Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir voip landline config

Options
  • 02-04-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,

is anyone using eir voip landline (residential) successfully with something other than their modem/router or soft phone (eir Talk)?

I got eir voip landline recently and it works fine with their equipment, but if I try to connect anything different to it, like a 3rd party modem or a soft phone, I get no joy.

The friendly eir support lady gave me my login details via email and they look like what's configured in the eir router, but I keep getting 401 and 500 errors no matter what I try.

So anyone using any kind of 3rd party stuff with eir voip? And did it just work? Any specials?

Thanks

Fritti

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hello Everyone,

is anyone using eir voip landline (residential) successfully with something other than their modem/router or soft phone (eir Talk)?

I got eir voip landline recently and it works fine with their equipment, but if I try to connect anything different to it, like a 3rd party modem or a soft phone, I get no joy.

The friendly eir support lady gave me my login details via email and they look like what's configured in the eir router, but I keep getting 401 and 500 errors no matter what I try.

So anyone using any kind of 3rd party stuff with eir voip? And did it just work? Any specials?

Thanks

Fritti

I have not tried it but I am going to get my login from eir and try to connect the ATA I have. I'll let you know if I have any success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe the common VOIP ports are grabbed by the eir modem for their VOIP thus making them unavailable for softphone on another service?

Have you tried changing the ports used by the softphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Maybe the common VOIP ports are grabbed by the eir modem for their VOIP thus making them unavailable for softphone on another service?

Have you tried changing the ports used by the softphone?

Thanks Johnny but that’s not how it works, the ports are fine. If they weren’t I couldnt communicate with the sip server but I can. The eir sip server is actively denying me login (REGISTER).

Thanks Johnny but that’s not how it works, the ports are fine. If they weren’t I couldnt communicate with the sip server but I can. The eir sip server is actively denying me login (REGISTER).

Ah! Just realised you were trying to use the softphone to log in to the eir VOIP and not another VOIP service. :(

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Ah! Just realised you were trying to use the softphone to log in to the eir VOIP and not another VOIP service. :(

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Not at all. I should have been clearer.
    My understanding is that the eircom modem provides two analogue phone ports and it maps them to your eir sip account/landline number (on the eir sip server), but afaik it doesn't provide an internal sip server to local sip clients. The eir sip server uses 5080 (or 5081 for ssl) and whether my modem is connected or not I can communicate with a soft phone with that eir sip server over the same ports. The ports don't seem to be blocked or forwarded locally.
    I am getting proper responses from the eir sip server in any case. Unfortunately the wrong ones, I suspect the password they gave me is wrong. Actually I'm pretty sure it is 'cos I entered it into the eir router which stops working for the phones then. When I restore the eir server to previous settings all works well again.
    I tried to get my details again today through eir support and bring the password thing up if it they were going to give me the same one. But getting anything from these call centres is hard work. I didn't even get that far, all I got was a promise they'd call me back which didn't happen yet.

• Advertisement

I have had no success also I'm afraid. I have tried with a PAP2T ATA and Softphone. I ran a Wireshark trace and the eir SIP server is responding to the REGISTER with:
    SIP/2.0 403 Forbidden 0102301005001

I searched for the numerical string given in the forbidden message but could not find anything definitive.

I then tried to decrypt the F2000 config file to get the password that way using these guides:

https://hg658c.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/hg658c_configtool/
    http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/huawei_hg659

However the recent firmware updates have obviously changed the encryption keys so none of these methods work currently.

CalamariFritti can you confirm that the SIP password that eir gave you was a 32 character long string of uppercase letters and numbers?

The first five characters of mine are: 91DC2
    The last four characters are: 5F1D

Does your password begin and end similarly?

I have my suspicions also that I was given the wrong password. Ithink they may have given me an encrypted password or part of the encryption key for the password.

I have had no success also I'm afraid. I have tried with a PAP2T ATA and Softphone. I ran a Wireshark trace and the eir SIP server is responding to the REGISTER with:
    SIP/2.0 403 Forbidden 0102301005001

I searched for the numerical string given in the forbidden message but could not find anything definitive.

