Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave's Essay on Sparta

Options
  • 10-11-2003 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I'd like Manach or Sci0x or one of the other ancient history buffs like myself to tell me what they think of this, if they can handle it.

How far does the period 478-404BC bear out the contention that Spartan policy ‘is always governed mainly by the necessity of taking precautions against the Helots’? (Thuc. IV.80, translated by G.E.M. de Ste Croix.

In their complaints to Sparta regarding Spartan inaction during the period 446-431BC, the Corinthians account Spartan constitutional stability ‘responsible for a kind of ignorance which you show when you are dealing with foreign affairs’ (Thuc. I.68). It is this same constitutional stability which is responsible for the majority of Spartan affairs during the period 478-404BC being foreign affairs, while, for example, Athens on the other hand went through such major reforms as those prescribed by Ephialtes as well as pursuing her imperial ambitions during the same period. It is with this in mind that I address Spartan policy as being more accurately Spartan foreign policy with the exception of two occasions.

In 476, Pausanias, one of the Kings of Sparta, was recalled home by the Ephors on the pretext of medising. The reality for Sparta was much more serious - Pausanias had been intending to free the helot population of as a means to turning Sparta into an absolute monarchy (Bury and Meiggs, ‘A History of Greece’ p202). Long has Sparta relied on the enslaved populations of Messenia and Laconia to work the land and provide the Spartiates with the means to sustain their entire militaristic way of life; freedom of the helots was an anathema to the Spartans as it would spell the end of their way of life. The recall of Pausanias was not in the interest of Spartan foreign policy since he was a thorn in the side of the adventurous Athenians, currently with an army in the Hellespont region, but this was subordinate to the security of the Spartan state towards which all males from the age of seven were drilled (Bury and Meiggs, ibid p96).

The Spartan agoge, ‘a uniquely rigorous and elaborate system of state education’ (Crawford and Whitehead ‘Archaic and Classical Greece’ p115) had been established since some time after the Second Messenian War to ensure ‘little or no insolence, little or no drunkenness and little or no indecency in behaviour and talk’ (Xenophon ‘Lak. Pol.’ V.2-6) and provided the iron discipline of legend (more detail on which later) which the Spartans would have us believe (according to A. Powell, more details on which later) was how they won their wars. Given that the agoge was necessary to keep the helots subservient and the helots were necessary to sustain to Spartan way of life, as it was dictated by the agoge and that this situation remained in place all through the 5th Century BC, it is fair to say this this aspect of Spartan policy was certainly dictated by necessity of precautions against the helots in fact it was a precaution against the helots.

Returning to the Hellespont c476 BC, the Spartan commander Dorcis was despatched to command the Hellenic forces as Pausanias’ replacement but he was recalled soon after, allowing Athens to wrest control of the anti-Persian crusade from Sparta. While this was not in the interest of Spartan prestige abroad, it may have been indicative of trouble brewing within the Peloponnesian League.

In order to understand the significance of the Peloponnesian League within Spartan affairs, one must understand the reasons behind it’s establishment. Around 560BC, Sparta began pushing her frontiers northward and came into conflict with Tegea, a poleis predominant in southern Arcadia. Defeated by 550 BC, Tegea’s subject-ally status became the model on which the Peloponnesian League was founded. The reason for the condition in which Sparta left Tegea in 550 BC may well have been dictated by the need to control and have aid in controlling the Messenian helots who were ever ready to revolt, rather than adding yet more peoples to the subjugate population and thereby increasing the insecurity of the Spartan state rather than lessening it.

By 473 BC, Tegea and Argos (also defeated by Sparta in her bid to control the Peloponnesus) had recovered and were restless - it was from this source that the trouble emanated.

In 473 and 471 BC, the battles of Tegea and Dipaea, fought against Tegea and Argos and the Arcadian League respectively, secured for Sparta the control of the Peloponnesian League, though at the cost of ignoring affairs external to the Peloponnesus rather than formulating a policy for them (namely the creation of Athens own empire). This was in deference to the ‘little’ Sparta policy that the Peloponnesian League was needed to maintain security from the helots, every bit as much as the agoge was needed.

Even the crushing of such dissent within the Peloponnesus did not rid Sparta of her fears as she was forced to acknowledge the synoecism of Elis into a democratic poleis, north of Messenia, and the synoecism of Mantinea, both as reward for remaining apart from the rebellion attempt by Tegea and Argos. Both Mantinea and Elis was to prove the Spartans of this time correct in their apprehensions when they sided with Alcibiades’ Athenian / Argive army at the Battle of Mantinea which shattered the Peace of Nicias.

