Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAT6 house cabling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Actually, was thinking about this a bit more, and was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there was an outdoor rated Poe network switch.

And then I went looking

And then I found this

https://www.senetic.ie/product-usw-flex/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu6fzBRC6ARIsAJUwa2SZn7FETk2nrkh_wO0M2FvkN8ukrfDRcoeGHd5JW3rtICIV1HG01_EaAsfyEALw_wcB

Might get something similar or cheaper either, bit you get the idea, and that's not a bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did think of an outdoor switch but the security analyst in me is uncomfortable at the thought of an access point to the network being (potentially) so easily accessible. Possibly being too over protective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

So here we are guys, finally getting around to grabbing a pic of where the 3 points in my house terminate.

We appear to have 3 CAT5's going into the black box, and 1 black cable, which I'm guessing is a telephone cable from the pole outside (unused like most of us who are now on Fibre).

Further guidance welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Actually, was thinking about this a bit more, and was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there was an outdoor rated Poe network switch.

And then I went looking

And then I found this

https://www.senetic.ie/product-usw-flex/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu6fzBRC6ARIsAJUwa2SZn7FETk2nrkh_wO0M2FvkN8ukrfDRcoeGHd5JW3rtICIV1HG01_EaAsfyEALw_wcB

Might get something similar or cheaper either, bit you get the idea, and that's not a bad price

Great suggestion here for sure, but I think I'd rather just extend the lines back to my central point to be honest and keep it tidier and more central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

So here we are guys, finally getting around to grabbing a pic of where the 3 points in my house terminate.

We appear to have 3 CAT5's going into the black box, and 1 black cable, which I'm guessing is a telephone cable from the pole outside (unused like most of us who are now on Fibre).

Thanks in advance.

So, of the 3 cables, 1 is already going to your router, leaving you with a Max of 2 points available to you.

1) where are these other 2 points terminated, and are they in useful/viable locations.
    2) no doubt, you will need to connect these 2 cables to your existing router, I assume the only way of doing this, is to find where they all are at a common location inside the building and cut them back from there. So where is this common point ?

• Advertisement

So, of the 3 cables, 1 is already going to your router, leaving you with a Max of 2 points available to you.

1) where are these other 2 points terminated, and are they in useful/viable locations.
    2) no doubt, you will need to connect these 2 cables to your existing router, I assume the only way of doing this, is to find where they all are at a common location inside the building and cut them back from there. So where is this common point ?

Thanks for the feedback. So I've actually got FTTH, so I don't use that network at all and thus actually have all 3 of those lines available to me. I know where 2 of the 3 points are, I obviously just need to figure out which lin e goes where, but I have a network cable id kit, so once I crimp them up, I'll be able to use that to figure out which line goes where.

I'll just cover up the black wire (old eir conventional telephone line I'm assuming) and tuck it away.

Great that I can utilise these however and I'll post an update once I've got it in place!

Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks in advance.

Normal way they're wired that is that 1 cable that went to the master phone socket has it's spare pairs used to go back to that junction box and then out on those other 2 cables.

Is the FTTH router near this old master socket. You can buy small outdoors switched that are powered over the Ethernet cable, so you'd terminate all 3 cat cables and plug them into that and place it in the junction box and then plug in another small one in near the router to get power to it and that's wired into the router. No need to pull wire then if the 2 runs are enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

i read through the experiences and challenges of implementing cat6 cabling. i was wondering how much did it cost? I'm trying to budget the estimate of cabling and the effort involved (ripping up stuff?) as i move into a new house.

brio09 wrote: »
    i read through the experiences and challenges of implementing cat6 cabling. i was wondering how much did it cost? I'm trying to budget the estimate of cabling and the effort involved (ripping up stuff?) as i move into a new house.

I'm slowly working my way through installing CAT6 in my home. My efforts are isolated to the 1st floor, as I don't wish to rip up the ground floor at the moment and don't really have any need too, as my cab is in my office so I've been able to install the cables I need there, and have installed a duct to get up to the attic and then drop cables into the satellite sockets which I no longer use. I got all my materials from: https://www.cablemonkey.ie/

Very fast service and their screened CAT6 cable seemed reasonably priced. Just a note, their CAT6 RJ45 plugs are pass-through plugs, which I are fantastic once you get used to using them. However you will need to purchase a new crimping tool, as you will need a tool that snips off the excess cable when you pass the 8 wires through.

If you have any option to install CAT6 I'd jump at it. Even if you think you might only half use it, it's good to know its there. Additionally it will add to the re-sale value of your home longer term.

Hope that helps!

I'm slowly working my way through installing CAT6 in my home. My efforts are isolated to the 1st floor, as I don't wish to rip up the ground floor at the moment and don't really have any need too, as my cab is in my office so I've been able to install the cables I need there, and have installed a duct to get up to the attic and then drop cables into the satellite sockets which I no longer use. I got all my materials from: https://www.cablemonkey.ie/

Very fast service and their screened CAT6 cable seemed reasonably priced. Just a note, their CAT6 RJ45 plugs are pass-through plugs, which I are fantastic once you get used to using them. However you will need to purchase a new crimping tool, as you will need a tool that snips off the excess cable when you pass the 8 wires through.

If you have any option to install CAT6 I'd jump at it. Even if you think you might only half use it, it's good to know its there. Additionally it will add to the re-sale value of your home longer term.

Hope that helps!

awesome, thanks for the details and vendor recommendation! would you mind sharing an estimate of how much it cost you? I have no idea whether it is 100, 500, 1000, 3000, or 5000 ballpark, so unable to prioritize this vs other renovation/purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

awesome, thanks for the details and vendor recommendation! would you mind sharing an estimate of how much it cost you? I have no idea whether it is 100, 500, 1000, 3000, or 5000 ballpark, so unable to prioritize this vs other renovation/purchases.

That really depends on how much the fabric of the house needs to be messed with. I'm similar to Paul above, I'm just doing upstairs. Thankfully due to some very opportune placement of built-in wardrobes, I have to do little/no destructive work to run cables from the attic down to each of the 4 bedrooms. I've already run an external Cat6 from the router up to the attic (using the existing virgin media coaxial hole in the wall and skilfully* hidden behind a drain pipe all the way up).

I've not priced up the internal eth cable yet but I know it's not going to be prohibitive. The external cable I got from kenable.co.uk, 50m shielded proper copper was £23. Face plates and wall boxes are a few quid a piece. A good crimping kit might be £30 (I already have this, just giving you an idea). I don't envision it costing much at all tbh, I just need to find the time.

*this is a lie, needs to be tidied

So as theteal pointed out, it really depends on your environment and what you plan to do. But like what was pointed out below, I got 3 desktop 4 port outlets for my office, 3 wall faceplates and modules, 200mtrs of Shielded FTP Cat6 cable and 100 (1 pack) of CAT 6 RJ45 Easy plugs (the pass through type I mentioned above) for €298 all in.

Now as I mentioned above, I had a traditional crimping tool that doesn't really work with these plugs as it doesn't snip off the excess cable and while you 'could' use a snips, it's not a pretty finish, so you're best off just getting the proper tool which is another €30-€40. I got a good one and I can see that it's worth spending the extra.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Dr4gul4 wrote: »

Shielded cat 6 might be worth installing also, in case of electrical interference, I found this was an issue with HDMI Senders :(

I have the same issue with a Labgear hdmi sender, I think there is HDBASET certified cable also read to use high copper content cable and not coper coated cable, if you are using POE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

tkrysiak wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Not sure if this board is the best place to ask but has anyone done CAT6 cabling in their home? I am shortly moving into a new house and would like to organize someone to do such work for me. Not even sure where to ask and what cost to expect for doing such work (know the cable/hardware cost etc)

Would anyone kindly point me in the right direction if they have previous experience?

Just checking did the OP found an installer for cat6 cables?
    i need wire cat cables in my house which has no previous cat wiring.
    any recommendations for installers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi Bit

It is really just domestic electrical, electrician work.

The skills for installing these cables are usually strongest in electricians just like alam systems the people that know about the terminations are very good at that, but the cable installation is usually better from electricians

In larger installations the data installers come into their own, but most domestic electricians are very comfortable with data cabling installations and terminations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

+1 for what Stoner has said, years ago in work I needed to get all the networking cables replaced (BNC to CAT) and even then it was electricians who came in to run the cabling. The installation of the face plates will probably be done by the electrician, once you get the hang of it it's simple https://community.fs.com/blog/how-to-terminate-and-install-cat5e-cat6-keystone-jacks.html

So as theteal pointed out, it really depends on your environment and what you plan to do. But like what was pointed out below, I got 3 desktop 4 port outlets for my office, 3 wall faceplates and modules, 200mtrs of Shielded FTP Cat6 cable and 100 (1 pack) of CAT 6 RJ45 Easy plugs (the pass through type I mentioned above) for €298 all in.

Now as I mentioned above, I had a traditional crimping tool that doesn't really work with these plugs as it doesn't snip off the excess cable and while you 'could' use a snips, it's not a pretty finish, so you're best off just getting the proper tool which is another €30-€40. I got a good one and I can see that it's worth spending the extra.

Hope that helps.

Thank you paulgrogan, thank you theteal! very helpful to hear about your experiences and expenses

Advertisement