Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview - why no IPTV option?

Options
  • 09-02-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Is it not time for Saorview to be offered over an IPTV medium (geo locked as needed)?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All of the Saorview channels are available to stream for free, via the RTÉ Player, VM Player and TG4 Player. True, they aren’t all in one place and individual programmes aren’t always available for rights reasons. That pet peeve of mine of pre-stream adverts is also an issue. (Look, I know they need to make money. I have no issue with such adverts where a programme is being streamed on demand for free. However as a general principle where a live stream is being offered we shouldn’t have to endure additional adverts, over and above those which are already part of the schedule, to watch. After all we don’t have to watch adverts when we switch on our TV before we can tune in a station. And pay TV customers can access streams without these adverts via Sky Go and the like).

Unfortunately it is that exact reason as to why there will likely never been a Saorview Player - the broadcasters don’t want to give up a new additional source of income.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I remember an ISP had some TV service that had the Irish channels available to watch in one place.

Damned if I can remember the name of the service, though I suspect it's gone now.

Edit: It was Aer TV, ran by Magnet. Link just redirects to Magnet's main site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ +1 channels aren't available
    nor is Virgin Media One +1

TG4 providing +1 and +2 on their service, though neither are broadcast

RTÉ had 2 temp channels on the player which they have since removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ +1 channels aren't available
    nor is Virgin Media One +1

TG4 providing +1 and +2 on their service, though neither are broadcast

RTÉ had 2 temp channels on the player which they have since removed.

Don't forget how the rte player doesn't actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

byte wrote: »
    I remember an ISP had some TV service that had the Irish channels available to watch in one place.

Damned if I can remember the name of the service, though I suspect it's gone now.

Edit: It was Aer TV, ran by Magnet. Link just redirects to Magnet's main site now.

iBox.ie seems to be the spiritual successor to AerTV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement