Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to stop smoking, anyone want to join me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

I`m off the cigs nearly 3 months now (hard to believe) and for the most part have been doing fine, cravings had all but vanished,.... until recently that is.
    A few of the old cravings have re-surfaced again recently for some unknown reason but Im determined not to slip up. This is a relativly new thing as up until last week I was absolutly grand. Im hoping it will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I quit smoking new years eve with the help of the Allen Carr book. Cravings have gone since day 4.

I'm afraid to go out for a few drinks this weekend in case I slip after ive had a few drinks most my friends smoke and I will end up in the smoking areas. Anybody have advice on how long you should wait to go out and have a few drinks after quitting?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I kinda went out 2 weeks later. Didn't smoke. Are all your friends smokers? It'll probably be a cold weekend, so I'd say they won't be out there all night. You'll be grand, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

pingu_girl wrote: »
    I quit smoking new years eve with the help of the Allen Carr book. Cravings have gone since day 4.

I'm afraid to go out for a few drinks this weekend in case I slip after ive had a few drinks most my friends smoke and I will end up in the smoking areas. Anybody have advice on how long you should wait to go out and have a few drinks after quitting?

I didn't change anything about my social life when i quitted, but for the first few months i stuck close to my boyf (very anti smoking) and another friend who would have killed me if i did. eventually you just break the habit and notice that all your friends stink when they come back in! Good luck, keep up the will power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 st0ned z0mbie

I quit smoking on the 2nd of this month, the cravings are getting to me but i feel i can make it through it. just a quick question, im 16 is it legal for me to buy patches/gum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

but taking it one day at a time....

off since dec 24th or so... went patches for a week which left me with f--ked up hiroshima lesions but fading now at last. Carry a patch just in case..i call it my methodone.

Take it one Day at a Time.

You quit 2 weeks, 4 days, 2 minutes & 9 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 180 cigs, saved EUR 68 and added 15.00 hours to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

I've been smoking since I was 16. Since I've started university I'm smoking more heavily now and I'm seriously considering giving up at this stage. Used to take a bit of a cavalier attitude to it but the cost of it is ridiculous. By the way are the nicotinepatches better than the gum? How long would you be on the patches or gum for? Should you talk to a doctor first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

Hi all,
    Congrats to everyone who are still off the cigs.
    I smoked my last cig last night and am on the patches today.
    I'm eating all around me, got a constant fuzzy feeling in my head, but hopefully this time I'll do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭McCABE1

I'm off the cigarettes since last Wednesday, not finding it too bad yet but I know its the calm before the storm. Planning on not drinking for the entire month of Jan, even then that wont be enough. I know the second that I get a little tanked up, my resolve will weaken !!
    I might go on the patches if I fail cold turkey, tried the gum before but found it horrible, it was like chewing an ash tray!! Discusting.
    I know nobody wants to hear this but aren't you depressed to be off them, I mean I love smoking, love it, love it, love it !! I love being a smoker, the cigarette after dinner, the one when you're just that little bit drunk on a night out, I could go on....I've been smoking though for ten years and am aware of the serious harm so am giving up cause I know I have to, not really cause I want to. It sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

I'm quitting next Saturday, again. Not sure how many times I've been off them for different lengths of time but it's a lot. I'm in my mid thirties, been smoking since my teens. I've used a lot of different things to kickstart the quitting, then haven't smoked for up to three months at a time. I think that posting to and reading this thread will be a positive step towards getting off them completely, for good.

My biggest problem has been forgetting over time all of the reasons that made me quit in the first (and second, third and so on) place. That, coupled with a few pints and the mistaken belief that I'll smoke tonight and have no problems has been nicotine quicksand for me, and for lots of others, I know.

So, yellow fingers crossed for Saturday. Going to smoke myself stupid till then to reinforce the hatred for the fags that I've managed to develop again; then quit. I hope that in six months time and from then on I will be a non-smoker. I would like to say ex-smoker but I think that's maybe pushing it a bit.

