Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Setup?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

60TB must be fore more than a domestic setup... Are they powerpacks on the bottom?

Nah! its a home setup which is why i posted it... im shocked by the amount of investment. its some rich lad in Norway me thinks...

Its here if ye want to see more... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148739&page=19

That thread is brilliant for getting ideas... and then realising that my bank balance cant match my ideas!

They are UPS alright... shelves look a bit flimsy though! :D

Sorry about pic size... just pasted from the xbmc forum... looks like i broke the previous page when i posted it on here! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I have a Zotac Zbox id41-b. I threw in 4GB ram into it and a 320GB drive.

I installed Arch Linux in it and have it auto loading XBMC standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

My new setup:
    Synology DS212J DiskStation NAS with 2 x 3TBWestern Digital Red
    This is running SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, CouchPotato, Mylar, LazyLibrarian and I'll be setting up Newznab on it asap. ;)

Android Smart TV Box This is basically a non-branded G-Box Midnight with a custom version of Linux and XBMC running on it, both courtesy of J1nX.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

kyub wrote: »
    My new setup:
    Synology DS212J DiskStation NAS with 2 x 3TBWestern Digital Red
    This is running SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, CouchPotato, Mylar, LazyLibrarian and I'll be setting up Newznab on it asap. ;)

Android Smart TV Box This is basically a non-branded G-Box Midnight with a custom version of Linux and XBMC running on it, both courtesy of J1nX.

Can that be used with a usb tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

New "post your setup" / "showcase" section up on the XBMC forums.

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=202

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

For those that were jealous of the guys with the multiple QNAP NASes..........

http://www.dabs.ie/products/qnap-ts-869l-24tb--8-x-3tb-wd-re--8-bay-desktop-nas-8Z87.html

I've ordered one purely on the basis that it's about half what the price should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

A small update AGAIN! I got stick of running XBMC on top of other Operating Systems like Windows and Android, so have switched to running OpenElec. It's a much better experience, much snappier and running on a more powerful system (Intel NUC) now.

Media Backend: Synology DS212J DiskStation ¦ 2 x Western Digital Red 3GB running: NZBGet ¦ NzbDrone ¦ couchpotato ¦ lazylibrarian ¦ mylar ¦ headphones

Media Frontend: Intel NUC DN2820FYKH OS: OpenElec
    Nexus 7 running XBMC ¦ ComicRack ¦ Yatse Remote ¦ Show Box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

just though i would post a small update on what i recently did and was very pleased with the results.

we had a sky contract (no movies or sports). i cancelled it , honestly this was the hardest part, took an hour on the line.

retasked a raspberry pi 2. installed openelec/kodi as it has the tv software tvheadend automatically installed. i bought a USB stick (if anyone is interested i will post the name, not sure that breaches the rules here). put the sat cable into the USB stick, plug the USB stick into the raspberry pi, and network cable it on your lan. follow the youtuble/blogs on setup of tvheadend and you have yourself a tv server.

activate the tv option on your kodi clients, dload the tvheadend client into kodi, change that to pint to the ip address of the pi...and bingo...tv all over your house. next step is to get this working on PLEX for the ipad use, i have not looked into that yet, will post here when i do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i bought a USB stick (if anyone is interested i will post the name, not sure that breaches the rules here).

Legitimate commercial tuners are fine to discuss here. The issue is when you are working around a paywall be it PPV or a subscription service etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes please post the model of that USB stick if you are happy with its performance ;)

• Advertisement

Present set up (which is fluid as I like to tinker :) )

Digibit R1 4 tuner satellite Sat>IP Gateway
    3 DVB-T USB dongles (RTL2832) (about €8 each)
    Sky+HD box (donation) with Eir sports (no Sky sub) whose HDMI is fed to Edision HDMI>DVB-T modulator.

Tanix Tx3 Mini running CoreELEC 8.90.2 using its Tvheadend add-on to manage all tuners and recordings, time-shift, picons,etc etc

Choice of storage .... server, usb HDD and network shares.

All devices can watch all DVB-T channels simultaneously as the multiple DVB-T tuners cover the two Saorview muxes and the third the Eir Sports channel.

Multiple satellite channels can be viewed and/or recorded simultaneously. Tvheadend looks after the most efficient use of the available tuners.

I use Kodi on all client devices at the TVs so that the same interface is used everywhere, which suits everyone.

The more recent versions of Tvheadend include a Wizard for set up which makes things much easier than it previously was.

My biggest challenge was creating my own Bouquets which I did manually to suit the users here, but once created they are saved for future use (when I fiddle with set up and make changes :) )

Quite happy with my multi-tuner, multi-room and multi-client-device set up, and really appreciate the lack of any subscription for multi-room or for viewing HD channels.

It serves various client devices such as R-Pi; Intel NUC; Tanix Tx3 Mini as well as various tablets, phones, laptops and desktop PCs.

Should I wish I can share all or part of the channels on the internet so they can be viewed from a remote location ..... think holidays in foreign parts (with internet access).

A small update to my setup which has been running well since ...

I changed the 3 DVB-T tuner sticks to a HDHomerun Quattro (quad tuner small box), so I now have an unused tuner.
    It tidies things up appreciably.

I have changed the variosu small Arm boxes for others, and keep the one with lowest specs as the server.
    I am presently using CoreELEC version 9.2.0
    Some of the newer boxes have great display and audio capability for those who have suitable hardware .... 7.1 audio; passthrough; HDR; UHD and such. I do not presently have any hardware to take advantage of these improvements.

All still good, thankfully. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭terrarev

I've just got a new tv and in the process of figuring out how I'd setup my freeview channels I came across this thread and ended down a rabbit hole.

Long story short I've ditched tuners on tv/set top boxes and started a centralised system.

I've an old Dell Optiplex that I've used with Plex for a long while now so added tuners to that.

Setup at the moment:

- Dell Optiplex 530 running Linux Mint on a 128GB SSD. 1GB HDD and 2TB USB HDD for storing media.
    - Plex managing media on system and TVHeadend to manage the tuners
    - TBS-6504 PCIe tuner card.
    - Sony Android TV with Kodi installed one one tv as client
    - Old Android Q plus box with Kodi on client for other less smart TV.

At the moment I only have one DVB-T tuner available in my setup so I have co-ax to the tv's as back up in case that's needed.
    It's enough for now but something I'll keep an eye on upgrading.

I'll probably look at upgrading my client on the second TV as the one there is a few years old and playback can get a bit jerky from time to time. Nothing major, and it's not the main tv so not a big deal.

Most importantly, so far the system as passed my wife's QA testing so it looks like it's a success!

I'm sure I'll be adding to this over the next while

Advertisement