Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah have to agree. It nearly seems like a beta product that was launched.

Seem to have been rushed a little or at least released before it was fully ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't think that Siri cares about your region.

The issue is that the Homepod is an incomplete product at launch.

€350 then having to wait for hopeful future updates is wrong in my opinion.

I am pretty sure the region settings do make a difference for Siri on the Apple TV.

It wouldn’t but surprising if it was the same for the HomePod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I've started to play around with the homepod a little now over the last day or so and first impressions are quite good.

I'll start by saying that I am a bit of an Apple fan boy .. so understandably anything I say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

First and foremost I bought it as a wireless speaker for music, podcasts and radio streaming - this is something I have been using my iOS devices and various other speakers for before. The sound quality is better than anything I've had before for this and in quite a large living room it fills the room very well.

I have been using SIRI for a while - on the phone, watch and in the car (carplay) ... once you get in to the habit of using SIRI it becomes less and less of a drag.
    SIRI for music works very well .. it reacts much quicker than on the iOS device and it will work with anyone's voice .. my kids and wife were playing with it last night and once they get the hang of how to phrase questions the experience is the same.

Notes is a biggie for me ... and the fact that notes can be shared even better.
    Airplay from other devices and other people's device is simple.
    It looks great .. feels very solid.

Homekit - It works flawlessly with the Philips Hue lights .. again not a game changer but as I add more bulbs around the house it becomes better and better. I will probably get some more homekit stuff like CCTV and Thermostats.

Its primary function is as a speaker and so far it is doing that job brilliantly.

I am unfortunately a sucker for getting gen1 products, iPhone, iPad, watch etc so will always just jump straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

whippet wrote: »
    First and foremost I bought it as a wireless speaker for music, podcasts and radio streaming - this is something I have been using my iOS devices and various other speakers for before.
    Its primary function is as a speaker and so far it is doing that job brilliantly.

Is it true it doesn't connect for bluetooth audio or have an aux in?

Effects wrote: »

Just airplay ... pain in the arse for anyone who wants to stream from elsewhere but I have no need for either as it’s all coming from iOS or MacOS with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mine is at the parcel motel

So can you use spotify?
    I gave up using itunes a while back as it just seems like a mess these days.
    I used to use an apple airplay express to stream from my computer to stereo a few years back but it's been a while.
    The audio seems to be great from the HomePod but I don't like the restrictions.

Just select the HomePod in Spotify for airplay ... no issue .. just won’t work with Siri

I find Siri a pain to work with anyway. When I ask "Siri, play spotify" on my iPhone it just plays from Apple music app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just select the HomePod in Spotify for airplay ... no issue .. just won’t work with Siri

So if i want to use Spotify i can't use Siri to select a song?

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    So if i want to use Spotify i can't use Siri to select a song?

nope .. its a limitation alright .. but I've been using apple music for the last few years anyway so not an issue.

Actually 99% of the time you select the music on the phone anyway rather than asking siri !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you need to airplay Spotify to the HomePod. once it's playing, "Hey Siri, Pause/Play/Next track/Previous track" will work as intended.

you just can't do "Hey Siri, Play The Chain by Fleetwood Mac on Spotify".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Going by the review in the guardian yesterday, Sound quality meant to be excellent on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

peteeeed wrote: »
    mine is at the parcel motel

Try Parcel Wizard from DPD next time.

I use it all the time

Same idea, with virtual UK address but they deliver to any address you want for the same price so you don't have to get to a motel or worry about theft.

Link

Effects wrote: »

This is true but you can use it for Spotify via Airplay but not with Siri commands for tracks.

Another issue is future proofing.

In 10 years time when Apple drop support for this you will no longer be able to use this as a speaker for you new system like you would with other high end speakers that cost less due to lack of bluetooth connecivity or AUX.

Remember some people have high end speakers for 30-40 years.

That is just wrong.

Just spent an hour with it , blown away by the audio , I’m not a big Siri user so that took a bit of getting used to so I kept it basic , I tried to catch it out with the orbs ‘adventures beyond the ultrawold ‘ but it played it no problem , bass , treble and clarity is really impressive, played some hip hop next and it was almost like I’d adjusted the EQ , super bassy , then I played some stone roses and again it was a really impressive detailed sound
    Very happy with it so far

This is true but you can use it for Spotify via Airplay but not with Siri commands for tracks.

Another issue is future proofing.

In 10 years time when Apple drop support for this you will no longer be able to use this as a speaker for you new system like you would with other high end speakers that cost less due to lack of bluetooth connecivity or AUX.

Remember some people have high end speakers for 30-40 years.

That is just wrong.

It’s not a high end speaker ... it’s a home accessory ... I’d be really surprised if I am still using it in 10 years as tech will have moved on substantially !!

