Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proof air vents in new home

Options
  • 29-09-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I live in a new A-rated home. The ventilation is through a central extract for kitchens / bathrooms and fresh air though old school wall vents which you can slide open and closed. Asides from the craziness of having freezing cold air blow through what is a big hole in the wall in the middle of winter, the vents let in a lot of noise from passing traffic. This is a real annoyance because otherwise the insulation in the house is brilliant.

I would love to have a MHRV retrofitted but from what I understand it is not feasible without major work. And tearing up a new house to put in ducts is not something I can afford or want to do at the moment, especially after spending so long getting it decorated and new floors down etc.

Is there anything I can put into the existing vents or over the outside covers to dampen the traffic noise without blocking the fresh air? I know how important the ventilation is so I don’t want to end up with mould or condensation. I’m not looking for total silence and know that is not realistic, just want to cut it down a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can get "black hole ventilators" but the effective free area is much lower than a simple pipe fitting the same size hole, perhaps half.

This means you may struggle to achieve the required amount of ventilation.

For example,

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/anti-draught-black-hole-ventilator-bm725-white-outer-cowl-3461399.html?name=Black+Hole+Ventilator&type=simple

..fits a 127mm hole but only has free area equivalent to a 62mm pipe (30cm2).

Also, your holes may be smaller than 5", and increasing the hole size is a bit tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the external wall construction

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

whats the external wall construction

It is a traditional build, not a timber frame. I'm guessing block then?

Thanks, so you could consider drilling new holes on the non road side.
    The other angle is to fit some sort of a baffle on the wall outside over the vent to allow plenty air flow but stop the direct noise. flow.
    I am only making this up as I write this:
    \
    say a 12" square alu plate fitted 4 " from the wall on four pegs with some sort of alu or plastic louvres on the sides.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am only making this up as I write this
    Acoustic louvres are a thing, apparently.

e.g. random Google result, not a recommendation

https://www.h-v-c.com/acoustic-weather-louvres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 McOptimist

Lumen wrote: »
    Acoustic louvres are a thing, apparently.

e.g. random Google result, not a recommendation

https://www.h-v-c.com/acoustic-weather-louvres

Won't these vents reduce the level of ventilation? Safe to use in a room with a fire?

OP you can install MHRV without ducts. You can get single unit items that go exactly where your hole in the wall vents are today. Google "ductless mhrv".

McOptimist wrote: »
    Won't these vents reduce the level of ventilation? Safe to use in a room with a fire?

OP you can install MHRV without ducts. You can get single unit items that go exactly where your hole in the wall vents are today. Google "ductless mhrv".

The vents all have a specified airflow, they are not sealed.
    Ductless mhrv is very expensive and very very sub-optimal

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McOptimist

That's good that they have airflow specied. Will they reduce current level of ventilation?

Ductless mhrv is sub optimal, in comparison to what?

I'd imagine it's a big improvement to gaping holes in the wall. Plus no one is going to go to expense and hassle of ripping up a new build house to install ducted mhrv. So like most things, can't view the problem in isolation by just comparing ducted Vs ductless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

McOptimist wrote: »
    That's good that they have airflow specied. Will they reduce current level of ventilation?

Ductless mhrv is sub optimal, in comparison to what?

I'd imagine it's a big improvement to gaping holes in the wall. Plus no one is going to go to expense and hassle of ripping up a new build house to install ducted mhrv. So like most things, can't view the problem in isolation by just comparing ducted Vs ductless.

True. There are several factors to consider. For example is a ductless system ok noisewise?

Advertisement