Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 5G plans

Options
  • 04-03-2021 1:18am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just letting people know that Eir are now offering a decent sim only 5G plan.

€19.99 a month for 12 months, unlimited 5G Data, unlimited calls and texts and 200 international minutes and texts.

Serious deal, moved to it today from the previous 4g tariff....actually shocked that the entire of my town is showing as having 5G coverage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for the heads up. It's good to see other markets getting involved and making it even more competitive.

Have you been with Eir before? I'd expect some additional charges and shoddy customer service from reading a lot of threads here.

Hope you have a good experience...

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/SIM_Only_Plans.pdf

" A once-off SIM activation fee of €9.99 applies to the Plans and will be charged to your first
    bill. "

"The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the Plans is 120GB"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yeah i've been with them for years, generally fine, once the bill is in or around what i'm supposed to pay i don't mind.

I've been on the 14.99 plan for the last year, it's never 14.99 but usually 16-17. no big deal, it's still super cheap compared to what we are all used to paying for the last number of years.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

eeloe wrote: »

€19.99 a month for 12 months, unlimited 5G Data, unlimited calls and texts and 200 international minutes and texts.

Serious deal, moved to it today from the previous 4g tariff....actually shocked that the entire of my town is showing as having 5G coverage!

I get 5G all around Waterford City with my €9.99 GoMo deal

Aquos76 wrote: »

is it throttled in anyway?

Does gomo have wifi calling?

is it throttled in anyway?

Does gomo have wifi calling?

I’ve gotten speeds of 150-180mb, but generally it’s closer to 100-120mb to be honest, It depends how close to the mast I am. Regarding WiFi calling no, that’s not supported on GoMo.

• Advertisement

I’ve gotten speeds of 150-180mb, but generally it’s closer to 100-120mb to be honest, It depends how close to the mast I am. Regarding WiFi calling no, that’s not supported on GoMo.

Decent speeds for the price.

i "need" wifi calling for work, absolutely no coverage on any network indoors....so depend on Wifi Calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Tony H

just want to check that you can actually access the 5g network on GoMo ? Im in Cobh and eir is the only 5g connection on my side of the island .

Tony H wrote: »
    just want to check that you can actually access the 5g network on GoMo ? Im in Cobh and eir is the only 5g connection on my side of the island .

Yes, but the areas that have 5G, we get far superior speeds on 4G, the 5G speeds seem to be restricted to 100mb now, prior to Christmas I was getting in excess of 180mb on 5G. I would often get between 200-250mb on 4G in parts of Waterford City

Yes, but the areas that have 5G, we get far superior speeds on 4G, the 5G speeds seem to be restricted to 100mb now, prior to Christmas I was getting in excess of 180mb on 5G. I would often get between 200-250mb on 4G in parts of Waterford City

thanks for that , my 4g is poor at peak times , but 5g on eir is giving me a constant 30-40 mb/s which will do until we get fibre (promised nov 21 jan 22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

€14.99 if you are an existing eir customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ive got 5G on my Eir bill and picking up speeds of 600mb in certain spots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have had serious problems with Eir in the past. Never, ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

All these companies advertising "No Limits" "Unlimited" are completely misleading and false advertising to the masses. 120GB per month is not unlimited / no limits and with a 5G connection you possibly could caught out toward the end of the billing cycle going over, then charged per MB.

Bill Pay Mobile Broadband 2c per MB/ €20.48 per GB. Eir out of bundle charges

Thats €20.48 euro for a 4 minute 4K youtube video..

Im looking for better deals all the time but what stands out for me is, vendors are trying to catch people with great offers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

All these companies advertising "No Limits" "Unlimited" are completely misleading and false advertising to the masses. 120GB per month is not unlimited / no limits and with a 5G connection you possibly could caught out toward the end of the billing cycle going over, then charged per MB.

Im looking for better deals all the time but what stands out for me is, vendors are trying to catch people with great offers!

If they were made by the regulator it would resolve this issue. The problem is the regulator has failed on this for year. They will say for most people it is as good as unlimited that most wont come near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I hear what you're saying and in general you have a point but in highlighting your plight you've selectively clubbed together two separate things. 120GB per month is for a mobile plan and the charges you've outlined are for a broadband plan. There are currently no additional charges on the no limit data mobile plans.

The broad band plan you're mentioning is the 4G broadband and that has a fair usage allowance of 750GB. Now unless you're streaming 4k 24hours it's unlikely you'll hit that in the near future. Looking at my usage on my fixed line which I run two apple tv 4k boxes, work from home 5 days a week and a shed load of devices on it my max monthly usage has been 486gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ocer

It's impossible to get 5G with GOMO...any proof?

Ocer wrote: »

I know a couple of people who's reported getting 5g in Waterford city on Gomo.

I’ve posted plenty of screenshots already, give me an hour and I’ll be in the city again and I’ll post more

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ocer

I’ve posted plenty of screenshots already, give me an hour and I’ll be in the city again and I’ll post more

Wow!!! Sounds like they are doing the 5G test for GOMO in Waterford?my wife's 12 max pro did not show the 5G signal in Dub, my p40 pro neither. hope 5G coming asap in Dub.

got a warning last night about fair usage , I'm on eir mobile complete 30 day and its showing my fair usage limit as 68 GB , I thought the fair usage limit was 120GB ?

can't get through to eir until Monday which is annoying but has anyone else experienced this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

gmacww wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying and.... The broad band plan you're mentioning is the 4G broadband ....