I then tried to decrypt the F2000 config file to get the password that way using these guides:

https://hg658c.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/hg658c_configtool/
    http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/huawei_hg659

However the recent firmware updates have obviously changed the encryption keys so none of these methods work currently.

CalamariFritti can you confirm that the SIP password that eir gave you was a 32 character long string of uppercase letters and numbers?

The first five characters of mine are: 91DC2
    The last four characters are: 5F1D

Does your password begin and end similarly?

I have my suspicions also that I was given the wrong password. Ithink they may have given me an encrypted password or part of the encryption key for the password.

Same as that although my password starts with D1BB and ends on 5026. In any case, its a fixed length 32 byte hex string indicating that its hashed/encrypted. Probably the same way SIP credentials are encrypted (nonced) before being sent over the line.
    The format of the password already made me suspicious. Now that I found my eir router stopped working when I entered that password makes me certain.

I guess they have a configuration screen for the line/account from which they copy pasted the stuff out and the support guys are unaware that the password field is encrypted.

I have some development in my case although an unexpected one.
    It appears that my repeated unsuccessful login attempts triggered something with eir. Because without asking for this they made an appointment for a technician to call to my house again. They said there is a fault on my line that needs 'repairing'.

I know there is no fault as such, their equipment works just fine all the time, but I went with that and have hopes that the engineer may either have the password or may be able to get it. He is going to call tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Same as that although my password starts with D1BB and ends on 5026. In any case, its a fixed length 32 byte hex string indicating that its hashed/encrypted. Probably the same way SIP credentials are encrypted (nonced) before being sent over the line.
    The format of the password already made me suspicious. Now that I found my eir router stopped working when I entered that password makes me certain.

I guess they have a configuration screen for the line/account from which they copy pasted the stuff out and the support guys are unaware that the password field is encrypted.

I have some development in my case although an unexpected one.
    It appears that my repeated unsuccessful login attempts triggered something with eir. Because without asking for this they made an appointment for a technician to call to my house again. They said there is a fault on my line that needs 'repairing'.

I know there is no fault as such, their equipment works just fine all the time, but I went with that and have hopes that the engineer may either have the password or may be able to get it. He is going to call tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hopefully that works for you although I have my suspicions that many of the technicians will not have a clue about VoIP.

You were right, the technician was here and he didn't know a thing. He was actually here to put me back on PSTN landline. I told him all is fine and I didn't request to be put back and I dont want to change back and he left. Not sure where this is coming from but thats what happened.

So then I spent another hour between different agents on the phone and the end of the story was that the password they already gave me is the only password they see and while he acknowledged its probably encrypted and no good to me there is nothing he can do for me.

And anything beyond that would be considered troubleshooting 3rd party soft/hardware and tough luck.

So in other words eircom allow third party routers and soft phones but are actually unable to give you the credentials required.

What a joke.

I can do no more than this: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057859112

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is it possible that there's a way to extract login details from the eir talk app? I know that app uses my eir login details but could there also be a separate config file within the app with the SIP login?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is it possible that there's a way to extract login details from the eir talk app? I know that app uses my eir login details but could there also be a separate config file within the app with the SIP login?

I thought of that but its unlikely they left a leak like that. The eir Talk app even uses SSL when talking to the SIP server. And I don't really want to get into 'hacking' to make this work anyway, even if I could - which is unlikely. eir should simply provide correct configuration details.

Maybe if people could thank that 'Talk to eir' post of mine? Maybe that would give it little more emphasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there any chance it's just the myeir login password and the 32 char password they've given is your own password, but encrypted? Maybe you've tried that already.

No I didn't do trial and error. But you're right could be something really straightforward like the username or the line ID or something. But I would also be conscious about doing that, they might view that as harmful intrusion attempts. And we shouldn't have to do that in the first place.

