Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTPC Essential and Useful Links

• 24-06-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I have lots that come to mind, just no time to type them right now. Post any links you would like added below and I will edit this post.

It will be broken down into categories, HTPC/media centre software, hardware, calibaration tools, HTPC resources (TGB etc etc), suppiers of hardware.

ideas for categories are welcomed too, im just brainstorming below....

Pre-Built HTPC Suppliers

hush technologies

HTPC Front-end Software

Commercial
    Windows MCE 2005
    Windows MCE Vista
    Pluto
    Beyond TV
    Elgato (Mac OsX)

Free

MediaPortal
    MythTV
    GB-PVR
    LinuxMCE
    VDR

Software for game consoles
    Xbox Media Center (XBMC)

Windows MCE Resources
    tgb

Windows MCE Addons, Plugins and utils
    webguide
    ad removal
    mymovies

Mac Resources

Calibration tools/Software
    Post edited by The Ritz on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

For free MythBuntu is the handiest. It's Ubuntu with an XFCE DE and fully MythTV integrated. Step by step installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

XBMC now available multi platform - simply brilliant and free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Has anyone used Mediaportal
    Its free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭awkward

Boxee is also free and built on XBMC base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

fyi
    Just giving something back to boardies, I've used Mediaportal,MCE,Myth(different flavors).
    But of them all YaVDR (yavdr.org) is the best linux variant that I've used. using it 2+years on my stable main htpc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,043 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Based on a problem I just had with a new TV.

DLNA playback on Televisions

Most TVs now support this certification put out by the Digital Living Network Alliance (dlna.org) basically what it is, is standardization of streaming content. So you can have a DLNA set top box access the files on your HTPC or a Network Hard Drive and have fun.

There are normally two ways to do this,

-Pull the content from the DLNA Media Server (PC, HDD) using your TV Controlls
    -Push the content from your PC using Windows Media Player (very Feng Shui)

However If you think the Pushing option is cool understand that your choices for DLNA Certified products is more limited. Look for TVs and Receivers that have the Windows 7 logo on them, or view the Product certificate on DLNA.org before purchasing and determine which of several types the product is:
    • Digital Media Server (DMS) – which stores content and makes it available on the network
    • Digital Media Players (DMP) – which can play content pulled from a Digital Media Server
    • Digital Media Controllers (DMC) – which can find content on a Digital Media Server and send it to a Digital Media Renderer device on the network
    • Digital Media Renderers (DMR) – which can play content pushed to it from a Digital Media Controller

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2011/03/28/using-play-to-with-a-dlna-certified-tv.aspx

Most TVs are still currently only DMP, which means that you can use the TV to pull, but can't push from the PC. So far only LG and Toshiba TVs seem to have this feature but this URL should update over time to include any current Push-compatible TVs (DMR): http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=TV%20Devices&os=32-bit&subcategory=Play%20To%20TV%20Devices&showallcats=true

Something extra to think about when you are planning your next massive Home Theater purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

I'm building up a collection of bookmarks related to HTPC, mainly based around XBMC and one server setup.

http://share.xmarks.com/folder/bookmarks/S0Uyye8TCK

In my experience DLNA is a great concept but loading libraries appears to take a long long time and thus is tedious to find things.
    DLNA programs used;
    Android - all share, dk dlna/upnp, bubbleupnp
    PC - windows media player, foobar 2000, xbmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

XBMC should no longer be under Software for game consoles should be under HTPC Front-end Software :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Advertisement