Anyway, fair play to all who have kicked the habit, good luck to all who are quitting or thinking of it and come on Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

phew..... those space ships in Roscommon, that was me returning. Kinda fell off the wagon a bit, and I was doing soooo well, but hell whata ya goen to do.... I'm very envious of ye who stayed clean but such is life, I'm off em again and its great to be able to breathe freely, the sports are going well again, some slow down while i was puffing the fags, so all good. well done every one....:D

Good stuff whacker, glad you're back. Still off them myself. Had to start playing badminton and running to keep the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

hey all just seen this thread as i was scouring the net for help....decided to give up my 20 a day habit yesterday...cold turkey...last night was awful felt dizzy went to bed early just so i wouldnt jump in the car and go buy fags...today not so bad but the cravings are crap at 2 pm ill be a full day nicotine free...best of luck to all...ill keep ye updated

Good work man, welcome aboard. Be careful of those aliens, I thought they smoked whacker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Hey guys great thread, I've decided I need to quit again too - I quit a couple of years ago (using Allen Carr's book) and lasted nearly a whole year before I fell into the stupid trap of "I can have one or two when I'm out and be grand" trap!! I still don't smoke in work at all and only smoke about 3 or 4 in the evenings, however, I also occasionnally partake in a little of the wacky-backy which doesn't help... :o

I also smoke like a chimney when drinking of course!

In a moment of madness a few weeks ago I signed up to do the Four Peaks Challenge (http://www.focusireland.ie/htm/fundraising/challenges/fourpeaks/index.htm) and have been going to the gym and walking more and more to start the training. This week I've really started to notice an ache in my lungs after exercising so I think it's time to just cut the cord altogether and get rid of the smoking once and for all. I always said I wanted to be fit and healthy by the time I'm 30 (:eek:), which is next year, so gotta just bite the bullet and do it!! Think I'll go for it once and for all next week, I had decided to do monthly resolutions instead of new year resolutions anyway, so this can be my March one.

Fair play to everyone who's lasted off them here, you're all an inspiration to the rest of us go for it and keep trying to escape the nicotine monster! :D

• Advertisement

That's class, best of luck with the peaks challange wobbles. I reckon that's a bit of a mighty step for me, although the exercise I'm doing at the moment has had some serious positive effects. Happy days. Let us know how you get on.

Whacker, you still about? No sign of UFO's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

hey lads just said id guve ye an update ,gave up cold turkey last monday week ...still havent had a fag....will be a fortnight next monday reading the alan carr book its helpful allright ...as for the social end went out last weekend with my friends most of whom smoke...was crappy enough at the time but i felt great the morning after that id been out and not smoked...the biggest thing i find is distracting myself when i get a longing ..after meals is the worst ..but hangin in there!!best of luck to everyone will keep ye posted :)

Hi T! You quit 1 week, 5 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes & 6 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 297 cigs, saved EUR 127 and added 1.03 days to your life

I feel great that i've added 1.03 dayz to my life but REALLY:mad::mad: pissed off that i:mad: didn't stay off them earlier:mad:. Thats the main reason I think I'll do it this time. When I get a craving I get angry that i 'want' to smoke. This is prob my 4th serious attempt at giving them up and I'm kinda used to the withdrawal symptoms at this stage. I'm used to the feeling and know that it'll go away and like someone annoying sitting beside you in the bus, soon they'll piss off and leave you in peace........ So if your new to stopping or have fallen off the wagon, fear not, dust yourself off and do it again (thats what I'm telling myself anyway)
    like they say 'Ones too many, a thousand arn't enough'

'Sup Beertons? How long you off them now?:cool:

Mid October man, and still going strong. How about you? No UFO's about, are there?

• Advertisement

aliens_for_peace.png

You wouldn't believe....

Oct eh, pretty impressive. I'm getting there slowly but I'm feeling good about it I must admit.
    I went off trak this time and even did some reading around people who are trying to give up drink and 'hard' drugs. Really amazing how close the experences are between giving up the cigs and other drugs. It really brings home that old Nic is a real drug, scary.
    Good to see so many people wanting to stop smoking, I reckon we should organise the ex-smoker olympics... hmm
    nobody_smokes_here.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

Keep it up..
    I've never felt so healthy and with so much more engery...it really is so worth it... I've tired before and failed because like most felt i can have just one with a drink... no such thing... I'll never allow myself to be under control of fags... I love how i feel now and feel free from them.. i'm always aware of the cravings.. but i just have to remind myself that a smoke won't change the way i feel or the surroundings i find myself !! like someone said to me before.. imagine 2 people one a smoker.. when out and found the tyres on their car flat... whats the first thing the smoker does ??? of course lights up... and what happens.... is the typre fixed.. no.. it really is gettn back control of your mind...

