36%
    IFSC (Mayor st/Guild st) 1%
    Google 9%
    Dublin Castle 3%
    Dundrum town centre 22%
    Square Tallaght 31%
    UCD   32%
    Average   27%

That's interesting. I haven't heard a peep from Arnott's re lack of car access so far.

What will happen now!

I am a bit sceptical, not to you personally cgcsb, but because this could be a game changer. I'm thinking of BT car park in S. William Street, a place that could be a total model for pedestrianisation, but no, why? because access/egress is required for BT car parks.

Oh I could go on.

Arnotts is only a problem because of the city councillors that the car lobby have in their back pocket and useful contrarian idiots like Flynn. Arnotts access will be maintained via an alternative route but will be much harder to get to. A similar job on BT would be ideal. These car parks are sitting on some seriously valuable land, obviously it pays to park cars or they'd have sold out by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It seems to me the middle class don't like these proposals because they impede on their front gardens and it forces them out of their cars and onto more sustainable means of transport where they may have to mix with the great unwashed and the working class don't like it because they have a massive chip on their shoulder and think everyone with some degree of power is out to try and screw them. That's my read on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It seems to me the middle class don't like these proposals because they impede on their front gardens and it forces them out of their cars and onto more sustainable means of transport where they may have to mix with the great unwashed and the working class don't like it because they have a massive chip on their shoulder and think everyone with some degree of power is out to try and screw them. That's my read on it anyway.

Hopefully both such extreme stereotypes can see their extreme viewpoints.

Well sorry if this sounds bad, but if anyone buys a house on a main road with a bus route and stops, they have made their decision on that one!

Hopefully they will be well compo'd for the loss of their gardens for the good of the majority. We shall see though. Money talks and bullsh!t walks as they say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bray Head wrote: »
    This is consistent with all of the Bus Connects rhetoric. The 'An L focus of the network will remain, but the big missing links - radial routes - will be much improved.

I saw a map today with the Navan Road disturbingly close to the city centre and most of west and north west Dublin outside 60 minute from UCD. The 39A could do that with its eyes closed.

Clondalkin Village made it to James St within 45-60 minutes. The 13 can do that.

Too much emphasis on radial routes "to encourage people out of their car:rolleyes:", not the users now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dardania wrote: »
    Hopefully both such extreme stereotypes can see their extreme viewpoints.

When you're having to stereotype vast swathes of the population because they dont share your opinion chances are that they are not the ones with the extreme view and its time to pop the head out of the echo chamber for a bit.

Speaking of which most of the local feedback to the proposals and NTA roadshow that I've seen is along the lines of "I've to take two buses now? Shag that" This was always going to be the case given peoples previous experience with multiple bus journeys. I could have told the NTA this would happen for less than it costs to have Jarret Walker to answer an email and yet it comes as a suprise to them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bambi wrote: »
    Speaking of which most of the local feedback to the proposals and NTA roadshow that I've seen is along the lines of "I've to take two buses now? Shag that" This was always going to be the case given peoples previous experience with multiple bus journeys. I could have told the NTA this would happen for less than it costs to have Jarret Walker to answer an email and yet it comes as a suprise to them :confused:

What makes you say it comes as a surprise to the NTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Surely that's one of the main reasons they've set up this roadshow, because they knew there'd be a lot of backlash to changing buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

When you're having to stereotype vast swathes of the population because they dont share your opinion chances are that they are not the ones with the extreme view and its time to pop the head out of the echo chamber for a bit.

That's all well and good but do you have a better suggestion that factors limited buses, drivers, cash and most importantly city centre road space?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Qrt wrote: »
    In one of the tweets JW makes the point that no one has ever successfully mapped the current network because it is so complex!
    Not until they started this project.
    The point is about mapping them all together. Even with this project, routes in the city centre are aggregated.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Actually, and maybe this is a question for the Leap card thread, but what's the rules on this on the Luas - I frequently get on the Luas outside my office, take it down to Dawson or O'Connell, then I'm either picking up lunch to go or doing some shopping returns, and I know I will take only about 10 minutes, so I don't tag off. Get back on the Luas, and then tag off back at my office again. Obviously ticket inspectors will see everything in order, but is this allowed?
    If you are making a return journey, you are mean to pay two fares. If you are making a two-leg journey in one direction, you should be OK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What will happen now!

Oh I could go on.

Arnotts have proposed converting much of the carpark to a hotel so it won't be quite the issue it was before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I took ten large centres of employment around the city and looked for the increase in jobs accessible within 60 minutes. Table below.

For my sample the increase is between +1% and +94%, with a non-weighted average of +27%. The smallest improvements are in the city centre and the biggest improvements are in the outskirts. 

This is consistent with all of the Bus Connects rhetoric. The 'An Lár' focus of the network will remain, but the big missing links - radial routes - will be much improved.

