Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TG4 Idents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

The idents are nice, the on screen DOG being where it is and brighter than before is not...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, I preferred the DOG being more opaque than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I hate channels with a DOG and will avoid for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Delta2113 wrote: »

Not to mention the ‘Stay at Home’ nanny state on-screen graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Delta2113 wrote: »

There are very few, fta at any rate, BBC 1&2 are the only ones that come to mind, most of the others have some form of DOG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not to mention the ‘Stay at Home’ nanny state on-screen graphics.

Nanny state :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

apparently most viewers dont notice the indents and those that do dont watch, so go figure!! netflix are very happy

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think Sky have a good compromise on Sky One, Arts, etc. where the DOG appears only for a very short time when a programme starts or after an ad-break, before disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The RTE One indents have to be at least 15 years old at this stage. They were shot in 4:3 and are now cropped. The font in the RTE logo was slightly altered not long after they were created, no problem say RTE - just overlay the updated logo on top of the old. It's still like that today.

Yep, the RTE idents are 15 years old this year. Incredible. Incredibly embarrassing!

https://presentationarchive.com/ireland/rte-one/rte-one-2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yep, the RTE idents are 15 years old this year. Incredible. Incredibly embarrassing!

https://presentationarchive.com/ireland/rte-one/rte-one-2014/

I didn't realize they had been originally shot in 4:3, I just assumed they increased the size of the idents to achieve a new-ish look.

They have had a few Idents for their themed weeks, such as the Farming Week.

I also saw one the other week where the logo was not animated an some of the action was to the fore of the logo.

It started with a few falling leaves brushing past the local followed by a shoreline where the logo was covered by a wave was it came in. However it fail to materialize as new idents.

There is really no reason not to create new background images for the current logo, these 15 year old logos aren't the most creative at the end of the day.

And when you insist on spending money on marketing things like

Because...
    Supported by the License Fee..
    and a new logo for the NCO...

Surely money better spent marketing your main TV channel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There was a redo of all the presentation bar the idents in January 2014. Only the idents themselves, cropped as mentioned, remain from the 2006 look. It is still an incredibly long time for them to be on air - I don’t think an RTÉ One look had lasted more than three years since 1986 at that stage. When the 2014 look was created the “ONE” in RTÉ One was given a new font - it’s not overlaid on top of the old logo, it’s actually in a completely different place (the centre instead of the left hand side) and animates on screen. (You can see the original versions with the left aligned logo here: https://www.tvark.org/?page=391#/ )

The RTÉ logo itself has not changed since 1995 (no need either, it’s a design classic).

Also noticed that they have stop using idents for particular programming, for example the "film" or "late night" idents are now seen before any TV programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Going HD on Saorview. Be more a priority than bloody logos

icdg wrote: »
    There was a redo of all the presentation bar the idents in January 2014. Only the idents themselves, cropped as mentioned, remain from the 2006 look. It is still an incredibly long time for them to be on air - I don’t think an RTÉ One look had lasted more than three years since 1986 at that stage. When the 2014 look was created the “ONE” in RTÉ One was given a new font - it’s not overlaid on top of the old logo, it’s actually in a completely different place (the centre instead of the left hand side) and animates on screen. (You can see the original versions with the left aligned logo here: https://www.tvark.org/?page=391#/ )

The RTÉ logo itself has not changed since 1995 (no need either, it’s a design classic).

Here's a screen grab directly from RTE One just now.

I can see one logo on top of another. Both are VERY similar, however one has slightly thinner typography.

ByNStzu.png

JDxtra wrote: »
    Here's a screen grab directly from RTE One just now.

I can see one logo on top of another. Both are VERY similar, however one has slightly thinner typography.

The new font (Klavika) is nicer than the Gill Sans.

https://alandunne.ie/rte-one-tv-brand-identity

Advertisement