Good luck everyone x you can do it

YES WE CAN :):):)

Hi T! You quit 3 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes & 7 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 637 cigs, saved EUR 271 and added 2.21 days to your life
    Well said Mia, couldn't have put it better myself!!!
    ]
    REMEMBER NO SUCH THING AS JUST ONE CIG... SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

fag1.jpg31208_GCM_FEA_smoking2_120308.jpg

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 1 day, 7 hours, 26 minutes & 27 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 703 cigs, saved EUR 299 and added 2.44 days to your life.

Howdy everyone! Just thought I'd pass on the good news that I ran the Ballycotton 10 mile yesterday and did it sub 100 minutes:D

Its only cos I stopped smoking...

peyiy_delighted.jpg

Congrats, that's class. I'm going to start doing hill running, the leinster league. I thought I was mad, haven't done anything like 10 miles yet.

to be honest neither had I, goes to show how bad the smokes are for ya.....

x1prBCtpy9yqTpC2JhyrFL7je_8Un79HOprteEtuGI7cVCIYhI4xGe0mEq85Q4W7viEJg_Q5K3ik7H98ogr_3UJ9OBzPMSV4Cw2uUgJ3oKiOB6q-kOA2nJW4A

DO IT BEERTONS!!!!

I'm getting there. No doubt there'll be a few from here doing the hill running. I'll see about joining the Boards AC, don't want to drag down their finishing positions though.

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 5 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes & 8 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 999 cigs, saved EUR 425 and added 3.47 days to your life.

999 cigs unsmoked mad....

hey beer, I have my name in the pot for boards ac but I'm unsure if I'm gonna sign up...you know the way all talk etc.

I've been getting mad cravings of late, the deep empty chest feeling, V annoying:mad: I havnt done any excercise since last weekend so I'm blaming that. Life is a bit busy at the mo so perhaps joining Boards AC may be a good solution.... :confused::confused:

How are you getting on with the whole thing? still free from the weed?

'aight, still free of the weed, per say. The cravings will pass man, they always do. Don't give in, you were my wing man the end of last year, then bailed. If the running thing doesn't suit, there's probably a bike gang out your way. You surely have saved enough for a bike now you're off them again?

• Advertisement

I dont know if I have... allow me to check..

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 5 days, 11 hours, 53 minutes & 19 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,004 cigs, saved EUR 427 and added 3.49 days to your life.

Ohh, perhaps I have.

Only trouble is that I own a bike already......

cartoon_bike1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Good idea! It helped me a lot. Quitting smoking is one of the best things I did!

Well whacker, it's a start!

Hello happy09, what helped you give them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Hi All,

Had my last ciggie last Saturday evening and haven't smoked since. I'm using patches to take the edge of it and I'm doing reasonably well so far.
    Any words of support welcome!!!

Have been a smoker for over 20 years. The longest i have been off them was 6 months back in 2004 I think. Never been an extremely heavy smoker, 10 a day would normally do me.

I'll be 40 next month and as live starts at 40;) I would like to start it smoke free:D

Cheers all,

BL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

beertons wrote: »
    Well whacker, it's a start!

Hello happy09, what helped you give them up?

I just realised that enough is enough. Smelling bad all the time, teeth gums bleeding ...all my life revolved around smoking... Smoke straight away after waking up,smoke on job breaks, smoke before going to sleep....

As well the main thing which helped me give up - is to give up for my partner (he hates smokes...I can't believe he was so patient with me).

Wishing you good luck! My sister gave up smoking after reading Alan Carr's book "How to stop smoking".

Hey biglad, welcome and well done, wanna be smoke free for 40? only one person can do it, you have known him all your life and he is the only one you can coun t on... yes its jesus, wait no its not, its you:D

these are two good sites, use them and all will be easier...

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

http://whyquit.com/

keep in touch and let us know how your getting on!!

Beer thanks for that, LOL stuff... all the way this time, smoke free thats me
    no-smoking.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Hello all,

Stopped the fags on Monday 2nd March. Was on 20 a day for over 25 years. So far, so good, but after falling off the wagon one or twice before, I'll go "one day at a time, sweet jebus" :)

Al.

Couple of newbies, welcome. Good luck with the first step. Use this as a diary thingy and let us know how you're doing. We know how hard it is, all been there, and tried giving up loads of times. I'm 5 months off them, but still tell people I'm trying to give them up. I'll always be trying. Some people have actually said to me that they couldn't imagine me holding a ciggy anymore. And they're smokers!

