Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight Distro supportsing Docker and a Modern Browser

Options
  • 30-03-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been running Ubuntu VMs for several years now in Oracle VirtuaBox on Windows 10 host. My go to distro was a 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and it worked fine. I turned off updates and had no problems with performance.

I recently upgraded to a 64 bit Ubuntu 20.04.02 LTS VM after reading the positive blurb but find it dog slow despite having plenty of laptop memory. It also seems to force upgrades which is a pet hate of mine. My general experience has been that you start with something that works perfect and repeated updates f... it up so badly that you eventually have to purchase new hardware.

This is what I'm looking for from a distro:

- Can be used from Oracle VirtualBox
    - Upgrades can be easily switched off. Even better if there are no automatic upgrades.
    - docker.io can be installed
    - Lightweight desktop, don't need anything fancy
    - Supports a modern version of Chromium but doesn't have to be the latest, version 65 would be sufficient.
    - Runs a Java IDE well, eclipse preferable.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Peppermint perhaps?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Worztron wrote: »
    Peppermint perhaps?

Thanks. Just read a few reviews and it looks like it may fit the bill. Will try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Thanks. Just read a few reviews and it looks like it may fit the bill. Will try it out.

I would recommend MX Linux, medium weight but you might like it very much : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I use Slackware myself, although I'd hold off until v15 (currently in beta) ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

You're welcome. Please let us know how you get on.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement