Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-04-2019, 09:32   #16
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
There were many, ya hot thing ya. But a life lived as publicly as that of the King of England could not be closeted. ......
Quite. Brings new meaning to the role of the 'trusty page of the backstairs'!
Advertisement
09-04-2019, 10:07   #17
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
Quite. Brings new meaning to the role of the 'trusty page of the backstairs'!
Listen, this guy had a courtier whose job it was to go into the sh!tter with him, and hand him toilet paper as required.

The guy was literally never unwatched. There was nothing secret about his private life, because he had next to no private life.
09-04-2019, 15:27   #18
pedroeibar1

Poor old James - even in death he was not allowed rest. Treated as a relic he was dismembered and bits distributed to half a dozen churches/convents. I used to pass THIS on my morning commute / RER many years ago.
10-04-2019, 01:51   #19
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
Poor old James - even in death he was not allowed rest. Treated as a relic he was dismembered and bits distributed to half a dozen churches/convents. I used to pass THIS on my morning commute / RER many years ago.
And to add to the indignity, most of him is now missing, because the tomb containing the bulk of his body parts was vandalised and robbed during the French Revolution. Apparently the tomb erected for him in 1824 contains only a length of intestine.
Thanks from:
11-04-2019, 19:07   #20
Jellybaby1

Crikey, who'd be a king, eh?
Advertisement
16-04-2019, 12:55   #21
BalcombeSt4

Ruth Dudely Edwards wrote that Patrick Pearce not might be gay, but was as a matter of fact gay. She also wrote that he sometimes had urges to fondle children & was a pedo who never acted on his urges (how she knew this was a mystery).

Now I hate Ruthe Duduley Edwrds with a passion and the last part is clear Loyalist propaganda, how the hell would she know he had these "urges". But the first part I think there's a good chance it was true, if you listen to the interviews of women from the Rising you hear he had no interest in talking or being with women.

Last edited by BalcombeSt4; 16-04-2019 at 17:03.
16-04-2019, 22:00   #22
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Ruth Dudely Edwards wrote that Patrick Pearce not might be gay, but was as a matter of fact gay. She also wrote that he sometimes had urges to fondle children & was a pedo who never acted on his urges (how she knew this was a mystery).

Now I hate Ruthe Duduley Edwrds with a passion and the last part is clear Loyalist propaganda, how the hell would she know he had these "urges". But the first part I think there's a good chance it was true, if you listen to the interviews of women from the Rising you hear he had no interest in talking or being with women.

Well, there is that poem of his, Little Lad of the Tricks:

Quote:
I forgive you, child
Of the soft red mouth:
I will not condemn anyone
For a sin not understood.
Raise your comely head
Till I kiss your mouth
I'd be hesitant in judging a man on the basis of a single poem, but it's still not something I'd want my name attached to.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 09:15   #23
ChrisJ84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Rumours circulated in his own time that he had homosexual favourites; these rumours were assiduously propagated by his Jacobite opponents, but were taken seriously by his supporters as well - seriously enough to warn him about the unusual degree of favour which he showed to a number of young, handsome men, some of whom he brought with him from the Netherlands, and to whom he granted English titles and court positions. (Their descendants still enjoy English titles today.)

William had no children with his wife, whom he married for dynastic reasons when she was just 15 years old (and he was 27). He only had one known mistress, which by monarchical standards of the time meant he was regarded as practically celibate. His intense friendships with younger men are not in dispute, but historians disagree about how much veracity there might be in allegations that these relationships were actively sexual.
An equally plausible interpretation is that Williams relationship with these younger men was paternal - he and Mary were childless after all. Jacobite propaganda and court jealousy / gossip would have been enough to fuel rumours of homosexuality.

It seems strange to me that we see same sex friendships, even intense ones, and immediately jump to the conclusion that they must have been lovers.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion