Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plex Outside of Network

Options
  • 18-02-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey All,

Just a query on allowing other users access to my Plex server. My server runs off am old Mac mini + hard drive and works well for everything in our house (Chromecast + Shield). I've recently helped friends get into upgrading their TV and speaker setup so want to share the Plex content.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to use port forwarding with the Virgin 3.0 Hub, and thus am losing the ability to share the server outside the network. It sometimes works briefly but then shuts off. I've reserved the IP for the Mac on the modem and set it manually on the Mac (connected by LAN).

Has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Apparently port forwarding can be buggy on Virgin 3.0 Hub. You might consider placing it in modem mode and get yourself a decent router.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭joficeduns1

degsie wrote: »
    Apparently port forwarding can be buggy on Virgin 3.0 Hub. You might consider placing it in modem mode and get yourself a decent router.

It's not even an option in mine. I read that it was disabled unless you revert to using IPv4. Any disadvantages to disabling IPv6 I wonder? Don't have the budget for a new router, especially as this functionality isn't exactly essential. Thanks for the suggestion though ðŸ‘ðŸ½

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭joficeduns1

Had Virgin change the modem to IPv4 only and I got the option to port forward. Looks like a Plex limitation for now, remote access can't operate (cleanly) on IPv6. Resolved I guess.

Advertisement