It would be interesting to see how they have generated the figures for present journey times. For my area of blanch the distance you can currently cover in 30 minutes seems way to low unless they assume people leave randomly to stand at bus stops and therefore could be waiting 30 minutes at midday - in reality most people leave when they know a bus is due. Their current distance form Blanch village now shows you only getting as far as kinvara but in reality you can easily make it into town in 30 minutes from Blanchardstown village at that time - under the new system you will have made it out to the center and back to the blanchardstown bypass - possibly crossing the M50 but not reaching Morgan place (which is currently the next stop on the 39 route after Blanch Village, 3 mins) - this same anomaly will apply to all of Blench village, waterville, Roselawn, clonsilla road and most of corduff - 30 mins to get 100-300 meters)
    Does anyone know if they have published the methodology they used to generate these metrics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

AlanG wrote: »

It would be interesting to see how they have generated the figures for present journey times. For my area of blanch the distance you can currently cover in 30 minutes seems way to low unless they assume people leave randomly to stand at bus stops and therefore could be waiting 30 minutes at midday - in reality most people leave when they know a bus is due.  Their current distance form Blanch village now shows you only getting as far as kinvara but in reality you can easily make it into town in 30 minutes from Blanchardstown village at that time - under the new system you will have made it out to the center and back to the blanchardstown bypass - possibly crossing the M50 but not reaching Morgan place (which is currently the next stop on the 39 route after Blanch Village, 3 mins) - this same anomaly will apply to all of Blench village, waterville, Roselawn, clonsilla road and most of corduff - 30 mins to get 100-300 meters)
    Does anyone know if they have published the methodology they used to generate these metrics?
    If you click the More Info, they have this:

[font=arial, sans-serif]How is travel time calculated?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]This tool focuses on how far you could go assuming bus, rail and tram frequencies between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM on weekdays. Travel times including walking, waiting and time on public transport. Because one may need to travel at any time, the tool assumes waiting time is half of the time between buses. For example, if a bus comes every 20 minutes, the tool assumes you would typically wait 10 minutes.[/font]

Stephen15 wrote: »

in a nutshell

I don't think anyone is surprised by that reaction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They ran a random survey of bus users at the start of this process, one of the questions was along the lines of "Would you be okay with taking two buses, if it got you to your destination faster?" The response was about 80% positive.

Jarrett Walker has also said that the reaction in Dublin has been less hostile than in other cities which have implemented his proposals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

One of the questions that I've had about how the interchanges will work has been answered. I was worried that the bus stop on routes that cross each other (i.e. where one of the spines cross an N or O route, for example) would be spaced too far from the corner. Now we've got info on what kind of distance we'd be looking at.

Jarrett Walker has said that a distance of 120 metres from the corner is "way, way too far". Seeing as the NTA has listened to him on most of the plan so far, I'd be optimistic that they'll listen on this too.

The Dublin Inquirer has more here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Noel Rock (FG) has threatened “war” over bus connects in today’s Herald. Claims the Omni will lose out and that the Swords Road will turn into a “one way system”.

As dangerous and as wrong/dishonest as any of the NBRU or PBP TD’s, and what’s worse is that this fella is actually a government TD, a government who more or less oversee the NTA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

CatInABox wrote: »
    They ran a random survey of bus users at the start of this process, one of the questions was along the lines of "Would you be okay with taking two buses, if it got you to your destination faster?" The response was about 80% positive.

Jarrett Walker has also said that the reaction in Dublin has been less hostile than in other cities which have implemented his proposals.

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1238/chapter6initialpublicconsultation.pdf

12,769 responses to the initial survey

4. Willingness to Interchange
    The survey asked how people feel about three statements:

• “We can ask people to change vehicles (buses or trains) once during a trip, if those people reach their destination sooner.” 81% agreed.
    • “We can ask people to change vehicles once during a trip, if that creates a network that helps more people reach more destinations sooner.” 80% agreed.
    • “We can ask people to change vehicles once during a trip, if it helps make the network simple enough that people can remember it.” 68% agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Noel Rock (FG) has threatened “war” over bus connects in today’s Herald. Claims the Omni will lose out and that the Swords Road will turn into a “one way system”.

As dangerous and as wrong/dishonest as any of the NBRU or PBP TD’s, and what’s worse is that this fella is actually a government TD, a government who more or less oversee the NTA

He riled me me up something good when he was on the Last Word earlier in the summer complaining about the fact that they weren't consulted about the public consultation. Come on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

He riled me me up something good when he was on the Last Word earlier in the summer complaining about the fact that they weren't consulted about the public consultation. Come on ffs.

He did exactly the same with the Metro. Jumped on Na Fianna’s campaign even though he was asked not to. You’d think a government TD might have a good idea of upcoming government transport plans. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CatInABox wrote: »

And I posted this about a hundred pages back, you'd swear I had a crystal ball for this whole project. :D

It's not really a random survey when you're just sticking a questionnaire out there for anyone to answer. That's why polling companies exist and even then they still get it completely wrong.

Online survey wasn't it? If you believe online surveys Sinn Fein should have an overall majority in the Dail years ago. Most online surveys aren't worth the paper they're not written on. A lot of people will assume that connecting services mean you're going to be halfway home watching packed buses go past you. And they'll probably be right once the gloss wears off and the media gaze moves on

You'll find the same with the whole promise of local feeder routes, these have been promised in the past when services were streamlined and they turned out to be token efforts, that will undermine them going forward.

Orbital services are a good idea and long overdue

Off peak frequency on all routes will be a real barometer as to how serious they are about this redesign.

Advertisement