Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iphone software update?

Options
  • 12-04-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an iphone 7... currently using 13.6.. software update to 14.4.2 - should I install it? don't want it to slow down my phone too much but there is an app I want to use and it requires 14.4 or newer..
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

After a quick Google, it looks like earlier versions of iOS 14 (14.0, 14.1, etc) were pretty poor on the iPhone 7, but the later versions don't seem to be mentioned as much, so might not be causing grief.
    There is mention of an initial day or two of slow running, as the iOS updates various logs, etc, but that it gets better after that.

PS: All this is highly accurate info, direct from the internet, so no warranty is expressed or implied, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Type 17 wrote: »
    After a quick Google, it looks like earlier versions of iOS 14 (14.0, 14.1, etc) were pretty poor on the iPhone 7, but the later versions don't seem to be mentioned as much, so might not be causing grief.
    There is mention of an initial day or two of slow running, as the iOS updates various logs, etc, but that it gets better after that.

PS: All this is highly accurate info, direct from the internet, so no warranty is expressed or implied, etc

thanks for that - I actually did some reading myself and while a lot of it made my head go buzzzzzzz..... i didn't see anything -ve so I proceeded and seems all is good.. however, battery might not be holding charge as much since I did it - not sure - but it was poor before the update - needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 44 melchior1951

Just for security reasons you should always install new software updates as soon as possible. There are many serious known issues with iOS 13.

sporina wrote: »
    however, battery might not be holding charge as much since I did it - not sure - but it was poor before the update - needs replacing

If logs are updating over the first day or so, the battery might be getting chewed a bit more than usual - you can see what's using the battery during each hour in the Settings app (and you can see the overall health of the battery - below 80% is considered knackered).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Type 17 wrote: »
    If logs are updating over the first day or so, the battery might be getting chewed a bit more than usual - you can see what's using the battery during each hour in the Settings app (and you can see the overall health of the battery - below 80% is considered knackered).

what are "logs"?

• Advertisement

Hidden lists of computer "garbage" that the OS needs to run properly, but you don't (need to) see. Caches are another type - stuff stored, for quick retrieval, rather than downloading it again.

Advertisement