That is like saying you wouldn’t buy a new smart phone as in 10 years Samsung or apple won’t be supporting it etc ... and the phone is twice the cost of this speaker !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My last negative post about it I promise.

For Spotify users, yes you can use Airplay but it’s not like casting really where th device r diving takes over the streaming, so you will get battery drain if using Airplay for a mobile device.

The beauty of these smart speakers is the ability to just ask it to play whatever and let it play or change it around etc without having to open apps and navigate them etc.

If you are an Apple Music subscriber then fair enough but I wouldn’t consider it if I were a Spotify user.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Some confirmed issue with damaging wood surfaces as a heads up

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/14/homepod-wood-crop-circles/

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

My white one arrived today.

It sounds quite good, and should improve as more features are added.

I’d really love a radio alarm function on there as Sonos has.

My wife, who would never bother opening an app to play music at home is happily keeping Siri busy with playback requests.

I’ll probably leave that one in the kitchen and buy two more for living room and bedroom.

• Advertisement

It’s not a high end speaker ... it’s a home accessory ... I’d be really surprised if I am still using it in 10 years as tech will have moved on substantially !!

That is like saying you wouldn’t buy a new smart phone as in 10 years Samsung or apple won’t be supporting it etc ... and the phone is twice the cost of this speaker !

€350 approx for a speaker that's not high end?

Have you read how Apple are promoting this product?

My point is that as tech moves on it's not right that the speaker is then dead and cannot be used as a normal speaker.

Have you read how Apple are promoting this product?

My point is that as tech moves on it's not right that the speaker is then dead and cannot be used as a normal speaker.

It’s not high end .. you stated your self a high end speaker will run you in to thousands.

It’s a home accessory.

Who says it won’t be functional in 10 years ? It has an A8 processor on board and can be updated. But generally the life span of home tech like this isn’t expected to be a lifetime.

Definitely not. Mid-range maybe (but even in the mid-range a brand like B&W will have more expensive stuff in terms of stand alone speakers).

Look at something like the Naim Mu-so if you want to start to be in the high-end, but you’re really firmly in high-end territory with something like a Devialet Phantom.

Low range , mid range , high range not sure what it is but I’m loving it

Low range , mid range , high range not sure what it is but I’m loving it

What’s for sure is that purely in terms of sound quality it delivers surprisingly good value for money (better than any other smart speaker and also than a good number of standalone speakers from more established audio brands). Just that is actually quite impressive.

But calling it high-end is not knowing the world of Hi-Fi equipment.

Bob24 wrote: »
    What’s for sure is that purely in terms of sound quality it delivers surprisingly good value for money (better than any other smart speaker and also than a good number of standalone speakers from more established audio brands). Just that is actually quite impressive.

But calling it high-end is not knowing the world of Hi-Fi equipment.

Totally , I have a high end amp / streamer and speakers , it’s not that but it’s way better than the Cambridge audio Bluetooth speaker I was using , lots of clarity and detail no matter what the volume and now I’ve got rid of the English fella and now have the Aussie girl I’m happy

Totally , I have a high end amp / streamer and speakers , it’s not that but it’s way better than the Cambridge audio Bluetooth speaker I was using , lots of clarity and detail no matter what the volume and now I’ve got rid of the English fella and now have the Aussie girl I’m happy

Very tempting for me to get one!

I’ll probably end-up getting one anyway, but it’s such a shame the don’t have an auxiliary entry on them. Buying two of them would make a perfect mid-range sound system for an Apple user’s living room. But even if you are all in Apple’s ecosystem not being able to output sound from your TV and devices connecting to it is a bit of a bummer (even the Apple TV won’t be perfect as it will have a delay which ruins interactive apps such as games and sometimes requires a reconnection to the HomePod(s))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Bob24 wrote: »
    Very tempting for me to get one!

I’ll probably end-up getting one anyway, but it’s such a shame the don’t have an auxiliary entry on them. Buying two of them would make a perfectly mid-range sound system for an Apple user’s living room. Even if you are all in Apple’s ecosystem not being able to output sound from your TV and devices connecting to it is a bit of a bummer (even the Apple TV won’t be perfect as it will have a delay which ruins interactive apps such as games and sometimes requires a reconnection to the HomePod(s))

I'm in the same boat, I will get one but I am pretty disappointed I won't be able to output sound from the TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Could you set up two and have music/podcasts playing simultaneously in different rooms?

• Advertisement

Could you set up two and have music/podcasts playing simultaneously in different rooms?

Currently this will work only from iTunes on a computer (same as with other Airplay speakers).

But they have already announced support for doing this from iOS devices in a few months.

Advertisement