Nor did the defeat of Tegea and her allies forestall a helot rebellion in Messenia which began in 464 BC, after a great earthquake destroyed parts of Sparta. The implications for Spartan policy quickly became clear. The Spartans had promised the poleis of Thasos aid if they were attacked by Athens. Thasos was a member of the Delian League and had revolted from Athenian control in 465 BC. Athens had already set a precedent in the reduction of Naxos in 472BC and proceeded to attack Thasos. Quite the opposite from their promise, Sparta sent no forces and in fact begged for Athenian aid in ending the helot revolt which had become the siege of Mount Ithome in Messenia, siege-warfare being one in which the Spartans did not excel. This is a clear illustration of Sparta passing up the chance to set her own precedent vis-á-vis the Delian League in favour of taking precautions against the helots.

Between 465 and 459 BC, the year of the end of the helot revolt, Sparta took no actions in the wider world, not even to curb the resurgence of Argos, evidenced by the Argive destruction of Mycenae.

Nor did Sparta intervene in the construction of the Long Walls between Athens and her port, the Piraeus in 458 BC, though several reasons may lie behind this; Spartan ignorance of what the Athenians were doing (Thuc. I.90), respect for Themistocles as a vigorous prosecutor of the Persian War (Thuc. I.91) or possible martial exhaustion after the conclusion of the siege of Mount Ithome.

Whatever the reason, in 457 BC, Sparta again became involved outside the Peloponesus, this time in Doris, north of Boeotia. An army of 1500 Spartiates and 10,000 allied troops (Thuc. I.107) restored control of a Dorian village to Doris after the Phocaeans had captured it. The Spartans then proceeded to form the ‘Boeotian Confederacy’ with Thebes as it’s leader, to place a check on Athenian expansion into central Greece (Bury and Meiggs, ibid p220). This was absolutely unrelated to the helots and is one of a few events which might dispute the Thucydidean view cited in the title of this essay, though it is possible that even at this stage, before Athens had attacked any ally of the Peloponnesian League, that Sparta saw a danger to her own confederacy and was acting to curb that threat and therefore indirectly the threat which might subsequently emerge to her own stability. The battle at Tanagra between the homeward-bound Peloponnesians and the 14,000 Hoplites and other assorted troops that Athens sent out to meet them was simply a by-product of the untenable position the Spartans had placed the Peloponnesian forces in during the intervention in Doris (i.e. the Athenian navy guarded the Gulf of Corinth and the Athenians held the Megarid (Thuc. I.107)).

It is here, at the first instance of a major engagement between the two hegemonic states that I wish to make an assessment of a second continuous policy of Sparta especially with regard to her military; secrecy. Not much is known about Sparta during the period 478-404 BC, not least because Sparta herself has left little or no literary record (a sentiment echoed in A. Powell’s ‘Athens and Sparta’ pp214-212). Powell, on the basis of comments by Thucydides (V.86.2) and Herodotus (III.46) that ‘Sparta’s enemies might be demoralised by the thought that her military ascendancy was due to sheer discipline and hardness’ (Powell, ibid, pp96-97). These thoughts may have precluded the exposition of Sparta’s fatal weakness and the realisation of that weakness such as in 371 BC, following the Battle of Leuktra (where Epaminondas of Thebes defeated Sparta in a disastrous battle), which secured the Messenian helots their freedom and ended the military predominance of Sparta. Such secrecy therefore was influenced by the helots and if actually a Spartan policy, must rank as one of the greatest examples of ‘maskirovka’ of all time.

Returning to 457 BC, Athens, having suffered defeat at the hands of the Peloponnesians, revenged herself upon their new ally - Thebes - by the conquest of Boeotia by the Battle of Oenophyta. Here followed two years of action against Sparta and her allies (Thuc. I.108-113) without Spartan reply. Thucydides makes no comment on the reason for Spartan recalcitrance and no source tells us of trouble with Sparta or her league that might preclude retaliation. It can only be assumed that Athens, then at the height of her imperial glory, deterred thoughts of reprisal rather than some helot related problem holding Sparta’s attention.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Three years following Pericles’ invasion of Sicyon in 455BC, the Athenians and Spartans signed the Five Years’ Truce and Sparta and Argos signed the Thirty Years’ Peace, returning Sparta to a state of complete peace, at home and abroad. Though we may never know if this was conscious policy, we can guess that a state of external peace was the Spartan ideal, allowing the greatest freedom of action within the Peloponnesian League, should an ally try her hand at gaining hegountai or indeed, nemontai of the league and greatest freedom of action should the helots make a move. This is even more likely when we consider that the Spartans had endured an agoge which dictated that helot revolt was a fact of life and that the Peloponnesian League was there to help suppress the helots. With peace external peace therefore established as the ideal state for Sparta, we may use it as a reason for the caution the Spartans employed when deciding whether or not to go to war - such as the large gap of inaction between 446 and 431 BC, the period of Thucydides’ ‘Aetiae.’

The year before the end of the truth (448 BC) saw Sparta once again engaged in Northern Greece in a war, almost by proxy. The Phocaeans, having been thwarted in their annexation of Dorian land then wrested control of the Delphian oracle from Doris - and Sparta helped Doris regain that control. As soon as the Spartans had cleared the area however, Athens promptly helped the Phocaeans wrest it back. The reasons behind this intervention on the part of the Spartans are unclear; it may be that, incensed at the treatment of ‘the original homeland of the Spartans’ (Thuc. I.107) by such a mediocre poleis as Phocis, the Spartans decided to right what they perceived as a wrong. There may have been some religious motivation involved given that the Delphian Oracle was one of the most important religious sites in Greece and we later talk of how Apollo (the god to which Delphi was a shrine) would ‘fight on the part of the Spartans whether they invoked his name or not.’ There may have been some hidden benefit of the type that Athens and her unrelenting imperialism may have sought - and it would not have been the first instance of naked imperialism by Sparta if this were the case (cp Spartan interference in Thrace c478 BC and the bribery of the Spartan commanders by Thracian Princes to call off the invasion). Only one thing can be certain; no part of this intervention was related to the need to take precautions against the helots (though if the religious motivation was the correct surmise, then it throws up interesting ideas about the Spartan view of religion and war if indeed it were the case that the Spartans saw this as an act to keep the gods on ‘their side’ in case of a war.

In 447 BC, Athens preponderance in Boeotia was sharply terminated by the annihilation of the Strategos, Tolmides, force and shortly following, in 446 BC, Sparta invaded Attica under the command of King Pleistoanax (thuc. I.113-115). At this time Euboea had revolted from Athens and her affairs were in crisis. This gave Sparta an opportunity to end a real threat to her own dominance of the Peloponnesus; by forcing Athens to surrender Nisaea, Pegae, Troezen and Achaea in return for the Spartan withdrawal from Attica and the subsequent Thirty Years’ Peace between the two powers and their alliances. The four territories mentioned had long been a thorn in the Spartan pride and their retrieval represented the preclusion of the threat which the Corinthians later outlines in the debate at Sparta in 431 BC (Thuc. I.120).

From 446-431 BC as I have mentioned, Sparta’s forces are again inactive both within and without the Peloponnesus and possible reasons for this I have laid out in discussing the same type of inaction in the period 452-448 BC.

The second or ‘Great’ Peloponnesian War which broke out in 431 BC was caused ultimately, records Thucydides by the ‘laying of [Athenian] hands on [Spartan] allies’ (Thuc. I.118.1-2) and, given the Corinthian threat to withdraw from the Peloponnesian League (Thuc. I.171) may be justified as a glorified defence of the Peloponnesian League from Athenian aggression, regardless of the pretensions Sparta maintained about liberating Hellas (which continued right up until Sparta had forced oligarchic constitutions on several of them and forced them to join in yet another anti-Persian crusade!)

On four occasions, in my opinion, can we best see this come to the fore. In 425 BC, there is panic in Sparta when the depth of the defeat at Pylos / Sphacteria becomes known and the Spartans offer Athens peace on the status quo. It is indicative of the Spartan panic that after Athens declined her offer of peace, she suspends her annual forays into Attica in return for sparing the lives of the captured Spartiates (D. Kagan, ‘The Archidamian War’ p228). The capture of the Spartiates completely undermined the notion of Spartan military invincibility that Powell has described and I have mentioned before and further reduced the number of adult male Spartan citizens (or so the Spartans themselves would have thought, not counting on the selfishness of Alcibiades to return such a valuable prize). This would have been cause for alarm and Aristotle tells us that Sparta ‘perish[ed] through shortage of people’ (Aristotle, ‘Politics’ 1270A)

The murder of around 2000 helots (picked by the Messenians themselves as the most militarily capable) in 424 BC showed the fear which continued to grip Sparta as did the sending of a Spartan army plus a helot contingent under Brasidas to the northern Aegean to get some helots away from the city and hopefully discourage revolt (Thuc. IV.80).