Edit:
    Actually now you have me thinking... What if they did something really stupid like a generic password, repeat of the username or line-id or something like that? If they then revealed the password to anyone it would open a huge hole. I mean anyone could REGISTER against anyone's phone number then. All you would need to know was their phone number and you could assemble the rest.
    So if they did that they couldn't actually tell anyone what their password was without getting into trouble.
    Couldn't be, could it?

EditEdit:
    Actually I don't think that. Their support is obviously hit and miss, but their infrastructure folks know their sh1t surely. But then again the hashed password mistake is such an easy one, too. I mean surely some customers were going to ask for SIP details. Whats the point of giving out hashed passwords to them? The whole thing doesn't add up.

No I didn't do trial and error. But you're right could be something really straightforward like the username or the line ID or something. But I would also be conscious about doing that, they might view that as harmful intrusion attempts. And we shouldn't have to do that in the first place.

Edit:
    Actually now you have me thinking... What if they did something really stupid like a generic password, repeat of the username or line-id or something like that? If they then revealed the password to anyone it would open a huge hole. I mean anyone could REGISTER against anyone's phone number then. All you would need to know was their phone number and you could assemble the rest.
    So if they did that they couldn't actually tell anyone what their password was without getting into trouble.
    Couldn't be, could it?

EditEdit:
    Actually I don't think that. Their support is obviously hit and miss, but their infrastructure folks know their sh1t surely. But then again the hashed password mistake is such an easy one, too. I mean surely some customers were going to ask for SIP details. Whats the point of giving out hashed passwords to them? The whole thing doesn't add up.

I could be wrong but I think the encrypted password may be a relic of the Huawei firmware from the router. If you look at the Python code examples I posted about earlier you will see that the F2000 encrypts it's config file but furthermore it also then encrypts the passwords in the config.

When I originally asked for my password over chat the agent assumed I was having phone issues so pushed all the VoIP config details over CWMP (TR-069) to the router. I suspect this encrypted config may be what they are seeing on their screens.

To be honest I was surprised they even gave out the, albeit wrong, password in the first place. Most ISPs won't want to deal with such issues, Vodafone have refused to divulge them for example.

Obviously some people in eir would be able to give out the correct details but they are likely several levels above the frontline tech support staff so getting to speak to them is going to be quite difficult.

It adds up in one way ........ eir do not want their customers to be informed about VOIP at all.
    They want them to be locked in to eir in the same manner they were for decades on the POTS lines.

For me this is a huge reason to not accept an eir VOIP 'line', but to make other arrangements with a different provider and use my own equipment ..... when they decide they will connect me to fibre .....

It adds up in one way ........ eir do not want their customers to be informed about VOIP at all.
    They want them to be locked in to eir in the same manner they were for decades on the POTS lines.

For me this is a huge reason to not accept an eir VOIP 'line', but to make other arrangements with a different provider and use my own equipment ..... when they decide they will connect me to fibre .....

I have had a Blueface account for about 10 years at this stage. I'm currently using it with the eir FTTH service (F2000 router) without issue. I am trying to get the eir VoIP account working with my ATA more as a proof of concept really.

I tried one last thing which was submitting a ticket through the eir website.
    Got a call back this morning and someone who didn't sound like he really knew what he was talking about told me the passwords are system generated and stored encrypted in the configurations for each enduser. These are then pushed out to the enduser modems and support simply cannot see the unencrypted passwords. This is what it is for residential end users. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Seems they just want a simple, unimaginative, bog-standard PSTN replacement service like Virgin Media have.
    They should really consider launching a full residential / soho VoIP service for those who want it. All you'd need to do is provide SIP log in details as it's entirely SIP based and their IMS platform is capable of doing quite a lot more than providing just dumb dial tone service.
    I certainly won't be signing up to it if it's not available as a direct SIP service as I have a really nice full VoIP DECT setup and it would be fairly pointless plugging that into an analogue conversion port on their gateway.

