Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but Safari on iPhone *really* doesn't like whatever is on that page! Repeated page load, page resets because of multiple errors and then it crashed Safari completely.

It’s not just you, the pages will not load. There seems to be errors on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but Safari on iPhone *really* doesn't like whatever is on that page! Repeated page load, page resets because of multiple errors and then it crashed Safari completely.
    It's causing Opera on Windows to crash for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It takes a while to load in Chrome on Windows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Wouldn't load for me on mobile but got it working without issues when you switch your browser to desktop mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Good tool that. You look at the % increases of "how many more jobs can I reach" in the likes of Cabra, Finglas, Tallaght, Ballymun, etc. and you really have to wonder what the NBRU are really after by painting this as 'anti-working-class'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Something has been on my mind about the NBRU & DOL recently. When this plan was first published over the last few weeks. Both of these guys have been so rampant about how this plan would make things worse for the bus service in Dublin because it benefits people much less than using the old network. I would like to know why should it be described as making the service worse for people living around all the GDA when in fact it should the complete opposite of what this plan is trying to describe.

For myself & my mother living around Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock; having 2 direct bus routes to Dun Laoghaire is a huge bonus like us who are heavy users of PT. My own mother & I are not getting any younger either. My mum will be aged 55 in late 2019 once the proposed BusConnects routes get implemented in late 2019 or early 2020. I am not sure how the infrastructure will pan out seamlessly with this plan. If the routes get put out first; fair enough. That is not something that I will be disappointed with but the NTA here that implementation planning will happen within late 2018 & early 2019. We will have no concrete idea about how the plan will address the major roadworks in Dublin before the routes get the approval from the NTA to be changed. If the routes get changed first & the infrastructure; I will be happy with the prospect that CPO's will get done in a quicker rate of time rather than being slow & unrealistic. I will be aged 30 from early 2020; so for me getting a bus near between my supposed workplace & home will be really beneficial for me if I have to head out during the peak times of the day.

The NBRU really have to be careful with their words in a political sense that this plan will be an apparent hindrance to all PT users in Dublin. These guys need to realize now that the times in this country have radically changed for the better. People living in Dublin now don't want to be stick with a creaking transport system that promotes blatant stubbornness & sticking with past systems that will eventually fall apart after a long & sustained period of time. The NBRU's presence on twitter is not going to become game changing in any sense of the word because not everyone in this city would frequently care less about using social media on a day to day basis. The NBRU words on Twitter could become eventually ignored by these masses of people to the point that it just becomes an daily annoyance once the NTA's & Jarrett Walker's BusConnects plan gets implemented in full.

A system of the past should be left to the past & be replaced to make it a whole lot better. What we have now is something that is not like that at all. It's basically a system that is a shadow of it's former shelf. It should eventually be largely forgotten about from an operational sense because if we ever try to go back to that system in a few years time; it won't be doable under any stretch of the imagination. If people in Dublin heard in the future that going back to the old system would be it's later intention from the NTA. They will not want it anymore & and will stick with a more modern system to try & replace the original system implemented under BusConnects. They also have to remember that one system is not going to change because it is being influenced by the 10 minute DART service, the Luas CC, DU & the proposed Metrolink from Sandyford to Swords. If bus passengers in Dublin want to see & realize the full benefits of this plan; they should stick with it & put up with it.

They have to remember that other PT projects in Dublin years from now will have to cater for more demand while it's being fed to or from the bus network. Having other advanced PT systems in place with a rather obscure & unreliable bus service to match is not an attractive feature to use later on in life. People who carry on doing their business in Dublin in later years will eventually be fed up of it & will want it to change for the better. The NBRU will have realize this in their heads in that this place is not like the 1900's at all. It's now 2018. If people want change to improve their quality of life; they should be entitled to ask someone about it nicely without being told no like a bold child. Sticking with that rigid mentality is such a old fashioned restrictive form of nonsense & people would be right to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

4 locations all with 400m of each other on the same road give hugely different results, I'd question the accuracy of that map.

457681.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

4 locations all with 400m of each other on the same road give hugely different results, I'd question the accuracy of that map.

I'll give a stab at explaining the differences - I think it's all about proximity to more routes. In 30 minutes you can't do much walking, so point 3 wins because it is closer (actually seems to be dead on) a stop for a route, whereas the other 3 points have a 1 minute walk to get there. That isn't much, but if you compare the 30 minute isochrones, you'll see they're just touching central Dun Laoghaire, so an extra 1 minute is going to make a difference when you have a hard cut-off to your coverage area.

For the 45 minute isochrones, this flips around a bit, because point 3 is still closer to the stop for that one route, but point 4 is closer in walking distance to other routes on the N11, which allows someone there to get slightly closer into the city centre, which is enough to boost the job numbers quite a bit (point 4 reaches RTE at Mount Merrion, while point 3 just falls short, for example).

There's a serious complexity in the frequency of different routes, where stops are, walking times, transfer times, connecting modes, etc. That'll account for most of these differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

After I finished my previous post; I had a look at the new local area brochures for Dublin south and the new interactive map. They look really good and show a lot of clear information after they take a while to load up on the browser.

EDIT: Jarrett Walker has a blog post up on his website about the new Dublin Isochrone interactive map via his twitter.

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1026603999246483456

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

My personal feelings on the changes in my area would be somewhat positive. I live in Cabinteely and the main bus routes I would use are the 63 for local trips to DL and the 145 for trips into town or local trips to Stillorgan, UCD or Donnybrook. I also use the 46a, the 75, the Luas and the DART from time to time.

The proposed 226 is a good route and too some degree it resembles the old 113 bus which used to run as a Dart feeder parallel to the 45 along Clonkeen Road, Deansgrange as far as Blackrock DART station. It looks like an improvement on the current 84/a to serve the areas between Cornelscourt and Blackrock. So I guess it adds an additional connection for me.

I think the 227 should go to DL and not Blackrock which would continue to resemble the current 63 which I use if there's one coming and the route seems to fairly popular with people going to Dun Laoghaire. The proposed 229 in my opinion would be better off if it was sent to Balckrock and not DL in my opinion. The 227 appears to a very convoluted route to Blackrock serving Cabinteely Village, Johnstown Road, Pottery Road, Abbey Road, The new link road and Carysfort Avenue. I can't see it being all that popular.

The proposed changes also propose a 15 minute frequency on Cornelscourt Hill through the 226 and 227 routes which in my opinion seems like an overkill.

Another thing which I find a little odd is Monkstown Farm is only getting the 229 an hourly service to DL I can't see that going down too well with the residents considering the way they were fuming when the 46a which was every 10 mins was rightly removed and replaced by the 63 with a more modest 30 minute frequency and 45 minute frequency in the evenings and weekends they still moan about it today.

Also all the 222 which replaces the 7 between DL and Brides Glen is proposed to run with all journies on the Sallyglen which as we may remember caused uproar which lead to the 7 being divided between 7 and 7a. Sallynoggin will only have the 211 which replaces the 45a and Loughlinstown Park will only have the 229 which replaces the 111.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Interactive map works fine for me on safari on macOS. No joy on a mobile.

Looking at the map, i can’t seem to see how many interchanges are necessary for each situation eg how far can I get without changing in th before and after situations, in a fixed time. That would be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

I can see why they were slow to release the map. 25% increase in journey time. Are the timings based on best/worst case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My journey to cc...which was about 15 minutes on the 79-79a.....will now take me between 30-45 minutes according to that map...terrific!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

howiya wrote: »
    I can see why they were slow to release the map. 25% increase in journey time. Are the timings based on best/worst case scenario?

Isochrones were published for dozens of popular locations with the original report.

25% increase in journey time from where to where? Based on what? What times are you comparing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't think the speeds are right. It says I can't get from Stoneybatter to Harcourt street within a half an hour, a mere 4km distance which I cycle within 20 mins at present. Current PT journey would be 40 minutes, or roughly equivalent to walking but I had assumed this situation would improve. It also says that I could not make it to the airport within 45 minutes, a dismal failure considering you could cycle the 10km to the airport in that time and not need to go into the city centre.

gmisk wrote: »
    My journey to cc...which was about 15 minutes on the 79-79a.....will now take me between 30-45 minutes according to that map...terrific!

15 mins including walk to bus stop, average wait at the bus stop and bus journey? At of

Because that's what that map is showing.

If you decided to go to the city centre right now, will you be in the city centre in 15 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

cgcsb wrote: »
    I don't think the speeds are right. It says I can't get from Stoneybatter to Harcourt street within a half an hour, a mere 4km distance which I cycle within 20 mins at present. Current PT journey would be 40 minutes, or roughly equivalent to walking but I had assumed this situation would improve.

One slight bit of confusion is that the the isochone maps include wait times.

The local brochures they've added are very useful and hopefully will answer a lot of people's concerns. The interactive map is still a bit too steeped in having knowledge of what's being proposed.

Peregrine wrote: »
    15 mins including walk to bus stop, average wait at the bus stop and bus journey? At of

Because that's what that map is showing.

If you decided to go to the city centre right now, will you be in the city centre in 15 minutes?
    Yes, I have a bus stop for 79/79a literally about 25 metres from the door of the house (I time on app and leave at 2 minutes). Obviously it depends on time of day but about this time yes would take me 15 minutes....according to that this will now take me 30-45 minutes.