The terms of the Peace of Nicias are even more telling. Sparta agreed, more or less, to a peace based on the status quo ante bellum - with Athens to return the captured Spartiates along with the island of Sphacteria and the fortress built at Pylos, which the Spartans feared the Athenians might use as a base to launch a full scale Mount Ithome-like helot rebellion.

Fourth and finally indicative of the nature of the Peloponnesian War as a grandiose defence of the Peloponnesian League and, by implication, of Sparta’s war of life is the treatment of Athens upon her defeat in 404 BC (before it became part of a political powerplay between Lysandros and Pausanias II). The terms of surrender were that ‘all except 12 ships must be surrendered, the exiles to be recalled; Athens to have the same enemies as Sparta and to follow Spartan leadership’ (Xenophon ‘Hellenika’ II.2.20). This amounted to Athens undoing the power given to the thetes by Themistocles through the prestige given to the navy, taking home the oligarch extremists which had revolted in 411 BC and effectively becoming another member of the Peloponnesian League; just as Sparta had coerced Tegea first, to protect her own way of life, so she now coerced Athens.

In conclusion, despite one definite imperial expedition to Thrace (best illustrated in J.B. Bury and Russell Meiggs’ ‘A History of Greece, p202) and one non-helot related war in 448 BC - the Sacred War - Spartan policy was very much dictated by the necessity of taking precautions against the possibility of a helot revolt just as Thucydides records. Whether basing her own foreign policy on the internal state of affairs at Sparta or within the Peloponnesian League, Spartan policy was ‘always mainly governed by the necessity of taking precautions against the helots’ (Thuc. IV.80) and those are the terms of the question. The only other point worth mentioning is that our main source for the period is Thucydides who makes the observation as translated by de Ste. Croix and that therefore, we are using Thucydides evidence about the period 478-404 BC to back up the reference in the question - making our ability to question the objectivity of Thucydides in this respect, sketchy at best and therefore throwing an inevitable, and presently inconclusive shadow on the subject at hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hi Rohan,
    This is some feed back from reading your essay, once.

In general I felt you’ve made your point about how Spartan Policy was dependant on keeping the Helots down. The major quibble, is at the end when you “dissed” Thucy, on whom you draw a lot of your sources from, and also seems not to best place to put this in your conclusion, a separate paragraph perhaps

My own main reading in this area are, World of Athens, Athenian Empire by McGreogor, Epaminondas,and other books by Hanson<conservative to the core, why I rate him :) >.
    Minor Quibbles –
    - That the Spartans were a highly religious people, as seen by their unwillingness to interupt a festival due to a minor thing like a Persian invasion, also a Spartan King who had to essentially trick his army into advancing when they encountered an earthquake (?details). Also Spartan king who allegedly went mad after violating a sacred site.

- Pausanias, from my reading of Thyd, was a royal jerk who annoyed everyone, and the helot revolt charge was just a convient way to get rid of him

- Spartan ignorance of the outside realm, might be overstated.
    There was an outside community (the Peroliki?) which did not have political rights, would have had a merchant class and thus travelled the Greek world, feeding back intelligence to their masters.
    Religious/Sporting festivals were common, so mixed with fellow Greeks
    Also the role of “Official Friends”, xenophili?, which would provide data.
    Spartan inwardness seems more a pose than an actual cultural trait

- The Battle of Luektra did not end the Helot system in Spartan, but the follow-up campaign by Epaminondas, when he invaded the Heartland with impunity and built Megapolis.

- maskirovka, as a Tom Clancy fan I recognise the phrase, but non fans? :)

- No mention made of the proPersian deals made by Spartan to acquire funds to maintain the war against Athens

- Murder, of the 2000 helot, perhaps too strong a word, in that the Spartans did ritually declare war against them yearly.

Overall an interesting essay, and I hope you do well.

Quoted from Manach
    The major quibble, is at the end when you “dissed” Thucy, on whom you draw a lot of your sources from, and also seems not to best place to put this in your conclusion, a separate paragraph perhaps

Yes you are probably right - but I felt the need to add in the point that Thucydides may have been using the same 'evidence' that I collected from him to justify the statement in the question; which was Thucydides' own statement hence my point (though I disagree with de Ste Croix's translation, tending more towards Rex Warner's translation.
    Quoted from Manach
    That the Spartans were a highly religious people, as seen by their unwillingness to interupt a festival due to a minor thing like a Persian invasion

I have to confess that I wanted to leave religion out of it but that would have been an important justification for the intervention in Doris I suppose...:D
    Quoted from Manach
    Spartan ignorance of the outside realm, might be overstated.
    There was an outside community (the Peroliki?) which did not have political rights, would have had a merchant class and thus travelled the Greek world, feeding back intelligence to their masters.
    Religious/Sporting festivals were common, so mixed with fellow Greeks
    Also the role of “Official Friends”, xenophili?, which would provide data.
    Spartan inwardness seems more a pose than an actual cultural trait

Not quite sure what you mean by this - but I am aware of the periokoi and the proxenoi.

As for Spartan inwardness being a pose, I rather find myself agreeing with you - and with numerous other historians who agree this is the case. C.A. Powell and S.C. Todd are both in that category.
    Quoted from Manach
    maskirovka, as a Tom Clancy fan I recognise the phrase, but non fans

It's a Russian word meaning political intrigue - it's in the Oxford English dictionary I suspect.
    Quoted from Manach
    No mention made of the proPersian deals made by Spartan to acquire funds to maintain the war against Athens

Didn't think it was worth mentioning since it was just another part of the prosecution of the Peloponnesian War which as I endeavoured to point out was just a defence of the Peloponnesian League (which in turn helped to keep the helots down).

• Advertisement

Why do we hear, from antiquity itself, more said against than for Athenian Democracy?

Thucydides, son of Oloros, Aristophanes, Aristotle, Xenophon and the Old Oligarch are the major sources for this era and of these, all are in some manner or another, against Athenian Democracy in the period 478 to 404BC.

Thucydides, son of Oloros was himself a rich man, relative of the strategos, Cimon, and also a relative of Cimon’s successor - Thucydides, son of Melesias. Thucydides the historian witnessed the ostracism of Thucydides, son of Melesias, at the time, the leader of the conservative faction in Athens. Ostracism was a democratic idea, probably instituted by Cleisthenes in 508/7 (M.H. Hansen, Democracy, Athenian, The Oxford Classical Dictionary). Later, in 424 BC, he was himself actually exiled from Athens for his failure to relieve Amphipolis, a valuable city-state in the Northern Aegean. The former of these was under an ability granted to the Ekklesia of 6000, by Cleisthenes, in the reforms of 504/3 BC, part of the beginnings of moderate democracy in Athens. The later was self-imposed due to the fear of what the Ekklesia might do - and no doubt both of these incidents could have justified a distaste for Athenian democracy in Thucydides’ History of the Peloponnesian War. (S. Hornblower, ‘Thucydides’ pp 1-3)

In this Historia, Thucydides’ bias is most notably shown in his polemic on the death of Pericles, (Thuc. 2.65). Here he supports Pericles as a great man (evident elsewhere also, notably Pericles’ Epitaphios) and seems very much to approve of the notion which he describes, ‘in what was nominally a democracy, power was really in the hands of the first citizen.’ When this is contrasted with Thucydides disparaging remarks about Pericles’ successors reveals that Thucydides would agree with democracy only so long as it followed policies with which he agreed. These successors were of course the demagogues who, Thucydides recounts, ‘were so busy with personal intrigues for securing the leadership of the people’ that they lost the war against Sparta. It is important to point out that Pericles, on his mothers side, was an Alcmaeonid, the Alcameonidae being one of the richest and noblest families of Athens. The demagogues such as Cleon were not of the noble classes but yet were wealthy men (from a tannery as Aristophanes points out, in Cleon’s case, in the reference to ‘that leathery Paphlagon’ in The Knights).