I mean, they could even sell their own, pre-configured VoIP home phone kits with HD voice and all of that, using the infrastructure they already have in place. All they'd need is a handset package from Gigaset or someone similar that you plug into one of the RJ45 ports on the back of the router.
    That being said, there are plenty of good alternatives and clearly they're not interested in supporting that kind of thing for whatever their own marketing reasons are. I would assume they don't want support calls from what is probably a very low revenue revenue service.

In common with every other telco in Europe and the world, they urgently need to wind down the PSTN/ISDN infrastructure, as it's running on equipment that is very much at the end-of-life stage. 
    The local digital exchanges originate back in about 1982-1990s era. I'm sure aspects of them have been upgraded, but they're old tech and the two vendors, Ericsson and Nokia (which now owns Alcatel) no longer actively develop them. It's exactly the same story everywhere as all the telcos have similar old digital switching technology.

Belgium's main operator, Proximus has actually now already completed the VoIP switchover there. They have replaced their fleet of Siemens and Alcatel switches. Basically, you either get your phone services from a gateway, carrying traffic over your internet connection, or you get a dial tone generated by VoIP equipment in the street cabinet, if you don't have a broadband service. As far as the end users are concerned, it a dial tone or a digital DECT handset and nobody cares as long as it works reliably.

To support ISDN for a few more years, they basically life-extended and reused Alcatel S12 switches, installing RSUs (remote small exchanges) in every exchange building and moved ISDN customers to those. The logic of that was they didn't want to disrupt big business users or have to carry out tons of site visits, but will gradually migrate them to VoIP.

Eir and ComReg are moving at a snail's pace on this stuff, as is BT in the UK. They're literally now years behind many of the continental telcos on VoIP migration.

I would assume the strategy that you'll see here will be moving everyone who has FTTC to VoIP services, drastically reducing the number of lines on the PSTN switches as that happens. The number of landlines is naturally falling away rapidly anyway.
    When they've migrated as many people as they can, they will only really be left with a relatively small number of people who need dial-tone replacement services from the cabinet / exchange and that can be delivered with VoIP and MSANs, or using existing PSTN access equipment on a much smaller scale, managed by a VoIP soft switch (whichever's cheaper I assume.)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I just got fibre broadband last week. Supposed to have VOIP but when I plug the landline in to the router am getting a lot of static and noise . Would it be my phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Sorry about reviving an old thread but any positive update on this? Do Eir now provide the unhashed SIP password?

I want to use a Fritzbox with built in DECT.

I don't know, I have switched provider since. My new provider doesn't release the SIP details either. Must be a thing.
    However they use Fritzboxes with their customers themselves and are well versed with them. So I got the next best thing I guess. I allowed their support guys briefly admin access to my fritzbox and they configured my SIP on my fritzbox. (I know! Imagine that!)
    So now I have VOIP on my own fritzbox and all works 100%, I just don't know the password for the external VOIP 'landline'. But of course I can register SIP devices to my fritzbox and all that. Which I don't really do except for the fritzphone app. I use DECT phones too mostly.

The provider is digiweb btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hi Folks.

I have Eir FTTH with the Sagecom router, I purchased a Cisco phone to use as a landline. Anyone know the settings I need to use it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Any update on this from anyone, I was trying to configure microsip to use my Eir VOIP but was getting nowhere

Using this as my rough guide..

Recently moved to Eir broadband service with phone.

Unfortunately the same situation still applies ....... I got a 'voip' username and 32 digit password, but cannot register.

I was told they do not have a registrar!

I guess the necessary is all contained in that 32 digit 'password'.

Useless!

I hate to lose the eir number but I have another VOIP line which I can use, registered through my Fritz!box.

BTW, I was told, of course, by the sales contact, that I could use my own router for the broadband and telephone.

I guess I should have expected something like this from Eir.

EDIT

I got a different set of details from another tech but those did not work either.

Still trying. 😀😂

Post edited by Johnboy1951 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Comreg should follow the German example here. Allow the use of own equipment.

Advertisement