Yes, I have a bus stop for 79/79a literally about 25 metres from the door of the house (I time on app and leave at 2 minutes). Obviously it depends on time of day but about this time yes would take me 15 minutes....according to that this will now take me 30-45 minutes.

The map still includes wait time. Just because you timed the bus doesn't mean you can ignore it from your calculation.

According to the map, how long does it take you right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As sharper says the map is showing a particular thing

it does not represent what you portray. It includes an average distance to a stop and an average waiting time

the actual Bus is not going to take 2-3 times the time to make the same journey

• Advertisement

Isochrones were published for dozens of popular locations with the original report.

25% increase in journey time from where to where? Based on what? What times are you comparing?

I’m comparing the present door to door time of approx 36 minutes to the individual isochrone showing this will be at the very edge of the 45 minute isochrone.

Beaumont to IFSC

Riskymove wrote: »
    As sharper says the map is showing a particular thing

it does not represent what you portray. It includes an average distance to a stop and an average waiting time

the actual Bus is not going to take 2-3 times the time to make the same journey

But any sensible person when calculating their commute would have already factored this in?? My own comparisons are based on door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oddly enough, despite the apparent sterling efforts to make it happen Jarret was able to categorically predict that a virtual route planner would not be available before the consultations ended. I suspect that's got more to do with message management than any lack of time or resource.

Also if the NTA had a whitter of sense they'd be telling JWA to drop the usefulness sales pitch, it smacks of wheezes like "New and improved" "Now with added nutrients".

But any sensible person when calculating their commute would have already factored this in?? My own comparisons are based on door to door.

Think of the difference between the way people use the LUAS and the way they use Dublin Bus.

With the LUAS the frequency is high enough you just walk to a stop and for the next tram. You likely don't conern yourself with the timetable.

With Dublin Bus ideally you need to be aware of the timetable, the current values in the real time tracker and your own knowledge of accurate that is given the current day/time/season/weather. Then you can plan to be at a stop without waiting too long.

Public transport is more useful to more people when it works like the LUAS. They want people to be able to go a stop without thinking too much about when the next bus is. They want people to be able to easily predict where they will get to from there and how they get to their actual destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

paying closer attention it seems that I can walk outside my 30 minute window in less than 30 minutes, surely something not right. If I but the pin at the junction of Blackhorse avenue and North Circular road, the edge of my 30 minute commute is up Steven's lane, by heuston station, a 20 minute walk and along the proposed O bus route. If I wait the full 10 minute gap for the O bus to turn up, how is it that the bus will then take a full 20 minutes to complete the 3km distance. There must be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

cgcsb wrote: »
    paying closer attention it seems that I can walk outside my 30 minute window in less than 30 minutes, surely something not right.

I am the same, I think its saying that you get about 3 kilometers in 30 minutes :eek::eek:

Also is the journey time from Swords (one of the spines) to town really expected to be 60 minutes??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

sharper wrote: »
    Think of the difference between the way people use the LUAS and the way they use Dublin Bus.

With the LUAS the frequency is high enough you just walk to a stop and for the next tram. You likely don't conern yourself with the timetable.

With Dublin Bus ideally you need to be aware of the timetable, the current values in the real time tracker and your own knowledge of accurate that is given the current day/time/season/weather. Then you can plan to be at a stop without waiting too long.

Public transport is more useful to more people when it works like the LUAS. They want people to be able to go a stop without thinking too much about when the next bus is. They want people to be able to easily predict where they will get to from there and how they get to their actual destination.

Its more useful yes, but knowledge and a shorter time is still better for most

To take the way to work as an example, people get up based on when they are getting transport to work and base things around that.

I would rather do that then have a bus every 10 minutes that takes twice as long to get to a destination

Bambi wrote: »
    Also if the NTA had a whitter of sense they'd be telling JWA to drop the usefulness sales pitch, it smacks of wheezes like "New and improved" "Now with added nutrients".

I've lost track of what Jarret Walker is being criticised for this time - is for being too technical and not selling the plan or selling the plan and not sticking purely to the facts?

The map still includes wait time. Just because you timed the bus doesn't mean you can ignore it from your calculation.

According to the map, how long does it take you right now?

If I run via google maps right now it is 21 mins (next available bus).

With that map at the very edge...it gets me to Thomas street in 30 minutes....so still not in city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If I run via google maps right now it is 21 mins (next available bus).

With that map at the very edge...it gets me to Thomas street in 30 minutes....so still not in city centre

trying to compare a specific journey to a map based on averages is not going to get the same result

Advertisement