Aristophanes was an Athenian playwright, also of wealthy stock, and had suffered an attempted prosecution at the hands of Cleon, for anti-Athenian propaganda (A.H. Sommerstein ‘Lysistrata, The Akharnians, The Clouds’ Introduction, pp4-16). This may have explained the bias against the demagogues in some of his plays, however it is important to note in the case of Aristophanes, that as he was a satirical playwright, and democracy was the prevalent form of government, it would naturally have lent itself to comedic attacks. An example is the Chorus in The Akharnians representing the Athenian Ekklesia (ibid pg 62). Sommerstein records that ‘there is no [smear] campaign against the more “right wing” leaders, such as Nicias’ and this would present the idea that Aristophanes was then slightly more in favour of oligarchy than of democracy and therefore his plays, those that survive, would have reflected such a prejudice.

Xenophon, a noted Lakoniser, shows his true colours in his description of the massacre of the peace party in Corinth, prior to the outbreak of the Corinthian War (Xen. Hell. V.2.8-10) and even goes so far as to describe the murdering few as ‘the best men’ - a biased term for oligarchs. Xenophon himself had to be wealthy, since he wrote his Anabasis, the Lakedaimon Politeia, the Hellenika and his Memorabilia, led troops to Persia and spent much of his time in Sparta, activities unavailable to men of lesser resources. The very fact that he spent so much time in Sparta, not to mention the bias evident in his Lak. Pol. , suggests that he was very sympathetic towards the Spartan way of life. While composed of elements of Monarchy (the dual Kingship), Oligarchy (the Gerousia) and Democracy (the Ephors and the Assembly), this was distinctly oligarchic and for supportive references see the attributes ascribed by Xenophon to Sparta through the oligarchic laws of Lycurgus (Xen. Lak. Pol. V.2-6).

The Old Oligarch is so thoroughly prejudiced that we can see from the opening remarks of his ‘Constitution of the Athenians’ that he disapproves of the democracy because the commoners have more power than the ‘respectable’ few (J.M. Moore, ‘Xenophon and Aristotle on Democracy and Oligarchy’ Pg 24). I find that Moore’s arguments against the ascription of the ‘Constitution of the Athenians’ to Xenophon are to be agreed with and so refer to the Old Oligarch.

Aristotle was a philosopher and his Athenaion Politeia (referred to hereafter as the Ath Pol) is distinctly hostile to Pericles and the payment for jurors, which Pericles introduced, since supposedly this paved the way for bribery. This was however the only fair way to ensure that the Courts were not simply the method of oligarchic revenge on those popular leaders who were brought there on a charge (usually of a Graphe Paranomon). This is reinforced when the description of events after the death of Pericles in 429 BC becomes ever more hostile (P.J. Rhodes, ‘Commentary on the Ath Pol’ pp 282-285). There is no underlying reason, so far as I can determine, for Aristotle to be hostile to Athenian democracy except based on the merits of that system and its converse - oligarchy. This leads me to a more important issue than the personal biases of the sources - precisely those merits and disadvantages with which we are presented by the same sources.

In an age where democracy is almost universally respected, it is hard for us to understand the reasoning behind the distaste for democracy when we do not impute selfish motivation to the anti-democrats. M.H. Hansen cites oligarchic viewpoint that the eleutheria demanded by democracy was a ‘mistaken ideal that led to a deplorable pluralism’ (M.H. Hansen, Democracy, Athenian, The Oxford Classical Dictionary).

Bribery in the courts, the reason cited as one of those for the opposition of Aristotle to Democracy, was a much better reason; it was evident in Sparta with the democratically elected position of the Ephors; poor men who could have been faced with incentives from the rich Kings. The Dikasteria were formed of six thousand people who turned up to the Agora - and these could be the urban poor of whom Plato was so disparaging (Plato, Republic 565A). Many famous figures such as Pericles and Cimon to name but two, went through and survived the process of eisangelia - and this may have been due to bribery (there are interesting comparisons to make here with Cicero’s Verrines on the prosecution of public figures and bribery).

The transfer of power from Areopagus to Ekklesia and Boule under the Ephialtic reforms meant that oligarchs were no longer elected Archon and from then on had a seat for life in the supreme decision making body of Athens; this practice had meant that the Archons who were elected were rich men who were popular with the people for doing exactly what Cimon did regarding the fences around his land (Plutarch, Cimon 10). With the sortition of archons and the complete irrelevence of the Areopagus (except in cases of religious crime and murder), people such as Thucydides the historian would no longer have played such a large part in the political life of Athens. The leaders of Athenian political life were forever aristocratic or wealthy, from Themistocles and Aristeides to Cleophon to Demosthenes, but the actual deciders were now those who met in the Ekklesia. This would have created resentment among those with reason to dislike democracy - and an excellent example is in Aristotle’s Politics, when the demagogue is likened to ‘the flatterer of the tyrant,’ meaning that the will of the lower classes became the tyrant. (Aristotle, Politics, 1292a 20-30).

