Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal to dump waste in commercial bin you don't own?

• 29-09-2020 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭

I reported, to the county council, someone who dumped several bags of waste into the 1100L commercial waste bins at my work (and non recyclable waste in a recycling bin at that). The bins were left out for collection, so they were accessible without trespass onto our property.

The litter warden came back to me and said that as they put them in a bin and not on the ground, no littering had been done, so nothing could be done against them.

Is that right? Does that mean all those dirtbag people dumping rubbish down country lanes and the like just need to find some accessible bins or skips and the paying owners of those bins and skips cannot do anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may depend on the council bye-laws. Which council area are you in?

While it may not be littering, another offence may have been committed. It sounds like the warden didn't want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A few years ago I had to contact a DCC litter warden over an unmarked wheelie bin that had been left in my garden. While at the house he lifted the lid and saw a marked delivery box in it that a passer by had deposited so he proceeded to write out a fixed fine. I asked him what he was doing as I thought I was getting a ticket, to which he said that the recipient of the box had used somebody else's bin to dispose of their own household waste and that they would be getting a fine for same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It was in South Dublin County Council. The warden made no suggestion that it was a limitation of their bye-laws and didn't just say it was not a littering issue so outside of her jurisdiction (I asked about calling the guards and she said they probably couldn't do anything either). She even suggested that it is up to us to make sure no one can get at our bins (i.e. that it was kind of our fault).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the person could be in breach of both Bye-law 2.1(a) and 2.10(c) of the SDCC waste bye-laws. https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/environment/recycling-and-waste/litter-management/

527869.png

527870.png

Advertisement