5G Data Plans

"Bill Pay Out of Bundle Data Charging:
    99c per day for 250MB, 2c per MB/€20.48 per GB thereafter. See here for full details of data charging including legacy plans. No Limits T&C's.
    Data Charging T&C's."

I just think that it is misleading and should just say what it really is, and drop the "No Limits" => 120GB. As a consumer I would not go for a product I feel is misleading and to me it's misleading.

Tony H wrote: »
    got a warning last night about fair usage , I'm on eir mobile complete 30 day and its showing my fair usage limit as 68 GB , I thought the fair usage limit was 120GB ? can't get through to eir until Monday which is annoying but has anyone else experienced this ?

Not surprised same thing happens with other providers they will throttle you down to 0.20kb if capped or charge you out of bundle charges if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

5G Data Plans

"Bill Pay Out of Bundle Data Charging:
    99c per day for 250MB, 2c per MB/€20.48 per GB thereafter. See here for full details of data charging including legacy plans. No Limits T&C's.
    Data Charging T&C's."

I just think that it is misleading and should just say what it really is, and drop the "No Limits" => 120GB. As a consumer I would not go for a product I feel is misleading and to me it's misleading.

OK but you've highlighted the part under the plans and not actually read it's content. If you read it you'd see the out of bundle charges applies only to the 20GB plan. The No limits 5G plan is exactly that. There is no data limit and in the T&Cs it states that they will only throttle you if your data usage impacts the performance of the network. Which to be fair is standard practice for every provider in every country around the globe.

I'm fairly happy with it as it gives me a decent speed 24/7 , as I speak NBI are digging trenches and putting in new duct chambers quite close to where I live so I will only have to rely on it for another 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Just bumping this thread as I signed up to this plan yesterday but I've not received any 5G signal even though my phone is capable and I'm well covered in Dublin for signal.

I checked the APN settings and it has some Meteor stuff in there would that be an issue? I'm not seeing enhanced communications stuff like VoLTE or WiFi Calling which I assumed is included in this plan?

I changed over to 5G last month and it was all done in less than an hour. Now I did it in-store and they gave me a new SIM card, but the whole process was faultless including billing.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I changed over to 5G last month and it was all done in less than an hour. Now I did it in-store and they gave me a new SIM card, but the whole process was faultless including billing.

You're receiving 5G on your phone with your new sim?

I had popped into a store the other day and the person said that the €19.99 a month was only for 6 months vs 12 months if done online. I signed up online and received my sim yesterday and popped into a store as I was going to be in Liffey Valley. Sales person said it could take 24-48 hours to port over my number.

Got onto their Twitter support and everything that was supposed to happen was done & I was up & running on the new sim within the hour.

I Googled APN settings for Eir and it shows up as "eirxxx" when inputting settings manually but for some reason mine is showing Meteor. Their Twitter support should be opening now so I'll get onto them about it.

Was just looking to get some feedback about other people's process. Cheers for your response :)

Yes, 5G.

My APN settings are data.myeirmobile.ie for both Mobile Data and Personal Hotspot with Username and Password blank. This is on IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Wow!!! Sounds like they are doing the 5G test for GOMO in Waterford?my wife's 12 max pro did not show the 5G signal in Dub, my p40 pro neither. hope 5G coming asap in Dub.

5G is a term that covers a lot of different things, including long, medium and millimetre waves.

Use for millimetre waves is quite limited due to its properties - outdoors only, within 50 meters and, ideally, within line of sight of a 5G millimetre wave mast.
    So, in practical terms, only useful in places like soccer stadiums, and city centre pedestrian zones.
    There are still technical discussions about whether it makes any sense at all - speed drops dramatically, and fall back to longer waves, as soon as it starts raining, or when you go indoors.

Now, the point I'm trying to make: all iPhones sold outside the US do not have a radio for millimetre waves, even though they support the rest of the 5G spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

5G is a term that covers a lot of different things, including long, medium and millimetre waves.

Use for millimetre waves is quite limited due to its properties - outdoors only, within 50 meters and, ideally, within line of sight of a 5G millimetre wave mast.
    So, in practical terms, only useful in places like soccer stadiums, and city centre pedestrian zones.
    There are still technical discussions about whether it makes any sense at all - speed drops dramatically, and fall back to longer waves, as soon as it starts raining, or when you go indoors.

Now, the point I'm trying to make: all iPhones sold outside the US do not have a radio for millimetre waves, even though they support the rest of the 5G spectrum.

None of the Irish Networks are deploying MM wave now, or have any plan to in the immediate future. They are deploying NSA which is basically midband, using 4G/4G+ for upload. By the time MM wave is available here, your Iphone will probably be a paper weight.

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Yes, 5G.

My APN settings are data.myeirmobile.ie for both Mobile Data and Personal Hotspot with Username and Password blank. This is on IOS.

I was back onto Twitter support and then customer service and they advised me to get a sim swap which I did yesterday and still no good. Even on the new sim it put me on same Meteor APN settings.

Next step is to try the sim in a different 5G capable phone and then a known 5G sim in my phone.

Advertisement