Of course one must also discuss whether or not Athenian Democracy actually had any faults to cause the criticisms of the ancient sources – and for example, when Aristotle claims that the demagogues failed to restore Athenian power, he was of course correct – the Lamian War, caused by the democratic will to preserve Athens from Macedon reduced Athens to a vassal state of Alexander. Such an account is similar to what happened in the aftermath of the Sicilian disaster (see Moore, Pg 258 reference to the opinions of Aristotle in the Ath. Pol.,) when the aristocrats were angered by the policy of the radicals in the Ekklesia (though Nicias and Lamachus could not in my opinion have counted among those) who failed to reinforce the Sicilian Expedition sufficiently or depending on one’s point of view, despatched said expedition at all. Such inconsistency was a serious problem in Athenian policy under the demagogues at the least (which proved to be more the rule rather than the exception that Pericles represented from 443 – 429BC) and Donald Kagan discusses this brilliantly in ‘Plans and Resources,’ the first chapter of The Archidamian War.

The Demos also seemed to have been far too easily swayed by eloquence and Hansen reinforces this view with the confirmation that ‘it was always a small group of about twenty citizens who, more or less, “professionally” initiated Athenian policy’ (Democracy, Athenian, The Oxford Classical Dictionary). I find it telling to note that politeuomenoi as these were called never seemed to be the men who rebelled against the state however, in instances such as 411 BC (for a good example of the few considering themselves put upon but yet in believing themselves better managers of the ship of state, see Thuc.VIII.65-66)

In conclusion therefore, the issue of whether or not Athenian Democracy deserved the criticism which it received is important; if we can establish whether the purported faults were real or not, then we can decide why we might hear more said against than for Athenian Democracy – if, in effect, it created more problems than it solved. Athens’ form of government had faults, of that we can be sure – and one of these was fickleness but in my opinion, the Corinthian criticism of Athenian democracy was that self same democracy’s strength. ‘An Athenian is always an innovator, quick to form a resolution and quick at carrying it out…they will take risks against their better judgement and still remain confident in the midst of danger’ (Thuc I.70) and while I agree with Aristotle to some extent that the fall of the Empire was the fault of the democracy (Moore, Pg257), it was even more the fault of Alcibiades and Cleophon specifically – and the fault of the ‘few’ for not having someone of Periclean strength to take steady control.

We hear more about the disadvantages of Athenian Democracy from the Ancient Sources in this period since it is only the oligarchic type of men who have, either by chance survived, or who ever wrote at all (I would be inclined towards the former given the survival of the Philippics of Demosthenes for example, he who was a rhetores and leader of state). Thucydides, Xenophon, Aristotle, Aristophanes and the Old Oligarch all for one reason or another dislike Athenian Democracy, not just because of the class into which they were each so obviously born but some certainly because of personal reasons, which have been outlined above. For my part, I would agree with de Ste Croix that ‘the class struggle on the political plane was probably much milder than in any other city in Greece’ (de Ste. Croix, The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World, p296) and that as such, democracy was a success for those of the aristocratic classes who managed to retain power – and therein lies the crux of the matter; those writing were not the men who were in power but yet had similar or in some cases superior breeding to those who were.

Manach, any advice for that one? The advice on Thucy in the last one paid dividends lol - my professor thinks like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I have to confess that I wanted to leave religion out of it

Spoken like a true Marxist :D

Interesting stuff- my historical knowledge is patchy at best, but you could call me a "fan" of the Spartans, they facinate me, their training, their redoubtable spirit, their dicipline, their formations...and of course their history.

You left a lot about Persia out, I guess you were writing a specific facet of Spartan history which, as I've said, I'm a little patchy on. Still I gotta tip my hat @ you one more time and gasp in awe. I might be in danger of blowing sunshine up yer ass here but you certainly have a great mind in there and it shows.

I'm just about to read your Athentian essay now, great stuff for a rainy work day like today. Thanks for giving me something good to read.

Advertisement