Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change Joint Assessment back to single assessment?

Options
  • 17-11-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey Guys -

I'm wondering if its possible to go back to Single Assessment after you have changed it to Joint Assessment? Both me and my spouse have income above the threshold so I don't think there's any benefit to being assessed jointly and I'd like to be assessed separately if there's no benefit to joint assesment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Yes, you can change at any time. https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/joint-assessment.aspx

For the most part, couples are better off jointly assessed. You really need to explore any benefits accruing from being separately assessed before you change.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Thanks, my wife received unemployment benefit as well as maternity benefit this year but shes employed from September. I think it will be beneficial if we are taxed separately as if we are taxed together, our tax credit will be reduced by Mat Benefit and Unemployment Benefit i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

Hello all,

My wife and I have been jointly assessed for a number of years now. She got laid off last year due to Covid.

She has rental income from a property in her name.

Am I , as the main person on the jointly assessed form 11 online submissions, allowed to transfer her rental income and rebtal expenses etc.. to my side of the form 11, for the purposes of a form 11 submission? Some discussions says yes, others say no, so hence the confusion.

Also, as she was receiving the pup where do I populate this on an online form 11 submission to ensure any PUP tax owed for that year is declared.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement