Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold a pup with Eph Ember

Options
  • 31-03-2021 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

So my boiler died and had to be replaced. Spoke to the plumber who came out and agreed to install a Hive controller at the time. Install time came and out of the boiler box comes an EPH Ember box with three pieces. I glanced at the boxes, figured they did the same thing so grand, was working from home so didn't have time to study the system.

Boy was I wrong. Can only schedule three slots for heating to come on and all same temperature?? My old manual heating clock let me select as many slots as I wanted. And there's no info about compatibility with Alexa? Until I came onto this forum I didn't even realise it was possible.

Ember app is pretty rubbish too, and I've a plethora of apps for smart devices, none so bad at this one. I'm absolutely fuming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeah I have the ember and the app integration with Alexa just stopped one day and I haven't been arsed with it since. It's very much the poor relation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My parents have EPH Ember system and it's fine for them but I couldn't be dealing with it, saying that, I was delighted with the Netamo system until I started down the Tado route. The only thing is that it's not a massive change to replace the EPH with a Hive (or other thermostat).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I installed nest last year & its fanfeckintastic. I don't really need to open the app... I set it on day one and haven't messed with it since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Once you get a smart app that works on temp it's hard to go back to anything else, timers seem so old fashioned, I used to play with geofencing stuff a few years ago (especially useful for outside Hue lights at night) but haven't used it in ages but for heating it's the way forward, when there's no-one at home turn down the heat but once you're close to home turn it up. Actually, that's the big change, the difference between turning on the heat and turning up the heat, might seem a small thing but it used to be the heat was determined by the amount of time it was on, now it's the set temp.

I can't wait to get the Tado TRV's installed, these are the next step for me and as someone mentioned in the home heat automation thread just having a smart thermostat control turning on and off the heat is very last year, my house doesn't have zoned heating so the TRV is the way forward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I actually spoke to the guy about the Tado system when he came to check the boiler but he could replace the boiler next day and it would have taken a couple of days for me to get the Tado stuff, so I agreed to the Hive but that's not what I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Get back onto him and tell him where's the hive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Get back onto him and tell him where's the hive?

Have done. First complaint ever apparently. He'll "do something for me". Very glad to have heat this week so feeling a little less rage. But I will replace ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

Clareman wrote: »
    Once you get a smart app that works on temp it's hard to go back to anything else, timers seem so old fashioned, I used to play with geofencing stuff a few years ago (especially useful for outside Hue lights at night) but haven't used it in ages but for heating it's the way forward, when there's no-one at home turn down the heat but once you're close to home turn it up. Actually, that's the big change, the difference between turning on the heat and turning up the heat, might seem a small thing but it used to be the heat was determined by the amount of time it was on, now it's the set temp.

I can't wait to get the Tado TRV's installed, these are the next step for me and as someone mentioned in the home heat automation thread just having a smart thermostat control turning on and off the heat is very last year, my house doesn't have zoned heating so the TRV is the way forward for me.

which smart thermostat s/w did you use in your first paragraph? was it Tado TRV or something else? wanna clarify cause your experience sounds very smooth and something I would like to get in the house I'm moving into - by replacing the existing ember app there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

brio09 wrote: »
    which smart thermostat s/w did you use in your first paragraph? was it Tado TRV or something else? wanna clarify cause your experience sounds very smooth and something I would like to get in the house I'm moving into - by replacing the existing ember app there.

I kind of want to do something different again, I have 2 nests with 3 zones but as house is large with some unused rooms at times (office at weekends) I probably should of went with Honeywell evo home. However I need for some zones to call for heat but not others. As in a main bedroom call for boiler start but an unused one doesn’t call boiler but does open trv and get some heat when another zone is calling boiler. If anyone knows if evo home can do this let me know please. If not I can kinda do this with the nests and smart trvs that do not call boiler.

brio09 wrote: »

It was the Netamo own app, really simple to use and they have a good website as well, I ended up with 3 schedules, winter, summer and COVID, winter had the heat come on in the morning a bit early whereas the summer just left everything around 16 (winter might have gone to 20), COVID becuase we were at home had the heat on a lot more, ended up getting a couple of Dyson heaters to stop turning on the heat in the whole house. The Netamo allows you move the termostat easily from room to room.

My house is a timber frame so gets up to temperature very quickly and retains heat well as well so the smart thermostat is perfect for it, the individual room controls will bring things to the next level (I hope).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

great - thanks Clareman, thanks kennethsmyth!

Advertisement