Best of luck lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I'd given up since october and smoked tonight :( **** I feel terrible :(

• Advertisement

I feel for you, had a bad weekend of cravings, didn’t smoke but must admit came close. When you get up this morning your back in the saddle, do something positive today that you wouldn’t do otherwise, big breakfast, long walk, ring your mum/dad. Mark the event and move on. It only really matters if you do it again!!! Sneaking in an evening of smoking happens, what makes it a relapse is if you continue to smoke. You will probably get fresh cravings again so take’m on the chin for what they are, the nicotine addiction dying. Today is the same as yesterday, you are still an ex smoker. If it means going off the booze for a bit until your strady on your feet again so be it Its worth it!

Hello all,

Stopped the fags on Monday 2nd March. Was on 20 a day for over 25 years. So far, so good, but after falling off the wagon one or twice before, I'll go "one day at a time, sweet jebus" :)

Al.

Al you still about? how are you getting on?

praise-jebus.jpg

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 1 week, 3 days, 6 hours, 26 minutes & 51 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,148 cigs, saved EUR 476 and added 3.99 days to your life
    Phew.... I survived Paddys, Monday night was hard, Every time i walked out of a pub I'd walk into a cloud of smoke and with a few drinks in me it was starting to get to me. By the end of the night there were party and 'back to mine' offers flowing about but somehow managed to get back to my own bed smoke free... I remember going to bed thinking 'ah I could have had a drag, sure I'd have been fine!' the first thought I had next morning was how glad I was for not smoking… dodged that bullet.

I cant really take credit for my success though, my girlfriend was out and there was no convincing her to gimme a drag before bed (she still smokes but only one or two a day at the mo). So I went down hill mountain biking yesterday. AMAZING, I would recommend it to anyone, Ive been cycling all my life but this was my first time on a proper down hill trail…. 10 outa 10. It as dangerous as smoking but faster…

Check out these clips, happy days

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=ballyhoura&aq=f[/FONT]

How did ye all get on? Any stories???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hi all.

I have been off the smokes for just over a day and it was completely unplanned.

I was very hungover yesterday and couldn't smoke, and now I haven't smoked since because I feel quite good and pure.

I'm afraid though because it's unplanned that I'll fall back off the wagon. It's like if I think too much about it I will smoke. I'm not having any major cravings but my mind keeps drifting towards having a cig.

Does anyone have any tips for just not thinking about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hi folks,

This is day one for me! I gave to in August and stayed off them for 10 weeks. For the first 2 weeks I used patches and then I just went without them and I was fine. Then a lot of very stressful events happened at once and I went back on them. So it took me this long to get the will-power together. As far as ways to keep your mind off smoking, a craving only lasts 15 mins, so drink a nice cold glass of water, or have a cup of tea. I also recommend exercising in the evenings as you'll feel so good after your bit of exercise that it'll feel like a pity to ruin it by smoking after.

I really am hoping to suceed but i feel fairly shaky on the will power already!

Best of luck to everyone who is trying!!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Whacker,

still here mate, still off the weed too! Two weeks & one day, yay!
    125 yo-yo's i mo phoca :D:D

It's not easy though. Went for a drink Sunday night with Mrs Alzar, flew a bit close to the edge at times but made it home smoke free.

Finding today quite tough too, but I have to admit, even typing this is helping, weird huh!

Boss about :eek:

Later
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Hi All,

after about twenty attempts I am giving up smoking next sunday. I have an exam on saturday and then going out for a couple of drinks after so Sunday is my start date.

I have previously tried Champix but due to stomach problems i had to give them up as they made me so sick. My OH tried them, took the full 12 week course and has not smoked in almost a year. after giving up the Champix i did Hypnotheraphy. total disaster.

I am 29 and have smoked since i was 12 (giving up for 1.5 years inbetween). I am sick to death of smoking. I really really want to give up now but I find it so hard as I don't have the best willpower in the world. I find that when i drink the craving for a ciggie is so bad that generally i will rape anyone near me for a smoke...

SO do I go cold turkey or should i do/take something?? have heard about Alan Carr book - is this any good? i live with my other half so i don't live with any smokers and i think this will help as this is the first time i have been living in a smoke-free home. I am the only smoker at work. I really have no excuse this time.

any advice from those who have given up? i want to be smoke free by my 30th birthday and never smoke again. I am sick of making up excuses for smoking and sick of coughing/spluttering.

advice appreciated!

