Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BOARDS.ie Q&A] Put your questions to dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Options
  • 26-10-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hey there folks. Recognise these two gents?

DLSVSP_06_0075%20%281%29.jpg

That is Dan and Pip from dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip and they're coming to Ireland soon. Their Facebook page is here.

We've arranged an exclusive Boards.ie Q&A for them so any questions you have for them, please put them below.

Details of their tour below:

DAN LE SAC Vs SCROOBIUS PIP

NEW ALBUM – THE LOGIC OF CHANCE OUT NOW ON SUNDAY BEST

*Live performances in Ireland*

Dublin - The Workman's Club, 4th and 5th (sold out) November
    Cork - Cypress Avenue, 6th November
    Galway - Kellys, 7th November

“They have crafted the most thoughtful, fresh and rollicking album you’re likely to hear this year. At the forefront of a new, urgent, hip-hop.” – The Independent

“Witty, fearless and original” – **** Mojo

“Sharp, literate and philosophically wide-ranging, Pip’s rhymes brim with warm and witty insights…” – Time Out

“Invention, intelligence and – crucially – passion” – **** DJ

A beat heavy lit-pop tour de force, The Logic Of Chance is the eagerly anticipated second album from dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip.

With the free-flowing rhyme’n’bass opener Sick Tonight, old school dancefloor hip-hop of The Beat and the euphoric Italo-disco of Get Better, le sac Vs Pip have delivered a second album of beat led polemics; instantly danceable, yet increasingly vital, The Logic Of Chance is a great leap forward for alternative conscious pop.

With a microscope on violent crime stats (Great Britain), a declaration on the individuals role in a Democracy (Stake A Claim) and the perils of late night rail travel (Last Train Home), there is little slight of hand or ironic shape pulling here; Scroobius Pip delivers direct and true on the state of the nation, while dan le sac delivers his most advanced and eclectic soundtrack yet.

Despite growing up in the same Essex village Stanford Le Hope, the pair’s paths had barely crossed before they shared a Christmas season working at the Lakeside branch of HMV.

After a brief creative courtship – sharing Myspace links and remixes – their very first collaboration struck gold. Hot off the CDR burner, their first song Thou Shalt Always Kill was sent to XFM’s John Kennedy in demo form and within 24 hours Kennedy had played the track on his show.

Pip swiftly set up a myspace page with their solitary track… “Suddenly it went crazy – everyone was emailing the track to other people, so the only thing to do was borrow £200 and make a video.”

That video has now chalked up 2.5million views on youtube and the single’s hastily arranged release on Lex cracked the Top 40.

Shunning the inevitable major label overtures, Messrs le sac and Pip opted to sign to Rob da Bank’s Sunday Best label, ensuring that their critically acclaimed debut album became one of the leading independent releases of 2008.

Released in May ’08, Angles arrived just twelve months after the first fruits of their partnership had hit the airwaves. The duo’s welcome but unexpected rise, saw them working on tracks for their debut in the back of Pip’s Toyota Space Wagon, in between the growing list of festival, TV and radio engagements.

That this ad-hoc germination should produce such a cohesive and thought provoking work, is testament to dan le sac’s production work and the enduring appeal of Pip’s word play.

Angles entered the Top 30 and in the subsequent 18 months, the duo has toured Europe and the US to an expanding live following. Visually and musically dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip defy any prefab industry model, their towering structures of Casio enthused electro-hip-pop often cutting against the conventions of radio programming.

And yet they have become airwave and chart regulars, producing the salient singles Beat That My Heart Skipped, Look For The Woman and the Radiohead sampling A Letter From God To Man.

Stick your questions below and if we can ask them, we'll ask them!

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Q: Should beards be given tax breaks? As an ugly bloke with a beard, I feel I'm providing a valuable public service by covering up parts of my face. What rate sounds like a fair discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

I take issue with your claim "The next big thing.. just a band" - The Next Big Thing was amongst other things a below-average film, a radio series, a tv series and a Vince Gill album...

Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - just a band

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Why no Limerick date this time? New promoter? What has he against Limerick, ye sold out the biggest venue last time. Gutted we won't see ye again for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Any plans to play in Derry again? Had a great night last time, and it's easier than travelling 5hrs to Galway.

/still going to travel 5hrs to Galway on the 7th...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Which one of you could give Darragh a slap and tell him to hurry up with the Keith Barry Q+A, its been months and months! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why did you redo the vocals on the Angles tracks? I bought the album but on my iPod I've replaced the tracks with the prerelease versions because they feel like the real ones.

Also, have you had any particularly negative reactions from the UK hip hop/grime scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

In the "just a band" part of 'Thou Shalt Always Kill' were the bands you name bands you particularly liked or disliked or were you just going for recognisable names?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What's more important the melody or the message?

Apart from Reprise did you borrow any other Kate Bush melodies? What does Kate think of the track? (i'm pretty sure she's heard it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've got a few here.

I'm glad to see that Pip seems to use Twitter a fair amount. It's not too often you see artists talking freely away with their fans. Chamillionaire, for example, is constantly on Twitter and he also travels to tech conferences speaking about the benefits of social networking and how artists are unwilling to embrace it as a platform to appeal to new fans. Do ye view Twitter as a means to talk to people about everything and anything, or do ye see it more as a means to expand your fan base through dropping free tracks and videos?

For Scroobius: After the success of last year and a decent start to this campaign, do you feel Millwall will be contenders for promotion at the end of the season?

What was the last album either of you bought?

Advertisement