Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1901 Census

Options
  • 17-05-2010 4:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is to be launched on 3rd June, according to someone on Derek Mooney today.
    No update on the actual census website, but they've never been good at updating the update page!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I was in the National Archives on Friday and I asked the guy at the desk about it. I said that I heard it would be online around June and he just said "Yeeaahh...sure...I mean the 1911 one was only two years late..." :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know! Riddled with errors (including one I reported the day Dublin 1911 was launched in December 07, still not fixed as of this afternoon), shocking amount of money spent, don't get me started. I could complain vociferously but it's a free amazing resource and I am glad to have access to it in any computer searchable format. The original microfilms and original papers can always be referred to for clarification. I've got some Dub ancestors hiding in 1901 (i.e. I can't find them) so I'm really excited.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yeah me too, I've a family that never seemed to stay in one place so I really need the computer to help me find them. I'm heading back to the archives next week to track some of the relatives who I know stayed put.

And money, I won't talk to you about because I think I'd get sick myself :P I could have a deposit on a house at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Thanks for the update. :)

I can't wait for the 1901 to be launched. I haven't a clue where my Great Grandfather was in Dublin on Census night! I have quite a few AWOL ancestors! :D

Agree about the errors. My Grandfather was called Oswald, poor man, and they had him down as Donald. I think he would have preferred to have been called Donald! :D My Great Grandmother's sister was called Sally but despite my sending in umpteen corrections they did correct Oswald but Sally is still Lally. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Me too!!
    can't wait for 1901 census to uncover an entire family who vanished off the radar between 1890 and 1903.
    As for mistakes my poor granny not only has her name mis-transcribed but she's a male!! I've emailed the correction several times to no avail.

• Advertisement

I can only think of one mistake which has been rectified since they first launched (spelling of James Connolly's return, transcribed as ConnElly). At the moment they're highlighting the Marquis of Waterford's return, which is fascinating. However, you won't find him listed under any of his surnames (which he has put on the form), you'll find him under "Marquess".

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
    Scroll down on the homepage to take a look.

And compare to finding it manually:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?surname=&exact=&firstname=&county=Waterford&townland=curraghmore&ded=&age=&sex=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=100

By chance, I reported this mistake last year when I was browsing and saw it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Why did they not start with the 1901 census to begin with?,I can't wait for it to come online myself,at least it will give some missing info that will help towards confirming people on passenger lists and so on going to America

They did 1911 first because the microfilms which they used to digitise were better preserved. 1901 was done with older microfilm technology and I believe a portion of it had to be re-scanned from the original paper returns.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

oh i can't wait for that to come out either i will see other members of my family like my great great great granda and the ones that went to america!!! Why do some of those records say church of england?

I'm open to correction, but I think the Church of England was interchangeable with the CoI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

On some early Irish civil marriage certs I've seen 'United Church of England and Ireland'.. not certain of the dates but think they were from the 1840s and 50s

Shane

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I think the Church of England was interchangeable with the CoI.

Yes, they are both Anglican. :)

pinkypinky wrote: »

Maybe it was church of england and they changed it to their own church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Cannot wait for this census! I've been researching my family tree and have come to a halt at the 1911 Census so hopefully the 1901 can give me some answers and older relatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

The 1901 census is available here, this good man has been adding it for years, great work.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

Obviously not every county is there but it's a great help, also it's free unlike that BRS county website.

keryl wrote: »
    The 1901 census is available here, this good man has been adding it for years, great work.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

Obviously not every county is there but it's a great help, also it's free unlike that BRS county website.

Ugh is there going to be no religion in this census that wouldve been helpfull

Religion is recorded on the 1901 census. It may be that the transcribers didn't use this as a searchable field for their website. The NA site will give that as an option.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

1901 is ONLINE NOW!!! yey!!!

yea but its not as good because i can't find my mums family this time but i found my dads, and my dads mothers family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LittleMissR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

The day has finally arrived ...I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning today! For the first time ever I rushed in to work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I wonder can anyone explain something to me about the 1901 census.

I looked up my great great grandfather who's origin I'm trying to trace. His birthplace is listed as Ireland, but not the county. Every one else in the household has the county listed (as instructed on the census form). Is there any signifigance to that? Does it mean he didn't know where he was born? :confused: Or does it mean something else?

Any insight much appreciated.

My Great Grandfather and his brother arn't listed! :(

genie wrote: »
    My Great Grandfather and his brother arn't listed! :(

try a different form of your surname.

owenc wrote: »
    try a different form of your surname.

I've tried all the variants, tried searching by age, religion, location and occupation, he just isn't listed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LittleMissR

Genie,

One of my friends had the same problem - but she found her ancestor by looking at the place they lived - do you have any idea where your family were living at that time? Might be worth a shot?

BTW, my friend's ancestor's name had been transcribed incorrectly which is why it wasn't appearing in any of the search results - she had tried all variations, like you.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...

Thanks for your reply! :)

Yes, I know his exact address. The family owned horse-drawn cabs and carriages and I suspect that he and his brother may have been out working (until late or all night possibly) and as a result weren't ennumerated.

They also lived with their step-mother and they disliked each other so it's possible that they may have been left off deliberately! :rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I'm having trouble finding relatives in this census. A whole family has disappeared. I've tried using variants of their names but still having no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Pretty Pistol,

See my thread about my grandfather's family.

I finally found them by rooting around. The name of the family was transcribed wrongly: B became D, and even though I'd tried a multiple of variants (the original language spelling and the "posh" versions) I didn't think that the first letter would be wrong.

Secondly, the name of the townland was spelled wrongly. So, I couldn't find it initially as well.

I'm still searching for family members on my Dad's side but their name is less unusual (but still not that prevalent) and I know a lot less about them.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

OK, I was looking at the 1901 Census last night and thought it was strange but put it down to tiredness, but I've just searched again and at least two families I am researching in Co. Sligo (and whom I already have 1901 Census forms for) are listed in the index for Co. Meath!! :eek:

The House and Building Return shows the correct county so make sure you check this, too, as part of your search until these errors are ironed out. :)

Advertisement