BTW well done to all who have given up, have read through your posts!

This is what I did. It may not work for everyone, but it may give you an idea. I haven't had a coffee since october, I associate coffee with cigs. I tried 1 coffee, and didn't like it, so just gave up. So 2 things are giving you the withdrawl symptoms. Always blame the coffee withdrawl, the ciggy one is easy.

You always make free time to smoke, so use up all your free time. Clean, cook, wash, iron, look for something that was bothering you. Go for a walk, take up a hobby that's indoors and the new people you meet there are fit and generally don't smoke. Go for long walks, get all that fresh air(in the country if possible) into your lungs. Breathe deep, it's lovely.

I have not smoked since mid october, since I moved to our new house. It's been as tough for me as it will be for you. I've gone out on the lash, gotten ballubas once or twice and still woke up the next day smelling of beer only. Most of my friends smoke, and know my stance on smoking now. It's all down to your will. You'll always be giving up, I know I'm still not off them fully.

My €0.02.

Best of luck guys.

OK bit of a rant coming. I’m just after a craving filled few days so this is the pressure release…anyway well said Beer, I am a repeat offender. Off and on but this time I'm feeling much better about it simply coz not only do I really not want to smoke any more, this time I REALLY want to stop! I was ready for the withdrawals and the cravings (mind you its still hard when I'm boozing) but by and large I accepted the cravings and accepted the positive feeling after the few minutes they lasted. This time instead of saying 'ok, that craving is gone, oh god here comes another one’ I made a conscious decision to say ‘well done me!, that was hard but I did well, I didn’t smoke!!!.... (etc etc)
    Another tip is that I used to use a timer

http://www.online-stopwatch.com

to give myself perspective on how long the cravings actually lasted. This stops you from thinking that you have been dying for a smoke ALL DAY when you actually know you had 7 cravings and the longest one was 3 minutes long (that REALLY helped me)

As Beertons said 2 key words outdoor and hobby, for me it was cycling, running, surfing, footie etc, I have all my mates pestered into joining me but the secretly love it… make sure its something you enjoy though, don’t take up something you find boring…

The one big change I made this time around was that for two weeks I allowed myself anything I wanted. I could do or have anything I wanted BUT smoke. If I wanted to eat a whole tub of Ben & Jerrys so be it, 2 steaks for dinner no bother, a fry on a Wednesday morning? Yep, take away two nights running? Why not?
    I was saving over €8 a day by not smoking so this cost very little but defiantly got me over the notion I was sacrificing anything, I was spoiling myself and getting healthier, sure I put on a stone but now that I am enjoying exercise like an 18 year old again losing it is not only easier but quite enjoyable too.
    So allowing myself anything I wanted but a smoke worked a treat for me.

As always check out other threads, READ ALAN CARR, yes its repetitive, yes he is annoying but if your preparing to go into withdrawal from one of the most addictive drugs known to man maybe you need to get annoyed, besides the man knew what he was talking about. You will have to tweak his theory to suit but its defiantly an asset

Oh yea there is the slight point about admitting that you are a drug addict and you should change your vocabulary to match, your not ‘giving up smoking (the warm friendly buddies you’ve grown to love) your Just not going to ingest nicotine’ one of the most deadliest poisons known to man which is a drug, which you are addicted to…. Other that that, its all cool!
    fonzie.jpg

So keep it up! Check out these web sites and keep posting!!!

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php[/FONT]

http://whyquit.com

ENJOY

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, 39 minutes & 33 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,299 cigs, saved EUR 539 and added 4.51 days to your life.

Hello to all

I'm still here smoke free how are ye doing

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, 6 minutes & 58 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,330 cigs, saved EUR 552 and added 4.62 days to your life.

Hows everyone getting on? there seems to be an eriee silence here!!! ANYONE OUT THERE????shout.jpg

Well I back on track, no more wild cravings (for the time being anyway) so I'm chuffed with that. 6 weeks since I had a smoke, mad. It feels like a lot longer, its great. My fittness is returning, taste is back and i when wake in the morning there is no cough, wheeze or phelm. The most evident thing though is that I have given myself a payrise of nearly €100 a week which is nice:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement