Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reaney Surname

Options
  • 14-06-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone have any info on the surname in Ireland, it has variants of Reany and Rainey. I do know the Reaneys in the Republic are a different family than the Ulster-Scots.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Is it a Norman name? I think Reynolds and Reynard are Norman (or decended from a Norman name that comes from fox), sounds a bit like those!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from MacLysaght's surnames of Ireland :

(O) Reaney - Ó Raighne (a form of Reginald) The name of an old Westmeath family where the place-name Clonyrina (Cluain Uí Raighne) indicates their location. Reaney is also an English name, and is often spelt Rainey

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure of Norman ancestry as there has been nothing to back it up. Regarding Reynard, I've been told it's derived from that but again nothing backs it up.

Reynolds is an old Irish name, the English version may be Norman I'm not sure.

MacLysaght's book I think and I may be wrong but it looks as though thats the name Rigney which also has the Irish spelling of Raighne. There are Raineys in Ulster but they are a different family.

I have been trying to find the origin of the name along with another Reaney to get a more reliable origin than that offered by some of those books. Most Reaneys/Raineys are located in Cork, Galway and Mayo. Galway and Mayo families now look as though they are all related in the past 400 years.

Advertisement