Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Quite impressed. Has the deep base response of a nice speaker. I'll be keeping mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Airplay 2 removed from today’s beta releases
    https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/20/airplay-2-removed-11-3-beta/

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Its gone very quiet in here - anyone else buy one since?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

i got my space grey HomePod about two weeks ago. It's in the sitting room (on a glass surface) and I've mostly been very impressed. The sound is probably as good as I was expecting, while Siri is probably as hit-and-miss as I was expecting. The mic though is something else. I can't set a timer on my phone in the kitchen now, because the HomePod in the sitting room hears me and starts the timer there. That's through two (open) doors and across a hallway...

I've rooted my Apple TV's sound through the HomePod and it sounds so much better than my TV speaker - the bass, especially, can be room-shaking, but the whole soundscape is so much wider and clearer than before.

I'm delighted with it, I have to say. When AirPlay 2 finally comes out, I might be tempted to get a second one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

How does the Space grey look? Debating which colour to get

• Advertisement

I received Space Grey today, I think it looks good, but as always, it’s down to personal taste.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Most of my Apple stuff is space gray so I went with a white HomePod. Looks great.

How does the Space grey look? Debating which colour to get

Space grey looks really good and works with the TV unit it’s sitting on. Haven’t seen the white in the flesh.

11.3 HomePod update available now

Airplay 2 is not included in the update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

HomePod still not on Apple.ie??
    Buy from uk only !
    Cramp

I love the HomePod, but it’s severely limited in Ireland.

And I’m a big Apple fan, deep in the ecosystem, but I have to say, Alexa seems a lot smarter than Siri.

Airplay 2 is seeded in the 11.4 beta released today so HomePod stereo is on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AidenL wrote: »
    I love the HomePod, but it’s severely limited in Ireland.

And I’m a big Apple fan, deep in the ecosystem, but I have to say, Alexa seems a lot smarter than Siri.

How is it restricted in Ireland compared to other countries?

Siri is definitely the weakest of all assistants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it restricted in Ireland compared to other countries?

Siri is definitely the weakest of all assistants.

Apple's detail to privacy is one of the main reasons Siri lacks behind.
    Both google and Amazon are far more invasive at gathering information and capturing basically everything. Hell Samsung at one stage on their tvs were capturing all conversation spoken while the tv was powered on and transmitting it to a 3rd party without any security protocols in place.
    I trust Apple with my data whereas the likes of google/facebook etc..not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Blazer wrote: »
    Apple's detail to privacy is one of the main reasons Siri lacks behind.
    Both google and Amazon are far more invasive at gathering information and capturing basically everything. Hell Samsung at one stage on their tvs were capturing all conversation spoken while the tv was powered on and transmitting it to a 3rd party without any security protocols in place.
    I trust Apple with my data whereas the likes of google/facebook etc..not a chance.

Yes Apple has to do a lot more processing on device so that clear user data is not visible to them, whereas Google being Google they are happy to gather as much user data as they can in their severs with a way for them to access it, which means they can leverage that huge dataset in a world class data center to optimise their product.

In that trade-off I also clearly favour privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

When is this available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

When is this available in Ireland?

I don't think there is a date yet .. but parcel motel from Apple.co.uk or a spin up to the apple store in Belfast

whippet wrote: »
    I don't think there is a date yet .. but parcel motel from Apple.co.uk or a spin up to the apple store in Belfast

Parcel Wizard is better. Same price as Parcel Motel but they deliver to any address you want.

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard is better. Same price as Parcel Motel but they deliver to any address you want.

Link here

Depends for whom, both have their own advantages.

In my case there’s a parcel motel locker 2 minutes walk from my place and it’s more convenient than a courrier service which requires to be at home the whole day or pick-up thebdelivery from a depot somewhere not too convenient (my office is not too keen on accepting personal deliveries).

• Advertisement

i think it will be launched here when airplay 2 is fully up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone get a home pod & recommend over Sonos?

I currently have two Sonos but the extra interface & non counting of plays annoys me. Considering selling them & getting a homepod instead.

Can you play from your iTunes library ?

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone get a home pod & recommend over Sonos?

I currently have two Sonos but the extra interface & non counting of plays annoys me. Considering selling them & getting a homepod instead.

Can you play from your iTunes library ?

I don’t have a Sonos to compare to, but yes you can play from your iTunes library and it’ll happily play any custom songs you’ve added.

I like the fact that I can just leave it playing from AM all day without worrying about AirPlay or my phones battery. If you don’t want to talk to it you can control it just like any Airplay speaker just swipe up from the now playing tile in Control Center and tap the icon.

Does it register the play counts? I listen to podcasts and the Sonos doesn’t count them which means they stay as I played on my phone. Which pisses me off no end.

I use Overcast for podcasts so I can’t answer since I typically just AirPlay them. It’ll play podcasts when asked which I presume use the native podcast app.

I’ll check later.

Those of you that have one, which delivery service did you use?

Afaik Apple don’t allow the use of P.O. boxes or delivery services.

OU812 wrote: »
    Those of you that have one, which delivery service did you use?

Afaik Apple don’t allow the use of P.O. boxes or delivery services.

Plenty of people here have used Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard without any problems.

Sent mine from Apple UK to parcel motel without issue.

the 11.4 update means you can now sync up multiple pods(stereo ) who's' tempted ?

its being officially released to more countries on june 16th also a lot of talk of a beat branded 250 dollar version coming on monday

• Advertisement

Is there anything about AirPlay 2 that's good for those of us who only have one HomePod?

Advertisement